PDA

View Full Version : Random hesitation/bucking

Sazexa
11-02-2017, 08:57 AM
Hey everyone. I've noticed lately my car has a bit of a hesisation or bucking some times, when accelerating. It's usually in third, or some times second gear, at or below 3,000 RPM's. It feel similar to when driving a rear wheel drive car and you get some slight traction loss because the road is bumpy, but not as severe.

It's an '09 S5 V8 manual. The car has around 96,000 miles on it. Only things done to it are a cat-back exhaust, and a K&N air filter and a silicon intake tube. My guess at the moment is either spark plugs (not sure the last time they were replaced) or a carbon cleaning, which has never been done. There is currently no engine codes being thrown. I also don't believe it's a clutch issue because if I'm on the high way and slam the pedal down from when in third or fourth at around 3,000 RPM's, the car takes off with almost no hesitation (not enough to be something abnormal.)

Any ideas, anyone?

outback
11-02-2017, 09:40 PM
Sorry, mine is Tiptronic. I hope someone can give you an idea. Any codes with a vagcom cable? Everyone always seems to bring up carbon cleaning...

Chug
11-08-2017, 03:22 AM
Sorry, mine is Tiptronic. I hope someone can give you an idea. Any codes with a vagcom cable? Everyone always seems to bring up carbon cleaning...

Mine did this before carbon cleaning. Hard to say for sure but if you never had it done, this is likely the culprit

outatime
11-10-2017, 06:15 AM
Subscribed. I'm trying to troubleshoot virtually the same issue right now. Same car. 45k miles. Just had carbon cleaning and new coils. Plugs were done in January at dealer. I threw a MAF at it but that was stupid and didn't help. I'm running out of ideas. No codes.

Sazexa
11-10-2017, 02:41 PM
Subscribed. I'm trying to troubleshoot virtually the same issue right now. Same car. 45k miles. Just had carbon cleaning and new coils. Plugs were done in January at dealer. I threw a MAF at it but that was stupid and didn't help. I'm running out of ideas. No codes.

Do you have an aftermarket air filter? I noticed this only started happening after getting a K&N filter, and honestly it's kind of smoothed out for the most part. It might be air filter related as silly as it sounds, or in my case posssibly fuel filter related as well. I haven't ordered new plugs yet, but I'll be doing so soon and I'll report back after that. If that doesn't solve it, the next step will be a fuel filter. And if that doesn't solve it, I'll go with a carbon cleaning as the car could really use it. lol