PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting the Koni shocks.

LAS
01-06-2006, 12:23 AM
I got a set of Stasis Street Sports/Koni coilovers and seeking advise on how to adjust the rebound. Already read this, but still slightly lost.

http://koni-na.com/adjustment.cfm

2. Hold the damper body by hand where the piston rod emerges form the cylinder. Push the button carefully, by hand, and hold it in that position (figure 1 & 2). (Do not use any device, other than by hand to depress button).

6. Be sure the adjusting button fully springs back into position. As long as the button is depressed, do not turn the piston rod further; otherwise correct adjustment will be disturbed. As soon as the button has made it's complete return, the piston rod bay be turned freely. The damper can now be refitted.

What adjusment button are they talking about? I don't hear any clicks(stops) except at the highest and lowest setting.

Basicly what I am doing is; compressing the shock all the way down then turning the shaft. I do feel feel both end of adjustment(softest and firmest) but nothing in between, no stop/clicks. From the softest setting I can turn a total of 1 3/4 till it stops at the firmest setting. Am I doing something wrong or missing something. BTW, this is happening for the front and rears.

mine don' t have a button like in the pic below, it has 2 hole on each side about 1/8" deep, nothing to depress.

http://koni-na.com/pics/30fig4.gif

[headbang]

imola_Jon
01-06-2006, 06:03 AM
I had the same confusion when I got my KONIs too.

It seems you are compressing the shocks properly for adjustment, since you are only able to turn about 1.75 revolutions (that's the same amount I was able to as well). You won't feel any 'clicks'; you have to take a percentage of dampening you want & go from there. Then set the shock to full soft (counterclock as far as it will go). I used a sharpie to make points of reference on the shock body for full soft, full stiff, & where the shaft was sitting at full soft when i began. This helps compare both shocks when you are finished, & shows if they have been adjusted the same.

For example:
If you wanted to set them at 65% stiff.

65% (desired stiffness) of 1.75 (# of rotations) = 1.1375 (amount of rotations you need to make for desired stiffness [counterclockwise to clockwise]). It won't be perfect, just get it as close as you can & refer to the sharpie markings I mentioned above, to get make sure both shocks are equal.

I hope that made sense...

LAS
01-06-2006, 09:05 PM
Perfect! That's what I was thinking, but I didn't want to assume it.

BTW, do you recall what you have yours set to , front and rear? This is just for normal daily driving, I was thinking 50% f/r.

Thanks Jon![up]

imola_Jon
01-07-2006, 08:45 AM
I'm running my KONIs w/ Vogtland springs. The recommended settings range from 40%-60% up front and 50%-75% in the rear. I went with the max of 60/75 F/R. It's noticebly stiffer when you push it, but still almost as comfortable as stock. This is my daily driver too.

I'm not familiar w/ the spring rates on your Street Sports compared to my Vogtlands. So the best ranges for the dampening might be a little different. But it's a good general rule to have your rears a bit stiffer to cut down on your nose jumping up off the line.

Jeremy@Matrix is a STaSIS pro. He should be able to give you more exact numbers, but I would think they'd be similiar to what I put out there.

LAS
01-07-2006, 08:21 PM
you the MAN!