PDA

View Full Version : California smog questions-i'm gonna be due

creechsa4
01-03-2006, 11:59 AM
I'm going to be due registration in a few months. What kind of smog will the California require for the Quattros? Will they just do an idle test or will there be some type of referee needed 'cause the regular smog dyno are designed for 2 wheel only.
Also will I pass, i'm running giac k03 programming with a k04?
thanks for any feedback on this.

audisnapr
01-03-2006, 12:04 PM
not sure about the dyno issues, but the GIAC programming was designed to pass all emissions. As long as you haven't done any major tweaking to your exhaust, ie: cat delete, etc, you should be fine

bitterchild
01-03-2006, 12:09 PM
you would pass easily if you were using the right turbo. You should be ok as is but there are a few variables. I really don't know why everyone insists on mickey mousing their fueling

creechsa4
01-04-2006, 12:25 PM
cool thanks for the replies. any other cali guys have experience with this. will they send me to a california state referee for idle test or will they allow the idle test at a regular smog/test only center. Thanks

nizmosx
01-04-2006, 01:09 PM
you dont have to go to a referee unless you have had prior tampering or prior failing with the car. THe test will be a idle test as the smog shops do not have four wheel smog dynos. I was able to pass with my neuspeed exhaust, stock airbox, ams chip ko3 turbo. my setup is way different now. but i was able to pass with the above mods. i would have failed inspection with an intake is what he told me. so i went home took it out and put the stock one back in.

Devious27t
01-04-2006, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by creechsa4
I'm going to be due registration in a few months. What kind of smog will the California require for the Quattros? Will they just do an idle test or will there be some type of referee needed 'cause the regular smog dyno are designed for 2 wheel only.
Also will I pass, i'm running giac k03 programming with a k04?
thanks for any feedback on this.

i passed with HFC, full exhaust, a chip and an fmic, i think as long as you dont have the 5 bar in already you should be fine. i wouldnt bone out on the car yet though or you will burn up your turbo. k04s dont seem to like high egts from what i have seen.

creechsa4
01-04-2006, 08:02 PM
cool thanks for all of your awesome input guys, now i know what to expect when i gotta smog it. after the smog i'm gonna do up the k04 right & reflash the pc-16 file & throw in my 310's & adj fpr. maybe a little test pipe or a special "cat"...... hollow as she goes.

dualaudi
01-04-2006, 10:42 PM
Hollow as she goes?

what the???? is this some new terminology? sounds like i need to go to ghetto riggin ma ride school...

j/k sounds like the way i wanna go!

do you guys know if a k04 with the pc16 file will pass with a sniffer test? or better to stick with APR or GIAC programming until smog is done....

dualaudi
01-04-2006, 10:43 PM
hey kidds.... let me know if you want me to photochop a signature for you on the zine...

lates

AvantSpeed
01-04-2006, 11:28 PM
its definetly an idle test no dyno rollers for AWD cars. I doubt you'll have any issues.

chimchongdlight
08-13-2009, 03:40 PM
Do u guys know if ima pass with a drop i. K & N and a fmic?

Seerlah
08-13-2009, 03:49 PM
I am not too fluent on CA laws, but you should. There is a stipulation for intercoolers (someone should chime in and confirm) and a K&N filter does not actually do anything. It is just an oil filter.

chimchongdlight
08-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Well its a cone filter. My bad not a drop in but its k n N

Seerlah
08-13-2009, 03:59 PM
As previously stated, I am not fluent on CA laws. Hopefully, someone will chimme in with confirmation on that matter. But there is a law that passes aftermarket intercoolers.

andyrew
08-13-2009, 04:22 PM
No one has stated the full truth.

If the shop doesnt have a 4wd dyno then they will do an idle test AND they will have it rev up to 2500rpm and test it as if it was under load.

and like mentioned your turbo should not have any effect.

Your cone filter might get you to fail the visual. You might want to see if you know someone close by with a stock filter you can swap out.

Ado
08-13-2009, 05:24 PM
andyrew is right.
since my a4 is fwd they put it on the dyno. since most smog shops dont have 4wd dynos. at least the shops i been to.
with awd car they do the sniffer test.

i failed cali smog. once they open the hood they just start shaking there head. im running a greddy fmic, vr6 throttle body, apr tip, apr tb hose, and a catch can.

i when to a few smog shops to see if they would let me slide and no way in hell. i finally ended up paying a shop to do it illegally.

mike-2ptzero
08-13-2009, 08:35 PM
andyrew is right.
since my a4 is fwd they put it on the dyno. since most smog shops dont have 4wd dynos. at least the shops i been to.

i failed cali smog. once they open the hood they just start shaking there head. im running a greddy fmic, vr6 throttle body, apr tip, apr tb hose, and a catch can.

i when to a few smog shops to see if they would let me slide and no way in hell. i finally ended up paying a shop to do it illegally.

FMIC, VR6 TB, APR tip hose and APR TB hose wont cause you to fail. If the catch can is a vented version then that will cause you to fail if they can actually see it.

Ado
08-13-2009, 09:03 PM
the would not let me pass the visual inspection because of all that stuff.

andyrew
08-13-2009, 10:21 PM

Ask them to show you where it says in the smog laws that you cant have those items on your car.

You have a factory intercooler therefore you are legally allowed to relocate it and replace it.

Vr6 throttle body, no one can tell that, besides its a replacement part. Turbo inlet pipe.

The inlet pipes might have been the ones that set them off because its similar to a cold air intake which can cause you to fail visual..

mike-2ptzero
08-14-2009, 12:30 AM

None of it other then the catch can is breaking any emission laws, so there are no laws saying you cant change those parts. Turbo inlet hose and TB hose, what a joke and I would love to see them show me where in the code book it says those hoses have to be CARB certified. Did you ask them if they knew how to read English?

creechsa4
08-14-2009, 04:54 AM
wow this post back from the archives! cali smog, our archrival every 2 years. booo

mike-2ptzero
08-14-2009, 07:21 AM
wow this post back from the archives! cali smog, our archrival every 2 years. booo

For most. My A4 was actually smog exempt before I took it off the road.

dcampana
08-14-2009, 11:28 AM
mike how did you get it to be exempt? i am hoping to use a firends address where they are not required to smog vehicles. its one city over from me, and no cars are required to smog. sucks big time, now i have the 2871 on my car i will NEVER pass the visual let alone the sniffer...

1poynt8tee
08-14-2009, 11:39 AM
How did you manage to get smog exemption? Also- add another person to the "failed visual for an APR tip and cone filter" list [rolleyes]

belinko
08-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Anyone know of any "good" smog shops in SD/SoCal area?

If answered, please PM, don't post.

mike-2ptzero
08-14-2009, 02:10 PM
mike how did you get it to be exempt? i am hoping to use a firends address where they are not required to smog vehicles. its one city over from me, and no cars are required to smog. sucks big time, now i have the 2871 on my car i will NEVER pass the visual let alone the sniffer...

A VW guy that used to post on Vortex and someone 034 knew.

audiluxary
08-16-2009, 10:47 AM
I passed many of times when I lived in Cali. I went to multiple places on coast highway in Oceanside. I had a K03 with APR 91 file, APR tip, FMIC, Full exhaust but still had stock cat, MBC cranked up a bit. I usually took my intake out and put the stock one in before I went but the last time I went right before I moved I forgot to take it out because I was so busy, and I still passed, he looked right at it and never failed me for visual inspection. I guess it depends where you go, I still have my Cali tags now and some extra add ons[:D][:D]

Young Pete
09-12-2009, 03:14 AM
andyrew is right.

hey ADO, i live in the the bay as well and need to pay a shop. email and or pm me when u get a chance asap. thanks.

DDMan
09-17-2009, 05:35 AM
Just to give my experience. I have a 2002 B6 A4 with GIAC K04 FX chip (injectors/K04) with the MBC feature. I also have the stock intake, Samco TIP and FMIC

Was scared about getting smogged, but I passed visual without any issues. I did put the car back to "stock mode" but other than that... I did nothing. For those of you who replaced your intakes, might I ask why? Our intakes are good to about 350hp, so why just make it that much more obvious you have a modified car?

Either way, the shop that passed my Audi also passed my Subaru which had headers on it. I just put the stock airbox back on along with a stock-ish muffler and they didn't question me. Put some effort into making it look somewhat stock and you should pass w/o any problems. Now I just want to test the car for fun on for emissions with my *ahem* test pipe. Lol.

sittinherebored
09-17-2009, 08:06 AM
so in cali you cant have modified cars and pass an inspection? i thought it was a smog test not a "your car should look this way" test

dcampana
09-17-2009, 08:47 AM
CA emission laws are much different. can not have modifications that are not CARB approved/ exempt. so, thats the problem.

I am going to register my cars in a town about 15 minutes from me as they do not have to smog cars/ trucks period. then I wont have to worry!!!!

destrolock
09-17-2009, 09:14 AM
I was able to pass easily with the below mods:

On stock exhaust.

-GIAC FXK04/"Hammer" programming (via Jeff Moss)
-Siemens 380cc injectors
-TT 225 MAF
-KKK K04-15
-Stock 4 bar FPR
-Carbonio intake Gen. 1
-Greddy FMIC
-IOTA Port and Polished Exhaust Manifold
-IOTA Port and Polished Throttle Body
-TurboXS BPV

Should not be an issue for you OP as long as you have no CEL and your ECU is in ready mode.

whoace
09-17-2009, 03:05 PM
The test should definitely be a two speed idle if its AWD. My advice is to put some high octane gas in and give it a hard run right before your appointment. The hotter the cat, the lower the emissions. That is, of course, assuming your NOX bed isn't pooched.