PDA

View Full Version : Guys, I need help fast!!!!

juju4uofa
01-03-2006, 03:26 PM
I was leaving work today and my car wouldn't start. It turned over fine and I checked the battery with a volt meter while someone else tried to crank the car and the battery was fine. When the key is in the on position the dash flickers and makes a clicking noise sometimes (this may have nothing to do with the problem but this is the same thing that happened when my last battery died). It finally cranked and my friend followed me home. As I was leaving work it missed twice, really bad. It was as if all fuel was shut off instantly and then given back instantly. I kept going in hopes I would make it home. On the on ramp I had it flored all the way through 3rd and it did fine, but about 30 seconds later the car just died as I was doing 80 down the intersate. Now it's stuck on the side of I20/59 and I guess I'll be calling a tow truck. I would assume it's fuel delivery but I could be wrong. Maybe either my fuel pump or filter. My fuel guage has been acting up but I think that's just the Fuel Level Sending Unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

juju4uofa
01-03-2006, 03:29 PM
I've been running on the same tank of gas for about 130 miles so I don't think it's that. I guess it could also be spark too, but the way it just quit makes me think fuel.

bitterchild
01-03-2006, 03:31 PM
sounds like ecu

juju4uofa
01-03-2006, 03:32 PM
Please don't tell me that. I can't afford that.

bitterchild
01-03-2006, 03:41 PM
i sell stockers pretty cheap. best bet is electrical connection, ground most likely or ecu. Either swap a known good ecu or get the car towed. I can overnight if you want to just try it.

b00st
01-03-2006, 03:51 PM
sorta sounds like my ECU problem, when mine went bad. does it crank though? or is it completely dead and doesn't even try to turn over? if it doesn't try to turn over...i'm thinking ECU. My tuner that put mine in last replaced mine free. dunno if they will do that for you. if it cranks over now...then its some sort of fuel delivery. when my ECU was going through its issues...it wouldn't even crank...like when your battery is completely dead...except you see you have full volts...my brakes firmed up to the max when it died, no power steering...etc.

nizmosx
01-03-2006, 04:17 PM
For what its worth, next time your car is acting up, dont floor it. especially through a whole gear, Drive as slow as possible to the nearest mechanic, your house or safe place to park. A little problem can turn into a huge problem with these audis. My impressions are that its your ecu. I would have your car towed to your house. Borrow or order an ecu from bitter. If you car works with the new ecu, drive the car with the stock ecu and ship yours back to apr to have them send u a new one or fix your file. I would then try to ask apr for something out of it. Like free shipping or someting for your problems. While all that is going on if you are over 60 thousand miles on your car go ahead and change your fuel filter. Mine is 20k overdue. i need to change it soon.

bitterchild
01-03-2006, 04:18 PM
apr physically chipped ecu's have been known to just randomly fail. That's about as much as I will go in to that. Basically it's a possibilty to consider.

goldenchild
01-03-2006, 04:58 PM
so have giac had it happen to me. took it to the dealer they swapped in a new ecu and it started.

juju4uofa
01-03-2006, 05:38 PM
I just had my car towed and $160 later it's at home. I'm sure some of y'all know this but having your Audi towed by Bubba and his 40 year old flat bed is a frightening experience to say the least.

It hasn't cranked since I left it on the interstate, but it still turns over fine. It seems like it's just not firing.

My car has 42k miles on it and has been chipped since 27k. I'll call APR tomorrow to see what they say. If it's not my ECU (which I pray it's not) I'm thinking fuel pump, filter, or pressure regulator. Like I said earlier it felt like the lack of fuel. I was thinking it could also be a vacuum leak at my throttle body/intake manifold (maybe???). All I know is it sucks being without a vehicle hear at college when home is 200 miles away. Thank God classes don't start until next Wednesday and I've got enough friends to haul me around.

As for the full throttle I gave it, I'm sure it wasn't a good idea. I'm used to carburated motors that could sometimes use a good Italian tuneup. Plus I was just pissed off.

boosteda4
01-03-2006, 05:40 PM
that sorta sounds like what happened when my timing belt failed.. =\

juju4uofa
01-03-2006, 05:44 PM
That thought has popped in my head. It only has 42k miles but it is 7 years old. If the timing was screwed up it would turn over fine without cranking. For the little while it ran though it ran like normal (well excepts for the first two times it missed). I guess I sould've got a Honda. HAHA, I'd rather look at my Audi than drive a Honda!!!

4ingDrive
01-03-2006, 08:01 PM
From your post about the dash flickering and the clicking noise it definately sounds electrical. Either the ecu or a power connection. I fixed an issue similar to yours. It turned out to be one of the power connection terminals under the drivers dash was loose.

juju4uofa
01-03-2006, 09:00 PM
Well, I'm gonna start looking at it after work tomorrow. Maybe APR will be able to give me some more insight probably not though. I haven't tried it yet but I guess I should try resetting my ECU and see if it makes a difference. I sure hope this doesn't turn out pricey, I'm broke!!!

badassbaldie
01-03-2006, 10:52 PM
JuJu, this same exact thing happened to me two weeks ago. I went through the whole fuel pump/relay/filter issue also. I replaced the relay, still did it. checked the pump, working fine. Filter was good too.

What worked for me was I disconnected and then reconnected the ECU and the car ran OK. It died again a day later so I disconnected & reconnected the ECU and it's been running fine ever since.

Check the ground connection underneath your relay, make sure it is tight. Also, disconnect/reconnect your ECU and see if it starts. Let me know how it turns out.

I feel your pain brother [=(]

juju4uofa
01-04-2006, 05:58 AM
That sure gives me hope Badassbaldie. I'm at work right now but I'll try that when I get home. First I'm going to try and crank it and listen to my fuel pump. If it doesn't crank and I hear nothing wrong then I'll reset my ECU. BTW, where is the relay located. Thanks!!!

badassbaldie
01-04-2006, 08:29 AM
Relay is behind the lower knee panel underneath the steering wheel. The fuel pump relay is marked "374". There is a green cable just underneath it, mounted by a bolt. Make sure it is tight.

Just for reference, I could hear my relay "clicking" when it died the second time. We checked the power to the relay and it was flickering. Our problem is either 1) bad grounding/wiring condition, 2) bad wiring harness or 3) BAD ECU.

Best way to check your fuel pump is to put a guage onto the fuel rail. I didn't have pressure so I bypassed the relay and put a direct power source onto the pump. It worked so I knew it wasn't the pump. This test will save you alot of unnecessary work, trust me. I would disconnect/reconnect the ECU first and see if it starts.

juju4uofa
01-04-2006, 09:13 AM
Thanks again for your help. I'm very anxious to get home and see if this works. If reseting the ECU works, why is this so? What would happen to your ECU that would cause it to run fine on the way to work in the morning and then not allow your car to crank when you tried to leave that afternoon?

badassbaldie
01-04-2006, 09:48 AM
I guess the ECU/chip can just go bad over time from what I've been told. Could be anything, bad solder, dirt, etc. Believe me, I beat myself up with the same question.

I guess it's the price we pay for tuning. Good luck and I'm glad I could help.