PDA

View Full Version : My Borla exhaust is starting to p*** me off!

TJHUB
01-04-2006, 05:46 PM
I probably suck at this, but I just cannot seem to get this thing adjusted right. It took me about 8-10 times under the car to get the tips where I wanted them. The bars for the hangers all seemed to be f'd up. There is too much side-to-side motion and the exhaust grows just over 9/16" from cold to hot. I've had it on the car for a couple of months and now all of the sudden the thing is knocking on the bottom of the car occasionally. The strange part is that when I get under the car hot or cold, I just can't see where the exhaust could possibly touch anything. I can't push it hard enough in any direction to make contact with anything. What gives? Is it possible that something like the motor mounts is allowing the drive train to shift enough to make the exhaust contact something? It seems to happen mostly when the car is just warming up and lightly decelerating.

I can make some adjustments to the exhaust, but only if I bend the bars for the hangers. Will they possibly break if I try to bend them about a 1/4"? Did anyone with a Borla have to go through the same process? If so, how did you do it? Should I quit be a sucky and just do it?

badassbaldie
01-04-2006, 05:59 PM
I have the same problem with my neuspeed exhaust rubbing on my rear lower valence. The rattling drives me crazy.

Gundem
01-04-2006, 06:07 PM
this used to happen to my '93 buick regal. still makes noise. and i don't know about the bending part...it seems risky,

k0mpresd
01-04-2006, 06:09 PM
just stop worrying about it and take it off..and sell it to me for $5 [:D]

drlandry00
01-04-2006, 06:26 PM
^^ good sales ploy. haha

rattling might be a shield or the cat. and you are saying that the exhaust grows and shrinks 1/2 inch!!!! dont know about that.

i assume you checked all the connections and bolts for the whole exhaust?

oh, could also be because you are a tip!

bitterchild
01-04-2006, 06:29 PM
heat the hangers w/ a propane torch and you can bend them easily. I would let a professional diagnose the issue. Remember that you are a tip and that means your transmission is loaded all the time. Also keep in mind the engine pitches during normal operation, especially during engine braking

TJHUB
01-04-2006, 06:40 PM
bitterchild: I'm going to be installing my VB soon so the car will be on a lift next week. I'll try using heat. I was afraid due the the material being stainless. I'm sure if I can bend the hangers some the exhaust will hang lower when hot. It's just so damn strange that I can't see where it could be touching. It sounds like it's hitting on the front passenger's footwell. That's where the exhaust is farthest away. Also it doesn't hit under hard acceleration or deceleration, it's happens just before I come to a stop or light start and it's not all of the time either.

drlandry00: Yes, it grows 9/16" from cold to hot. I'll take a pic of the tip location when hot and I'll take a pic about 30 minutes later. It's unbelievable how much it changes.

EVIL-AUDI
01-04-2006, 06:47 PM
I had that same banging with my Borla before I took most of it out.

BranCKY3
01-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Are hangars hard to bend once you heat them up? I got rear ended and my exhaust got messed up too.. I'm hoping it's just the hangars that got bent.

TJHUB
01-04-2006, 06:53 PM
Man, I thought I was the only one with this issue. Nobody ever seems to complain.

Evil: Would you elaborate on your statement?

BLACK B5
01-04-2006, 08:24 PM
hey tjhub

i had the same issue with mine after is was installed. after a few days of searching front to back i found the downpipe bumping a pinch weld along the firewall.

check there.... it doesnt look like it would touch but that motor really moves around in there [drive]

p.s. i have been waiting patiently for the results of the valvebody upgrade[a4]

TJHUB
01-04-2006, 08:30 PM
I'll check that out this weekend.

Well I called Sam today and the VB shipped. It's scheduled for delivery on Monday the 9th. I'm going to call the guy that's going to help me do the install and see if I can get him to do it Monday or Tuesday night. I hope all goes well and I can brag to everyone.

BranCKY3
01-04-2006, 09:18 PM
How's this for not being adjusted right? [headbang] [headbang]
Excuse the extreeeemely dirty car.

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/8904/picture8pw.jpg

TJHUB
01-04-2006, 09:23 PM
Yeah...that's not so good. Mine is perfect except for the rub.

BranCKY3
01-04-2006, 09:27 PM
Well it was good until some jackass hit me. And the tips were shiny [:)]

Dave01.5Afour
01-05-2006, 04:59 AM
TJHUB,
How many miles on your car? Since this happens only right before you stop, I would check the motor mounts. If you have a lot of miles, it may be time to replace the motor mounts. Worn motor mounts will let the engine slide around too much and hit all kinds of things. This is because right before the car stops the engine still wants to move forward due to interia.

TJHUB
01-05-2006, 07:06 AM
I was thinking that might be a contributing issue. The exhaust is at a minimum 3/4" or more away from everything when I check. The car has 85,000 miles. Maybe I should just change the motor mounts regardless.

drlandry00
01-05-2006, 07:30 AM
wouldnt hurt, motor mounts feel great when replaced.

keep us updated, i know there are alot of guys that have the Borla.