PDA

View Full Version : yet another problem

Quattrocket
01-02-2006, 02:12 PM
so i was at a stop light yesterday and i heard a loud ticking sound coming from my car. I reved my engine a little to see if it was my car and not someone elses and it was. i took the car home, and about 100 feet from my house an oil warning light comes on. it was the one where the oil can is tipped over and oil is dripping out. i assume it meant oil level low. I pulled into the garage to check the level and it was fine. I did an oil change today anyways and the tick is still there. WTF? any ideas whats wrong, or what this tick is?

mike-2ptzero
01-02-2006, 02:13 PM
Where is the tick coming from? Problem could be a oil pressure issure.

Quattrocket
01-02-2006, 02:13 PM
Also, I just let the car warm up in the garage and the ticking is now gone. i dont know if its gonna come back though.

Quattrocket
01-02-2006, 02:14 PM
its hard to tell, but its either from cyl 3 or the cam tensioner chain. not exactly sure though.

Quattrocket
01-02-2006, 02:19 PM
just did the old broom stick to the ear method to find the sound. the tick is gone but by the sound of it now Id say it was coming from the cam chain tensioner. any danger associated with this area ticking?

BarryT82
01-02-2006, 02:34 PM
Mine didi that for about a month before the stealership could fix it. it only made the sound when the car was cold if I remember correctly. It started to get worse after a few weeks and made the sound all the time. It was under warranty and the service advisor knew about it so I just drove it hoping the engine would blow up and they'd replace it.

TomRitt18944
01-02-2006, 02:34 PM
yea id be scared of low oil pressure, maybe the oil pump pickup was clocked? That would be a really serious problem if it really was low oil pressure. I'd get an oil pressure gauge and just make sure everythings ok, maybe even have a shop check things out

s4ddriverr
01-02-2006, 02:36 PM
It may just be bad gas. also try pushing in the clutch like half a inch and see if any sounds change. As far as the oil light if the level is full then I would agree with mike-2ptzero it must be oil pressure, maybe the oil fillter you used was damaged on the inside?

TomRitt18944
01-02-2006, 02:42 PM
that light is the only light that really worries me, be careful!!

Quattrocket
01-02-2006, 04:55 PM
thanks guys, im gonna call the mech tomorrow but I think I found my prob. I pulled the intake box out so i could have a better look at the block to look for cracks or something, and I noticed some oil burning on the side of the turbo.
so I checked the oil feed and it seems that it has loosened and was spitting a small amount of oil out. I tightened back up to specs just like i did the first time and its been running fine in the garage. hope nothing got damaged.
why would the oil line loosen though. that really pisses me off, cuz I always make sure everything is to spec.

.:AJ:.
01-02-2006, 05:24 PM
my car makes a ticking sound, but only when it is cold...
let us know what the mech says

AB18
01-02-2006, 05:35 PM
Mine does aswell.

Quattrocket
01-02-2006, 05:58 PM
My old acura legend would tick like crazy when it was cold. Turns out that it was a faulty lifter design.