PDA

View Full Version : Car Won't Fire...Ignition the source..I think

schearer225
01-06-2006, 07:50 PM
OK, it just seems to be on thing right after the other.... but anyways here is my dilema:
I just got done installing a Duel stage Boost controller, and didn't get to start it up after the installation, so i go to fire it up the next day, (about 20 hours later) and the car won't start. I look at the battery gauge and notice it is at about 10.8 volts. So i think oh shit, i jsut drained my battery from listening to music the day before in the garage and maybe left a interior lgiht on. I try to turn it over and give it a little gas to try and get it to fire, and it kinda makes a attempt at one point and then quites. So i drift it out fo the driveway and try to drift-start it ( semi-hill and let the clutch out to try and get it to fire over) no luck. Next i try to jump it with a toyota celica and no luck, thinking it might be cuz the battery is so low and the celica might not be able to jump a battery that dead, i try my dad's Dodge Ram Hemi. No luck, it kinda trys to start maybe once every 10 tries but just won't turn over. I then charge the battery overnight. I check the battery and it is holding charge fine, and is at the right level (12.8) Still won't start. I then think it might be a fueling problem and notice my fuel pressure gauge isn't rising at all when the key is in the accesories and when trying to start it. Next i put the stock fuel pressure regulator in to see if that makes a diffrence, no luck. I also can hear my pump since it is a 255LPH pump so i know that is pumping but i take the fuel feed of the fuel rail anways to check it out, and it is giving about 1/4 of a water bottle filled with fuel while tryign to turn it over for about 5 seconds, so i think that is more than enough fuel. Next i check the plugs and i think i find the problem. The plugs are pitch black and there is completly no spacing between the plug. totally fouled out I then change plugs and gap them to .030(BKR7e) i then go and try to fire it up thinking it would start, no luck. I checked alll the fuse in the fuse box and they all are good. now it is making me belive i am having a ignition issue.

Now my question is:
-can all 4 coilpacks go at once?
-how can i tell if i am getting spark to the plugs??
-Is there any relay i can check or what else can i do to get this thing to fire up??
-is there a way to check any type of resistance to see if i am getting correct spark???

Guys i really don't knwo what to do here, it just seems like it is a snowball effect with problems recently, first i think i have a fueling issue,then i try to fix it, ends up being a bad A/F readign form my AEM gauge, now i can't even start the car. and i am so drained i can't even explain it. I just want the damn thing to run

[=(] [headbang] [confused] <that pretty much sum's up how i am feeling right now thansk for any input and if you read my whole post, cuz i seem to alwas write a book, your awsome[wrench]

-Zack

4ingDrive
01-06-2006, 08:49 PM
Pull codes. It's just guessing without them.

bitterchild
01-06-2006, 08:58 PM
pull a pack out, insert a screwdriver in it and touch it to the head. Step away and attempt to crank it. If the screwdriver has contact w/ the coilpack output and the head it should spark if its working. There's your spark test. Don't shock yourself.

You've done a good job of diagnosing, just keep at it. You're close.

mike-2ptzero
01-06-2006, 11:23 PM
Well if the car started before you did the work and isn't starting after the work. You did something to cause it. Go back and check everything you did, plus anything close to those areas. If you had to run wires, check to make you didn't knock soemething out of place. If you had to wire up any power or ground, make sure you didn't unplug something or cause a short which would blow a fuse that might only power up while the car is running. Plus get a vag and see if there are any codes since that will help.

schearer225
01-07-2006, 04:47 AM
I scanned the car and came up with no codes, except: terminal 30 low voltage [Sporadic] <whatever that means. I had this code before the problems too. I checked and checked and check all of what i did and nothign is wrong in that way, they only wiring i did was run a ground wire, and a power wire form the cigarette lighter. also i just re-routed some vaccum lines for the boost controller. I think i am going to do the screwdriver thing to see if i am getting spark, if i am not gettign spark i cna go form there..... i will post back probably tommorow with a update...thanks guys[wrench]

mike-2ptzero
01-07-2006, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by schearer225
I scanned the car and came up with no codes, except: terminal 30 low voltage [Sporadic] <whatever that means. I had this code before the problems too. I checked and checked and check all of what i did and nothign is wrong in that way, they only wiring i did was run a ground wire, and a power wire form the cigarette lighter. also i just re-routed some vaccum lines for the boost controller. I think i am going to do the screwdriver thing to see if i am getting spark, if i am not gettign spark i cna go form there..... i will post back probably tommorow with a update...thanks guys[wrench]

Is the lighter plug still powered up?

That low voltage code just means that the power was disconnected from the ecu. This happens if you unplug the ecu or disconnect the battery. If you haven't done either of those then there is a blown fuse that usually sends power to the ecu.

juju4uofa
01-07-2006, 08:49 AM
I don't think you've done anything to your ECU so this probably isn't it. But just for something else to try; turn the ignition on and look at your dash lights. All of the lights should be on including your check engine light. If the CEL is not on then it's your ECU if it's flickering reach around and tap on your ECU, if that has a direct effect on the flickering then it's your ECU. Like I said this probably doesn't apply to you at all but I figured I'd share.

schearer225
01-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Ok today is sunday and it still won't start. now i think i am officially out of idea's. I took the boost controller off, and put the N75 back on, still won't start, double checked the intake system to make sure no hoses came off, that didn't work, i did the spark test with the coilpacks and they all sparked. checked all the fuses again, didn't work. now what do i do? i am all out of options it seems like....... i hope i don't have to take it to a garage[:(] anyone local and want to give a helping hand [hail] any idea's guys on what else to check? i don't think i am getting spark, but i am when i do a spark test. i take the plugs out and they smell like gas, so i am getting fuel, and my battery has about 11.5 cranking power. the only thing that is weird is i am not seeing any pressure in my fuel line with my gauge, cranking or ignition on. but i can hear the pump fire up, and when i disconect the fuel line form the rail and crank it with it off, fuel comes out. i have a brand new fuel filter in and fuel pump, and i tried it with 2 diffrent fule pressure regulators. [confused]

schearer225
01-08-2006, 01:07 PM
UPDATE: Ok i think i might have found the problem, correct me if i am wrong..... I took the fuel feed line off the fuel rail, and there was no fuel that came out[confused] I though that line should be pressureized and haev some fuel leak out. also, when i put the key in the accesorys position no fuel comes out fo the line, and when i crank it no fuel is being pushed threw the lines until AFTER i stop cranking, then the fuel pours out. is this right?? i am also not seeing any fuel pressure in the gauge at any point. hmmm..... maybe that 6 day old fuel pump took a poop?? what do you think

mike-2ptzero
01-08-2006, 01:21 PM
UPDATE: Ok i think i might have found the problem, correct me if i am wrong..... I took the fuel feed line off the fuel rail, and there was no fuel that came out[confused] I though that line should be pressureized and haev some fuel leak out. also, when i put the key in the accesorys position no fuel comes out fo the line, and when i crank it no fuel is being pushed threw the lines until AFTER i stop cranking, then the fuel pours out. is this right?? i am also not seeing any fuel pressure in the gauge at any point. hmmm..... maybe that 6 day old fuel pump took a poop?? what do you think

If the car sits the pressure at the rail will drop to zero, when you turn the key on it should get to about 20psi.

schearer225
01-08-2006, 01:41 PM
ok, then i think i have a fuel problem. because when i have the key in the accesory's the fuel pressure does not go up past zero at anypoint, even when key on or cranking....

4ingDrive
01-08-2006, 02:36 PM
Could be the pump or relay.

schearer225
01-09-2006, 09:38 AM
WHOOT!![:D] I Got It!! I was running out of options and the last thing to check was the fuel pump to see if that waswhy i wasn't getting pressure in the lines. Well sure enough the fuel line that connects to the fuel pump in the tank was half on, and the hose clamp was up really high. i took the hose off, and the little metal ring that is on the plastic fuel feed nipple was off and in the line. i put it back together and used a more heavy duty hose clamp and put it on and it fired right up[drive] I am so glad cuz if it wasn't going to start yesterday, it was going to to shop cuz i was out of options[wrench]

Also i put my boost controller in and that thing kicks ass. i deffinitly liek it better than the N75 valves, it boosts faster, and holds it better. my first setting is 10 PSI and the second setting is about 17-18 PSI. i am still tweaking ti a bit to try and see what combo's i can do to run more bosot on the second setting. does any own know how much boost a Ko3 will be able to produce? i was messing around with it and i was seeing about 19-20PSI but that doing a high gear pull at low RPM's where it will jsut boost, but not go anywhere....[race]

mike-2ptzero
01-09-2006, 10:14 AM
WHOOT!![:D] I Got It!! I was running out of options and the last thing to check was the fuel pump to see if that waswhy i wasn't getting pressure in the lines. Well sure enough the fuel line that connects to the fuel pump in the tank was half on, and the hose clamp was up really high. i took the hose off, and the little metal ring that is on the plastic fuel feed nipple was off and in the line. i put it back together and used a more heavy duty hose clamp and put it on and it fired right up[drive] I am so glad cuz if it wasn't going to start yesterday, it was going to to shop cuz i was out of options[wrench]

Depends on what K03 you have. I was able to run up to 24psi on my dbw K03 and this was on 91 octane. Just remember that the more boost you push with the K03 the sooner it will max out and the sooner your boost will fall. Adding more boost just increases the tq but decreases where the hp peak is in the rpms, this will cause a much shorter power band.

Also i put my boost controller in and that thing kicks ass. i deffinitly liek it better than the N75 valves, it boosts faster, and holds it better. my first setting is 10 PSI and the second setting is about 17-18 PSI. i am still tweaking ti a bit to try and see what combo's i can do to run more bosot on the second setting. does any own know how much boost a Ko3 will be able to produce? i was messing around with it and i was seeing about 19-20PSI but that doing a high gear pull at low RPM's where it will jsut boost, but not go anywhere....[race]