PDA

View Full Version : Are IS300s fast?

Quattrocket
01-04-2006, 03:56 PM
cuz i just destroyed one on my way home from work. I know their quick but this wasnt even close.

SeanF
01-04-2006, 04:00 PM
its the N/A supra 3.0 motor, so im guessing about 220ish hp....

Yuikio
01-04-2006, 04:22 PM
That's about right, I think they have 215 and RWD, probably weigh about as much as your car.

CaSp3r9
01-04-2006, 04:24 PM
They're not THAT fast... It's a luxury car. The older body style (2000-2005) has a 215hp 3.0L I6 engine, that weighs 3,255 lbs. and goes from 0-60 in 6.4 seconds according to Lexus. But I've seen alot of 7.0-7.6 numbers from stock IS300's. The 2006 IS350's are actually pretty decent. They have a 306hp 3.5L V6 engine and go from 0-60 in 5.3 seconds and it weighs in at 3,527 lbs!
They're nice cars, but nothing comparable to a turbocharged 5-speed A4 with Quattro[:D] [a4]

juju4uofa
01-04-2006, 04:25 PM
I thought the old SC300 motor was the N/A Supra motor. Are you sure the IS300 is too?

Devious27t
01-04-2006, 04:43 PM
i put about 5-6 cars on my buddies 5 spd one when i had a chip, and that was only about midway through 3rd gear from a dead stop. i beat him horribly bad and i only had a chip, no exhaust nothing else. he called me up 2 weeks later telling me he had just bought an A4 and wanted a chip.

AElucky83
01-04-2006, 05:24 PM
i want a IS with a supra turbo motor :)

.:AJ:.
01-04-2006, 05:30 PM
they might not be as fast as our cars, but they are smoooth.
i'd get one if i could afford it

MR VTEC
01-04-2006, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by juju4uofa
I thought the old SC300 motor was the N/A Supra motor. Are you sure the IS300 is too?
all three share the same motor

b00st
01-04-2006, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by juju4uofa

the old SC300 actually had the 2JZ-GTE..which, for those that don't know is the turbo motor.

is300s run the 2JZ-GE
which is a 3.0L block from the supra only it cranks out 215 at the crank and 218 crank lb-ft of tq. runs different intake, cams, etc...
supra motor did 220chp.

the T in GTE is for Turbo.

stock is300 dyno's around 187rwhp.

and the answer is no they are slow...they have bad 60 foot times and quarter mile isn't anything to write home about.

i only know cuz my brother-in-law has an IS300 Turbo'd...i've helped do some work on it. and now its 350chp. here is his dyno when he was NA and with Turbo. His NA mods were SAFC tuned, Injen Intake & Exhaust. It was slow then.

Here is his ride:
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/615506

Here is his dyno chart:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/615000-615999/615506_40_full.jpg

MR VTEC
01-04-2006, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by b00st
the old SC300 actually had the 2JZ-GTE..which, for those that don't know is the turbo motor.

Wrong!!!

Quattrocket
01-04-2006, 06:28 PM
this was from a rolling start too. he actually got a head start. I was driving along going a little bit faster than him, and when I pulled up along side of him he just took off. So im like allrighty! he had about 5 car lengths and I took off. passed him like he was standing still.

b00st
01-04-2006, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by AElucky83
i want a IS with a supra turbo motor :)

thats a common upgrade...once they go turbo and they want to up the boost past 6psi...they normally GTE internals as upgrade after the lower compression head gasket...which can bring them to 12psi or so without risking internals...after that...they need GTE.

and yes SC300 did also come with just the 2JZ-GE motor. but who wants that?

MR VTEC
01-04-2006, 06:31 PM
i guesss you were talking about the soarer which is the turbo charged sc 300 over the other side of the pond?

b00st
01-04-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by MR VTEC
Wrong!!!

sorry meant soarer 1JZ-GTE which was a 2.5TT
sc300 stateside.

b00st
01-04-2006, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by MR VTEC
i guesss you were talking about the soarer which is the turbo charged sc 300 over the other side of the pond?

yes sorry you posted faster than i could edit.

MR VTEC
01-04-2006, 06:51 PM
It's all good. I was going to get a sc and turbo it but i couldn't find one at a decent price. And finding a stick sc300 was hard as finding a needle in a hay stack in the dark using your tongue... the soarer engines are easily sourced but finding some one experienced enought to complete the swap and have it run properly was another problem...

Your boys ride is nice, real noice!!!

onemoremile
01-04-2006, 06:53 PM
the new IS350 isn't nearly as quick as it should be. my autox and rally buddy (codriver) did a lexus event that had the new IS350 and bmw 330s. the bmws were so much better that they stopped letting people drive both cars. they ended up having the "pro" drivers take people for laps in both cars. chris said the bmws were night and day better.

oh well. maybe next time they'll use a lesser car for comparison or set the bimmers up with a bit of positive camber in the front and toe-in in the rear.

he said after the event he really wanted a 330. he couldn't stop laughing about it.

Yuikio
01-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Toyota/Lexus refuses to make an exciting car. 305hp, 0-60 in 5.3 seconds with a 6-speed auto, and no one wants to drive one? Aw, damn, guys, it must need more power! OK, IS450 with 440 hp from an N/A V8....the problem is that they have more electronics than Tron.

Lexuses are just yachts with wheels.

bitterchild
01-04-2006, 08:43 PM
yacht's that never break down, ride smooth as butter and retain excellent resale as a result

4ingDrive
01-04-2006, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by bitterchild
yacht's that never break down, ride smooth as butter and retain excellent resale as a result

TheQuattro
01-04-2006, 09:52 PM
Hold Up...u guys with chips r beating is300's...Im chipped APR and exhaust...i raced my bros Is 300 he only has intake..man i guess sumthing is up with my car...i was boost 15 and spiking 17..but i raced him from rolls..but on the 40 i almost had em...i usally lose about 1 car and i let off my gas..but from a dig i no i would own his ass..Weird.

boosteda4
01-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by TheQuattro
Hold Up...u guys with chips r beating is300's...Im chipped APR and exhaust...i raced my bros Is 300 he only has intake..man i guess sumthing is up with my car...i was boost 15 and spiking 17..but i raced him from rolls..but on the 40 i almost had em...i usally lose about 1 car and i let off my gas..but from a dig i no i would own his ass..Weird.

not talking shit, but it could be ur driving. Ive raced an is300 and had no problem... i got a couple little mods, like chip, exhaust, and im on 18's

RAyala2.7T
01-04-2006, 10:08 PM
i agree the is300's aren't so fast. i've had my fair share of them and hadn't lost to one, on the track and on the street. the fastest I've ever seen an auto is300 run at the 1.4 was 15.1 but that was at houston raceway park. sea level elevation and great conditions not to mention its one of the fastest tracks in the NHRA. very very sticky

ExpLlclT
01-04-2006, 11:44 PM
i drive one all the time my dad has one never really pushed it but i no they handle well for stock and are faster than our cars stock well at least my 98 2.8Q but he has he stupid auto one for commuting so im guessing stick would be faster rockets on freeway tho

ckandes1
01-05-2006, 09:12 AM
the is350 drives smoothly and all but the overall driving experience is not particularly amazing. when you get in one and slam the gas your arent exactly amazed out how fun it was. You're amazed how much it didnt feel like you were slamming the gas. but what fun is that? even in a luxury car, when its supposed to be luxury sport you'd like to feel the sport. and i hear the handling isnt all that amazing either.

as for the IS300, it's slow esp. for a 215hp car. The 1.8t engine car will take it every time no problem.

b00st
01-05-2006, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by onemoremile
the new IS350 isn't nearly as quick as it should be. my autox and rally buddy (codriver) did a lexus event that had the new IS350 and bmw 330s. the bmws were so much better that they stopped letting people drive both cars. they ended up having the "pro" drivers take people for laps in both cars. chris said the bmws were night and day better.

oh well. maybe next time they'll use a lesser car for comparison or set the bimmers up with a bit of positive camber in the front and toe-in in the rear.

he said after the event he really wanted a 330. he couldn't stop laughing about it.

hold up here...i let this thread get away from me.

first off I went to the Taste of Lexus to do that very drive and it was very much the opposite. the BMW was not close to the IS350 in acceleration...having driven both on the rode coarse at least 4 or 5 times each. My job there was to beat the shit out of the car. The interior styling in the 330 was much less than the IS350. handling wise they were close. power wise the BMW wasn't close. I never bother to drive the IS250. just did the 350 and 330 for comparo. now...some peeps have taken there new IS350 and clocked a 13.6 bone stock at the track. I've seen 13.7 and 13.8s from magazines...overall the BMW may have been a better balance. and by that i mean power was decent, handling felt appropriate....more feedback than the lexus.

the lexus felt like what you were paying for. the paddle shift was also a nice option to use or you could use the e-shift like we see in audi etc.

they have just created some exhaust and intake. intake on the car gave 11rwhp. and exhaust gave 22rwhp. they were never on at the same time. but i can imagine that will further boost them into some solid or lower 13s.

i just finished reading motor trend and they had that comparo in there. IS350 vs. BMW330 vs. i forgot. they picked the BMW but it was only due to slight factors. they felt the BMW peformance was adequate...lexus was expensive and finally the BMW felt more responsive. so bang for buck took it with the BMW. but the lexus was right on top of the BMW...and from what I saw...I would take the IS350 anyday over the 330. especially the interior.

b00st
01-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by TheQuattro

i used to pound on the IS300 especially with my giac k03 chip, exhaust and intake. it wasn't even close. other guy ran intake and exhaust.

now with my k04 w/pc16 file...i'm keeping up or owning from a dig with IS300 turbos. they crank out 330-350chp/350ctq. from a roll i have a harder time...but it depends on the speed we run at. from a dig...quattro owns their rwd.

onemoremile
01-05-2006, 02:52 PM
chris has been president of the oldest private sports car club in the country for a few years. lots of rallies, track days, and autocrosses. he's set FTD in his focus s2 with nothing but RA-1s, konis, and a set of springs. nothing personal, but i take his word for it.

he had the race tires in the back of his focus at the event. he begged the promoters to let him run it for a comparison for focaljet but they wouldn't let him. he is positive he would have dominited with his anemic momentum racer.

he lives in chicago and was probably at the same event as you. it is obvious that you two came away with very different opinions on the cars. that's not all that uncommon.

b00st
01-05-2006, 03:11 PM
understandable....i'm cool with that. i think the interior of BMW doesn't hold a candle to the IS350. very lacking on the BMW part. like i said overall BMW had more road feedback. i'm not big on their styling or interior. so that was my influence.

the lexus didn't have that road feedback....under acceleration or turning. but it was still the nicer car. and has more features than you really want but if i'm paying i want it all. and it has power that is for sure...even though it doesn't feel like it. like i said bone stock kids were running a 13.6 in the 1/4 mile. not bad for a luxury boat on 300 hp.

TheQuattro
01-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Yea u guys r right..i should be able to beat my bros is300 butcome to think of it he always jumped tha gun....maybe i'll suprise him an get a s4 black and tell i got rims..haha!

onemoremile
01-06-2006, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by b00st
understandable....i'm cool with that. i think the interior of BMW doesn't hold a candle to the IS350. very lacking on the BMW part. like i said overall BMW had more road feedback. i'm not big on their styling or interior. so that was my influence.

the lexus didn't have that road feedback....under acceleration or turning. but it was still the nicer car. and has more features than you really want but if i'm paying i want it all. and it has power that is for sure...even though it doesn't feel like it. like i said bone stock kids were running a 13.6 in the 1/4 mile. not bad for a luxury boat on 300 hp.

the is350 really caught my attention when it started showing up in magazine features and tv ads. i was really disappointed with what chris said about it. i'm glad that you like it better.
if i had the two to choose from i would also get the lexus. for the reasons you just listed and for the long term cost of ownership vs. the bmw.

did you know bob marley drove bmws? he said it was justified as BMW stood for Bob Marley and the Wailers.

b00st
01-06-2006, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by onemoremile
the is350 really caught my attention when it started showing up in magazine features and tv ads. i was really disappointed with what chris said about it. i'm glad that you like it better.
if i had the two to choose from i would also get the lexus. for the reasons you just listed and for the long term cost of ownership vs. the bmw.

did you know bob marley drove bmws? he said it was justified as BMW stood for Bob Marley and the Wailers.

yeah as far as creature comforts...the lexus buried you in them. too many? maybe. does it raise the cost? absolutely. do i care? not if i'm paying. I want it all. is the road feedback there? no. its a lexus. yes its supposed to be sporty...but its still a lexus. long term...lexus had fewest repairs out of any car company maker...then it was BUICK. not that i wouldn't buy an E46 M3 in a heartbeat. but in chicago...its not practical with these winters. i would need a winter car. which i did have but the motor blew. :( but i sold it for a pretty penny anyway to someone who worked at nissan and got the motor for cost.

nope i didn't know that about Bob Marley.

narbehx
01-06-2006, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Quattrocket
cuz i just destroyed one on my way home from work. I know their quick but this wasnt even close.

No

Raddue
01-06-2006, 10:20 AM
I rocked one pretty hard on my way home from work on Wednesday. He rolled up on me at a stoplight, the light going the other way turned red and he started to roll forward then stopped again, realizing the light was still red. The light turned green and he kept with me for a while, then I pulled ahead.

He was obviously an automatic, as am I. I lost him in the curves. It was also raining, so the Quattro rocked his socks.

qtek16
01-06-2006, 01:53 PM
my buddy had an is yeaah slow stock but nice ridding car and it sounded greaat with exhuast....the new 350 arent shit either, now the 450 they are comming out with will be a different storry ;) they look good though regardless!!