PDA

View Full Version : changed control arms, still a clunk...

A4_Andre
01-10-2006, 06:10 AM
i did my control arms some time ago and i have still been getting a clunking noise from the passenger front side... what else could this possibly be? i havent looked at it myself yet because it's cold outside and i dont have the time during the week cause of work.

RedRocket
01-10-2006, 06:57 AM
Same here. It's weird. I changed Uppers, Lowers, Tie rods, Sway links, and I still have some clunks.

I'm thinking it's strut bushings. Not sure if it's called that, it's like a round piece that goes on top of the spring.

Daft
01-10-2006, 08:45 AM
Here's all the possible parts that could make a clunk in the front of the car:

Control Arms
Stabilizer links
Tie Rod ends (inner or outter)
Loose strut assembly
Loose wheel (would also shake the steering)
CV shaft bearing failure (inner or outter) (would happen most on corners)

With the loose strut assembly, it could be loose in several places:

Top mounting bracket
Bottom mounting bracket
Top nut that holds strut to mount bracket

If you had new struts/springs installed right around the time that the clunking began or had new upper control arms installed, you could have a loose strut.

When replacing control arms, always replace all the locking hardware and torque them to spec when installing. These parts edure alot of vibration and can work their way loose over time.

RedRocket
01-10-2006, 12:21 PM
Good info Daft,

Do you think if you over torque the swaybar links or the 4 bolts in the center of the swaybar that you could end up with some clunks?

Daft
01-10-2006, 12:58 PM
I doubt it because all the swaybar links use rubber grommets with a metal sleeve running through them.

The Swaybar brackets that bolt it to the subframe also use rubber grommets to reduce vibrations and jarring from traveling into the frame of the car. In addition, the bolts themselves travel though the metal bracket and into the subframe and never make contact with the actual rubber grommet.

A4_2.8tuner
01-10-2006, 01:29 PM
yeah mine did the same thing...i changed everything and it ended up being the upper strut mount bushing. if you have changed your suspension at all and the strut bushing was not aligned perfect, then it will clunk. so check that...more than likely thats your problem.

A4_Andre
01-11-2006, 06:13 AM
i guess it would be the strut bushing, i've had my bilsteins on for about a year almost and it started up not to long after that... will this be a pain to fix myself? will i have to get an allignment again?

Daft
01-11-2006, 08:04 AM
The upper strut bushing will require you to remove the strut/spring and separate them to get the top strut mount off.

This will not require an alignment to be done afterwards. The only times that a front alignment really needs to be done is when you remove the upper control arms from the subframe bracket or when you replace your tie rods.

Simply remove the three nuts that are covered in the engine bay on the strut tower. Remove the lower bolt that secures the strut body and then you will have to disconnect the rear facing lower control arm from the wheel bearing housing.

Once you do that, you can pull downward on the brake disc and the whole suspension assembly will move down. Pull the strut upward while doing this and the stut's forked bottom bracket will be able to move up and over the front lower control arm.

At this point, you can now pull the whole strut/spring assembly down and towards the passenger compartment. The assmebly will be able to pass right through where the rear facing lower control arm sat.

A4_Andre
01-11-2006, 09:46 AM
you know what, this most deffinitely is my problem because i know after my car was lowered the rears clunked very little and so did the front, but the fronts seem to have gotten worse with time

A4_Andre
01-14-2006, 10:02 AM
also, if i drive with the strut bushing not alligned properly for an extended time will this ruin it?