PDA

View Full Version : Surging or boost fluctuating issue, gimme suggestions please.

Quattrocket
01-03-2006, 03:30 PM
ok, so I finally got the car running pretty well. Ive noticed that at around 5000 RPM mainly in 4th and 5th gear the car will kinda surge, and I can hear it too.
So my thought is that it could be the DV. I have a forge with the stock green spring settingdo i need to upgrade this puppy?
other thoughts are MAF, N75,boost leak. my boost guage isnt working properly so im not sure whats going on there. Also, tonight im gonna do the tennis ball method to check for boost leaks to try and knock that one out. TIA

Burntaudi
01-03-2006, 03:33 PM
Are you running the stock N75? I had surging when running a N75H and K04/PC16.

Quattrocket
01-03-2006, 03:43 PM
yeah stock n75

Burntaudi
01-03-2006, 03:45 PM
I would get your boost gauge working corectly before anything else.

Nor_Cal_Driver
01-03-2006, 06:28 PM
I have the same problem on my 01.

Quattrocket
01-03-2006, 06:34 PM
strange. Ive actually read alot about this issue and nobody seems to have any real answers. shitty buzz

RudeBwoi
01-03-2006, 07:28 PM
ive been surging for a year. changed all sorts of things and still gettin a cel.
New MAF
New "thrust valve" i forgot the name of it.
New sparks (NGK's)
New 710N
Reset ECU

Been running lean and still getting an air/fuel gauge malfunction cel....and searching just doesnt help bc nobody posts an answer. The surging saga continues...

onemoremile
01-03-2006, 08:16 PM
i haven't been over 7 psi since the week after labor day.

my thread asking for help contained all the usuals but didn't fix the problem.

i did the following:
replaced MAF
replaced ICU/POS
replaced coilpacks
replaced spark plugs twice
replaced N75-J and stock
replaced vac lines to DV and FPR
replaced Forge 007 DV with 710N
reset ecu a few times. luckily my radio code is almost the same as my address. 1709 vs. 1079. easy to remember.

the tennis ball method gurgled the oil at 4-5 psi as indicated on the boost guage in the car.
i plugged the SMIC to TB hose and pressure tested to 15 psi with no leaks.

my next step is to pull off the intake manifold and start digging deeper. maybe i can plug the intake runners and try another pressure test. maybe swap the hfc on and do a new front O2 sensor.

FWIW, the car is perfectly smooth under 7 psi and i still get over 300 miles to the tank in mixed driving. i'm just stuck at stock power levels. going back and forth from the stage 3- s4 to my car is like getting kicked in the nuts. it can't breath and isn't going anywhere fast. at least it isn't warm enough to drive the cobra. that just wouldn't be fair.

here is my original thread. it may contain something that will help you solve your issue.
http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66301&highlight=stuttering

if it helps you out, i do have an extra maf, icu, N75, and 710N. a set of stock AEB coil packs too. good deals on all the extra parts.

onemoremile
01-03-2006, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Quattrocket
strange. Ive actually read alot about this issue and nobody seems to have any real answers. shitty buzz

are you talking about boost gauge buzz?
if so, there is a fitting that you can get at an auto parts store. i believe that it just has a smaller orifice but don't quote me on that.

4ingDrive
01-03-2006, 08:35 PM
The fitting acts as a restrictor. You can also get one of those straws you attach to an aeresol can that'll fit tight inside. Cut off a piece and insert it into the end of the tubing. I had one of those buzz reducing t's. It disintegrated in a year.

Quattrocket
01-04-2006, 03:50 PM
LOL, no shitty buzz just means it sucks. It's like a really bad high. guess its just a local term.