PDA

View Full Version : Quattro, where have you been all my life??

Bobcat Sig
01-06-2006, 09:49 AM
What's happenin' everybody.

I picked up an A4 Avant last week and have officially rejoined the family and I am loving it! I had previously driven a 5000 (non-Quattro) about ten years ago.

I have been lurking on these forums for about a year, but finally got my membership activated.

I'll post pics of the new ride soon. Mind you, they will be quite dirty as I am the thick of winter here in Montana and the new ride has seen almost 1,000 miles from Seattle to Portland to Bozeman and Big Sky twice.

My impressions ...
The 2.8 is rediculously smooth and quite adequately powered. Although nothing like my Saab 9-3. The 5-speed helps move her along. The Quattro is the greatest invention by man as I was coming over a rather treacherous pass on the Idaho-Montana line and sure enough to my left, high up on the snow bank was an accord or camry and immediately in front of that was a Ford Exploder (yes, I meant exploder) or a Grand Cherokee. And with several inches of wet, heavy accumulation, the Quattro utterly amazed me and I was impressed far beyond anything I have read.

I have taken the advice of all of you on here and upgraded to SilverStars and Valeo wiper blades. AZ seems to be an un-ending wealth of knowledge, tips, and tricks. [az]

Next would be some projector headlights and an auto-dimming rear view mirror retrofit. From there; tint, and IceLink and a short shifter. Although not a 1.8T, the possibilities seemt to be endless for modifications. Who knows, maybe suspension and brakes could be in the pipe. And soon as I come across $5k ... super charger, here I come!

Currently I am trouble-shooting a non-spaying rear wiper. I have found the leak to be directly in the chasis below the B-pillar. It is going on the lift today. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Glad to be here!
Cheers,
Ryan [a4]

Raddue
01-06-2006, 09:51 AM
Welcome back to the family. I had a 1989 200 Turbo Quattro and I loved her so much I bought my 99.5 A4.

And yes, Quattro > All.

audisnapr
01-06-2006, 09:53 AM
welcome to not only the AZ club, but the correct A4 club... rep'n the avants!

Monchichi8
01-06-2006, 11:52 AM
Yes, welcome to the family!

Bobcat Sig
01-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by audisnapr
welcome to not only the AZ club, but the correct A4 club... rep'n the avants!

Agreed ... The B5 Avant is just pure beauty. I was even at the local Audi dealer this afternoon and checked out a few of the B6 and B7 Avants and for some reason, they just don't do it for me ...

Pics soon!

onemoremile
01-06-2006, 03:59 PM
welcome. and props to anybody from Bozeman. i love that town.

does the Rockin R bar still have quarter beer night?

Nor_Cal_Driver
01-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Welcome back to the family. I too love Quattro and agree that the AUdi is leaps and bounds better then Saab. (I also own an 01 9-5 wagon)

Bobcat Sig
01-06-2006, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Nor_Cal_Driver
Welcome back to the family. I too love Quattro and agree that the AUdi is leaps and bounds better then Saab. (I also own an 01 9-5 wagon)

Agreed. The Saab was fun and it was a huge step up from my previous vehicle, a 92 Trooper. But hind sight being as it is, the suspension on the 9-3 wasn't nearly what my sport set up is on the Avant. What's more, the torque steer was rediculous on the Saab. But I guess that is what you get with FWD and forced induction.

Anyway ... as promised, here are the pics of the "Shaggin' Wagon"

Before 1k miles and two trips to Big Sky:
http://images15.fotki.com/v259/free/67f17/8/808680/3060991/7-vi.jpg (http://public.fotki.com/TRDonahue/a4_avant/7.html)

And now ...
http://images15.fotki.com/v260/free/67f17/8/808680/3060991/000_0068-vi.jpg (http://public.fotki.com/TRDonahue/a4_avant/000_0068.html)
and
http://images14.fotki.com/v247/free/67f17/8/808680/3060991/000_0070-vi.jpg (http://public.fotki.com/TRDonahue/a4_avant/000_0070.html)

The wish list for mods is already growing. Starting with a projector retro fit and OEM fog retro-fit as well.

Again, glad to be here.

See you out there .... [drive]

IKE20VA4
01-06-2006, 05:13 PM
welcome to the world you will never leave

salz2135
01-06-2006, 05:21 PM
nice of you to joing us from lurk-mode. a nice wagon for sure.

yeah, mod those lights and throw some HIDs in there to help light up the passes when you're driving through the mountains. I had the two-piece bosch lights and now that I swapped them for ecodes and HID I love driving my car 100 times more.

Bobcat Sig
01-06-2006, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by onemoremile
welcome. and props to anybody from Bozeman. i love that town.

does the Rockin R bar still have quarter beer night?

Sadly, no. The R Bar went through a massive renovation a few years ago. Now drinks are much more expensive and quarter beers died with the demolition [:(]

And yes, Bozeman does rock. Although I see quite a few Audi around here, I don't think many are AZ'ers. They seem to be the up and coming, soccer-mom, and older crowd-types (ie, not really the tech and gear heads that we all claim to be). [wrench]

Bobcat Sig
01-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by salz2135
nice of you to joing us from lurk-mode. a nice wagon for sure.

yeah, mod those lights and throw some HIDs in there to help light up the passes when you're driving through the mountains. I had the two-piece bosch lights and now that I swapped them for ecodes and HID I love driving my car 100 times more.

No worries on the lurk mode ... it took the AZ moderators a "while" to get me activated.

Good to see a Portlander on here, I was born and raised in Lake Oswego. I visit there often as I still have family there ... and Matrix Integrated resides there. They rule. Jeremy took almost two hours to BS and line me out on B6 suspension even before I thought about buying one.

DRA4
01-06-2006, 10:30 PM
Welcome, now get to mod.

Bobcat Sig
01-07-2006, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by DRA4
Welcome, now get to mod.

Way ahead of you ... on the look out for some OEM fogs for a retro fit and some projectors or HID's to replace to stockers in there now ...

After that, short shift kit ...

And so it begins! [wrench]

CaSp3r9
01-07-2006, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Bobcat Sig

Good to see a Portlander on here, I was born and raised in Lake Oswego. I visit there often as I still have family there ... and Matrix Integrated resides there. They rule.

Where in Lake Oswego did you live? I live in the westlake area![up]. I love LO. As for Matrix... I couldn't agree with you more. They're awesome and I don't know what I'd do without someone like Jeremy helping me out [:)].

HighDesertAudi
01-07-2006, 11:33 PM
Get some ecodes ASAP i just put mine in yesterday, best mod yet! puts the 2-piecers to shame, i can actualy see at night now.

Bobcat Sig
01-08-2006, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by CaSp3r9
Where in Lake Oswego did you live? I live in the westlake area![up]. I love LO. As for Matrix... I couldn't agree with you more. They're awesome and I don't know what I'd do without someone like Jeremy helping me out [:)].

I grew up off of Child's road, then moved up closer to Lakeridge HS, by Westridge elementary ...

I just wish Matrix was a bit closer to me. I think any trip out west now will include a visit to those guys.

Bobcat Sig
01-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by HighDesertAudi
Get some ecodes ASAP i just put mine in yesterday, best mod yet! puts the 2-piecers to shame, i can actualy see at night now.

PM sent ...