PDA

View Full Version : So you picked up junk rims? Refinishing rims

Poopie
01-05-2006, 08:12 PM
Anyone have a server I can upload pics? Mine is down...apparently I didnt pay my bill. Anyways....

Intro...So a while back I picked up some rims pretty cheap off a local guy for $280 with tires. They are the OZ racing F1-plus rims. I rocked them for the fall but they were all banged up and curbed like hell. They are all fairly straight too. The curbage ran almost the entire length of the wheel. They looked good from afar and all but even my girlfriend noticed the shitty condition. So a few weeks ago I began to refinish them after some reading. I'm far from done though. Its a lot easier said then done. I wanted them to look the best that I could possibly do. I do not have any auto paiting experience except for some patch work so most of it is all new to me. I'm pretty good with my hands as long as i have some instruction.

I'm posting this because I feel pretty motivated now and I wanted to share. I have one rim almost primed up and all my hard work is starting to show. And I have one rim almost all patched up and waiting for maybe another round of spot putty and a final degreasing before i mask it up and prime it.

Process I am using:
1) Wash wheel with Dawn to degrees
2) Get Dremel to smooth over the heavy curb damage
3) Use some 250 grit sand paper to sand down the wheel.
4) Fill curbage with some bondo spot putty and let it cure and dry completly
5) Sand down some more
6) Refill with spot putty
7) Sand again...you get the point. It sounds easy but its very tedious
8) Mask off unpainted areas....this step also sucks.
9) Do a light coat of primer and let it dry. I used filler primer to fill in the tiny gaps I missed.
10) Do a slighty heavier coat of primer
11) If you see any rough spots, runs, gaps, resand the area and fill it in again.
12) Reprime the area.

This is as far as I have gotten. I just want to get everything primed so I can lay some base coats when its warm or when I have a place to let the paint cure. I'm planning on painting them glossy black. I'll keep everyone updated.

98Black30V
01-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Sounds good..... yeah painting is tough if it's a part that will be drawing a descent amount of attention. My brother and I have had to repair multiple motorcycle gas tanks after wrecks, and the whole process of filling and sanding and refilling can take a lifetime. Your hard work will pay off in the end tho. Just make sure not to get lazy with the painting after all the prep work. We made that mistake once..... and only once

Crisqo
01-05-2006, 08:50 PM
I'd suggest some metal filler...instead of bondo....

Starting
01-05-2006, 08:51 PM
Spot putty isn't something I would use to fill more then small pin head holes. I'm not sure how well that is going to hold up.

Poopie
01-05-2006, 08:51 PM
damnit, whats that

Saturnine
01-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Oh man, i always wanted those F1 Cups..

Post pics!!

badassbaldie
01-05-2006, 09:48 PM
I give you alot of credit for doing all that work. Me personally, I would pay the $200 and have them powdercoated. [up]to you!!

Poopie
01-05-2006, 09:59 PM
they aren' the f1-cups. they are the f-1 plus. Very similar though. Well I use spot putty before on my stock rims and its holding up just fine. I should have just paid someone to do my rims but oh well. Its a learning experience.

b5v6
01-06-2006, 02:49 AM
sounds like you're doing a good job. This stuff is very time consuming to say the least. I'm hoping to paint the lip of my rims to match my sedan. That masking job is going to be a PITA.

onemoremile
01-06-2006, 08:44 AM
i'm interested in seeing how that body filler holds up the abuse that wheels see.

i've got a set of ROH wheels that are badly curbed. a good amount of time was spent cutting down the rash with a DA Sander and various grits. then i blended in the refinished areas by hand without filling anything.

even though the rash was very deep you would have to really look closely to see that any work was done. powdercoating them a dark color will hide the problem completely.

it sounds like you're putting a good amount of work into them. i wish you the best of luck.

Gundem
01-06-2006, 09:57 AM
just upload on AZ gallery