PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering?

ssrgeoff
01-02-2006, 09:29 PM
Looking for someones help. I got home last night and as I was pulling into our housing development I noticed that I could hear whining and the steering seem to be losing its assist I pulled into the garage and decided I would look at it in the morning since it was a 3 hr drive home. This morning I notice what looks to be water behind the drivers side front wheel, only its not water its still wet. I smelled it and cant tell but it is thick and slimy. Power Steering Fluid? I dont want to start the car let alone drive it to a service shop until I do a little investigating. I dont have the manual that comes with the car so is the reservoir on the drivers side in front of the wheel well for steering fluid? I opened it and saw it was bone dry. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...

s4ddriverr
01-02-2006, 09:43 PM
yup thats the power steering fluid, on mine its a yellowish tank with a green cap. I think your right about not driving it since that may cause damage to the powersteering pump itself. I'd say fill it up and then drive to your shop. that is if it all doesn't pour out instantly.

A4Rob
01-02-2006, 09:43 PM
pump might be going

ssrgeoff
01-02-2006, 10:18 PM
Yeah the cap is green. Cant tell the color of the tank since it is hidden by black plastic. So with the leak it left in my garage would point to the pump going out? Grrreat......

What fluid do you guys recommend? Usually I go to the dealer but in this case I need to fill it first to see what happens. My folks had an old 5000S that needed a special hydraulic fluid I thought. Would it still be the same?

Mawhitey
01-03-2006, 02:07 AM
Its a special fluid you need , tho could be expensive if it keeps leaking

s4ddriverr
01-03-2006, 03:46 PM
the leak doesnt mean the pump is going bad, you said the leak was behind the drivers side wheel, my guess would be the rack and pinion seals on that side have gone bad. if the pump leaked it would be all over your belts and you engine. hope this helps!