PDA

View Full Version : okay. im at my wits end with this spark plug issue

Quattrocket
01-06-2006, 10:41 PM
my issue is that since i installed the k04 Ive had repeated spark plug fouling. When the car is first started cold. it will run fine at idle, If I drive it right away, even without boosting, the plugs will foul at open throttle under load. if i let the car warm up first they wont foul, but will miss a bit. Sometimes even when warm it will misfire a bit but clear itself up.
I just installed the BKR7E plugs after work this Afternoon and cyl2 has already fouled out. All the plugs are black. insulators are black, all of the electrodes are black except the very tip, and the tip of the plug is a light grey. The plugs are a chalky(sutty) black, not wet-fouled.
I have the fuel pressure dialed down a bit to 35PSI as the suggested 37-39 was fouling really often. Im afraid to go any lower as I dont want to destroy my engine. Any help is appreciated.

k0mpresd
01-07-2006, 04:33 AM
are you setting your fuel pressure on or off vacuum?

bitterchild
01-07-2006, 08:18 AM
go lower

Quattrocket
01-07-2006, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by k0mpresd
are you setting your fuel pressure on or off vacuum?
im setting it while off vacuum.

Quattrocket
01-07-2006, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by bitterchild
go lower
How low should I set it? I dont wanna fuck my motor.

bitterchild
01-07-2006, 09:46 AM
If you're fouling then it is rich. Got it? You need to differentiate if it's fouling everywhere or only under certain conditions. Honestly you need a wideband. Why is your setup not plug and play? Are they new injectors? You have a flowbalance sheet?

k0mpresd
01-07-2006, 10:08 AM
yes, it sounds like a wideband would be a good investment...espicially if youre having rich issues and really worried about going too lean

what size injectors are you running?

Quattrocket
01-07-2006, 10:09 AM
im running the bosche red tops that they suggest with the pc-16 setup

goldenchild
01-07-2006, 10:19 AM
u ever think its ur coil packs. plugs just dont foul and un foul once they r they r. 35 psi is pretty low id say. most people run 3 bar which is around 45 i believe. id try and stick ur stock 4 bar fpr in. when i had my k04 setup i ran the tt injectors and couldnt get it to run right bc id foul my plugs out super fast so i finally go it with doin what i suggested

Quattrocket
01-07-2006, 10:35 AM
im running the bosche red tops that they suggest with the pc-16 setup
uhhhh, i dont know why this posted again

rccthitman
01-07-2006, 10:55 AM
i just had the same problem after i installed my k-04 setup and the problem was the maf regulator and two out of four coil packs. i think that could be your answer.

k0mpresd
01-07-2006, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Quattrocket
im setting it while off vacuum.
when you reattach the vacuum line what does the fuel pressure drop to?

k0mpresd
01-07-2006, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by rccthitman
i just had the same problem after i installed my k-04 setup and the problem was the maf regulator and two out of four coil packs. i think that could be your answer.
what is a maf regulator?

and if 2 out of 4 coils are bad then your car would misfire from here to high heaven and run like straight ass crack

Quattrocket
01-07-2006, 11:00 AM
when you reattach the vacuum line what does the fuel pressure drop to?
its at 36 right now, and when its on it drops to about 28.

Quattrocket
01-07-2006, 11:01 AM
what is a maf regulator?

bitterchild
01-07-2006, 03:08 PM
fvck your car

Quattrocket
01-07-2006, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by bitterchild
fvck your car
Why you gotta be like that?

bitterchild
01-07-2006, 04:33 PM
b/c i was sitting here for about 15 min trying to post up some help and I can't do anything w/o the car in front of me. It would be an hour or two of diagnosing if it were

Quattrocket
01-07-2006, 05:15 PM
LOL, I thoght you were pissed off at me for something. I pulled the plugs and squeezed the gap a little more. seems to have helped a bit. hard to tell right now though B/C it only misfires when the car has sat over night in the cold.
I also dialed down the fuel pressure like you said and pulled the plugs out and they look pretty good. insulatator is brown with a little black, and the rest only has a little sut on it, blew it out with some compressed air and they still havent fouled.
just a side note, but the plugs will start firing again after the car is warmed up properly. I dont have any sort of plug and play because money is tight being after xmas and all, plus I wasted my money on a plasma big screen and home theater sytem. so im broke.
Ill post again tomorrow after I try to start it in the morning.

k0mpresd
01-07-2006, 05:20 PM
my apr chipped k03 car would misfire durning the winter after it sat overnight, when the sec air pump was on for about the first 30 sec's is when it did it the most...most of the other time it was fine..[up]

ive heard it can be linked back to the 7e's instead of running a 6e

mike-2ptzero
01-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Might want to run hotter plugs during the winter time since the IAT's are going to be alot lower then during the summer. Yes most run about 36psi but you can always go a bit lower if you need to. Just make sure to make logs with the vag of 003/031 so you can keep an eye on what happens after you make a change to the fpr.

If your running that rich at 36, try dropping it down to 34psi and make a log. You might also want to look at block 032 to see what the fuel trims look like. If they are very high on the rich side you need to lower the fuel pressure.

goldenchild- The PC16 was tuned on RC 310's which flow less fuel and even on a 3 bar fpr the cars ran rich. He cant throw in a 4 bar fpr because its not tuned to run with that even while using the stock 240cc injectors.

bitterchild
01-07-2006, 08:58 PM
yea, definetely try the 6s. 7e in ontario mid Jan isn't exactly a good cold startup scenario.