PDA

View Full Version : need help quick with clutch

yellowturboaudi
01-06-2006, 08:30 PM
here is the deal. gf was driving car. (big mistake i know) she attempted to downshift and instead of 4th she went into second. well when she did this the clutch went to the floor board. hasnt moved off the floor board since! any ideas what is wrong? replaced the slave cylinder and bleed it. and there is absolutely zero feeling in the clutch when you pick it off the floor board? any ideas??? really dont want to take it to the dealership!!!

Nukkah03
01-06-2006, 09:58 PM
check the release bearing, same thing happened to me the metal clip came off, girlfriend was driving too, go figure huh?

BranCKY3
01-06-2006, 10:10 PM
Did you guys learn your lesson? [:)]

yellowturboaudi
01-07-2006, 09:43 AM
more info on "release bearing"

yellowturboaudi
01-08-2006, 07:14 AM
ttt

yellowturboaudi
01-09-2006, 07:26 AM
no more input? confused on the "bearing clip"

mike-2ptzero
01-09-2006, 08:20 AM
It is called a throwout bearing. It on the end of the fork which pushes down on the fingers of the diaphram. Since the whole pressure plate and diaphram are rotating with the flywheel the throwout bearing must also spin on the end that faces the clutch. If the tb fails or falls apart it can then slip thru the fingers not allowing it to push the clutch down to release the disk.

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/2716custom_clutch.jpg

andy@sbc
01-09-2006, 09:32 AM
chances are good that you have rpm related damage which is usually an exploaded disk or pressure plate casting. ouch

yellowturboaudi
01-10-2006, 09:56 AM
here is what i dont get. you can stat the car in gear. and shift it without the clutch. so does that help narrow it down? all signs would point to slave cylinder, but thats already been replaced and bleed. so you think its my best bet to just replace the clutch/pressure plate/ throwout bearing? best bet? and that should fix it?

blacka41point8t
01-10-2006, 10:06 AM
sell the car.

mike-2ptzero
01-10-2006, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by yellowturboaudi
here is what i dont get. you can stat the car in gear. and shift it without the clutch. so does that help narrow it down? all signs would point to slave cylinder, but thats already been replaced and bleed. so you think its my best bet to just replace the clutch/pressure plate/ throwout bearing? best bet? and that should fix it?

So you can drive the car but using the clutch doesn't help any? I would have to guess the only way your changing gears while the car is running is by rev matching the gears. If you cant put the car into gear while its running by using the clutch pedal then something has failed at the clutch which you wont know till you pull the trans. BTW, when you had the slave replace was it hard to get the slave in? If not then the tb or diaphram has failed.

bitterchild
01-10-2006, 10:20 AM
I think he means the drivetrain is unloaded. He is unable to transfer any torque hence being able to shift to start the car in gear and shift to any gear at any engine speed w/o depressing the clutch pedal

yellowturboaudi
01-10-2006, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by blacka41point8t
sell the car.
yea, thanks for the pointless input!!!

yes correct on the shifting in gear, by speed matching the gears without even using the clutch......... its going in the shop tom. ordered a southbend clutch kit and getting it installed. bye bye $1000