PDA

View Full Version : Gah!!! I hate the Audi Concert Stereo!!!!

94jedi
12-30-2005, 07:53 PM
Ok, so I replaced all the speakers, re-ran speaker wire throughout the car, I even made sure all signal wires are routed seperately from power wires. I can't believe I still have fucken engine whine coming through the speakers!!!!!

I'm using the blaupunkt adapter for pre outs. Does anyone have any thoughts? how did you guys run your wiring? I've eliminated every possible factor...

someone help me!!!

Neo1130
12-30-2005, 08:00 PM
You running the speakers off the head unit or an amp? If it is off of an amp, try shortening the ground wire and cleaning up the contacts of the ground also... This is where I would start out at... Also check all battery connections... But bad ground is usually #1 for noise induction...

94jedi
12-30-2005, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Neo1130
You running the speakers off the head unit or an amp? If it is off of an amp, try shortening the ground wire and cleaning up the contacts of the ground also... This is where I would start out at... Also check all battery connections... But bad ground is usually #1 for noise induction...

Speakers are running off the amp. my ground is maybe 12" long at most. one thing I didn't do that I probably should do is strip the ground point to bare metal. it's painted right now with the factory paint.

Neo1130
12-30-2005, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by 94jedi
Speakers are running off the amp. my ground is maybe 12" long at most. one thing I didn't do that I probably should do is strip the ground point to bare metal. it's painted right now with the factory paint.

That will be your problem!! 95% sure of it!!

KevinA41.8T
12-30-2005, 08:13 PM
use a little wire wheel on a power drill it takes it off in 2 seconds...works great

94jedi
12-30-2005, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by KevinA41.8T
use a little wire wheel on a power drill it takes it off in 2 seconds...works great

yep, gonna dremel it tommorrow morning.

thanks for the tips guys.

AB18
12-30-2005, 09:20 PM
My stock system is doing great surprisely.

94jedi
12-31-2005, 11:31 AM
anyone else have any thoughts?

4ingDrive
12-31-2005, 11:35 AM
Is the noise out of both channels or one? What kind of amp is it? Is the gain set up properly? How does the ground terminal at the battery look? How about where it connects to the body?

buck
12-31-2005, 02:11 PM
Take some bare wire and wrap it around the RCA connection that comes out of the blaupunkt adapter (where the metal/gold is bare). Secure the other end of that wire around a ground behind the radio.

One of the guys here had that same problem and that solved it.

Gundem
12-31-2005, 09:18 PM
why don't you just jest teh unit? do you have to stick to stock?

94jedi
01-01-2006, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by Sx2
why don't you just jest teh unit? do you have to stick to stock?

you mean replace the stock unit? Yeah I thought about that but nothing looks as good in the space as the stock unit does. Plus I have the Phat noise phat box. Nothing mathches the interior lights perfectly and I hate the look of the aftermarket dash kits. My only options were stick with stock or go with a custom fiberglass dash kit and it's too cold to fiberglass properly right now.

juju4uofa
01-01-2006, 07:58 AM
I've been trying to wire an aftermarket amp to my concert HU for about three weeks now. I've been to two car audio shops, posted threads on here, and posted on car audio forums. No one knows where my noise is coming from. I've tried a ground loop eliminator, bypassing my crossovers, hooking the amp up right at the radio to elminate the wire length issue and nothing works. I have engine noise and static. The static is there regardless if the car is on or off. If I pause my iPod (which is hard wired via blitzsafe) and turn up the volume on the radio you can vaguely here whatever radio station was on on the FM channel, as if the HU isn't fully swapping over to CD mode. I've got one more guy who's going to look at it but if he can't figure it out then I'll have to go aftermarket.

94jedi
01-01-2006, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by buck
Take some bare wire and wrap it around the RCA connection that comes out of the blaupunkt adapter (where the metal/gold is bare). Secure the other end of that wire around a ground behind the radio.

One of the guys here had that same problem and that solved it.

thanks buck I'll try that today!

4ingDrive
01-01-2006, 08:45 AM
I've hooked up dozens of Audi radios to aftermarket amps and have never had a noise issue. There's something you guys are overlooking.

94jedi
01-01-2006, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by 4ingDrive
I've hooked up dozens of Audi radios to aftermarket amps and have never had a noise issue. There's something you guys are overlooking.

Where do you run your RCA's? I ran them down the pass side along with the remote lead. Of course, the speaker wire from the components in the door ran down that side as well. I ran the power wire down the driver side along with the speaker wirefrom the drivers side components. That wouldn't cause noise would it? I know you shouldn't run power next to rca's but power next to speaker wire has never cause dan issue for me before, neither has the remote lead next to rca's.

4ingDrive
01-01-2006, 09:03 AM
It's rare that noise is induced through power wire or rcas. Almost all the time it's a ground loop issue.

94jedi
01-01-2006, 09:09 AM
It's rare that noise is induced through power wire or rcas. Almost all the time it's a ground loop issue.

hmm....guess it's time to go shorten that ground and make sure it's a good connection to bare metal. Hey 4ring, bookmark my thread so you can see my progress and give me more ideas![:D] thanks for the help.

4ingDrive
01-01-2006, 09:17 AM
I will. If you need to pm me and I'll give you my number to discuss this more.

94jedi
01-01-2006, 10:57 AM
I will. If you need to pm me and I'll give you my number to discuss this more.

Well, I shortened my ground wire, picked a different ground point under the back seat and viola, no more engine noise. For some reason, the 2 different points I picked on the metal of the rear deck were not good ground points. Word to the wise: don't ground to the rear deck.

My next issue will be seeing how the new ground point handles two amps grounded to it. Shouldn't be a problem but if any of you have any prior experience please let me know if that's going to cause me trouble or not.

4ingDrive
01-01-2006, 11:05 AM
I didn't realize you grounded the amp to the rear deck. Those are off limits as they're usually only spot welded to the rest of the body.

4ingDrive
01-01-2006, 12:06 PM
There is nothing better than the Blaupunkt piece to get a preamp signal out of a stock deck. The Navone piece is neccesary in the Outback because it doesn't have any low level outputs.

4ingDrive
01-01-2006, 12:21 PM
The Blaupunkt adaptor is just a plug with rca's and a turn on lead attached to it. That's all. It takes advantage of the decks existing outputs. By the way high level outputs have a hell of a lot more noise than low level. If it were the other way around everyone would be using them and no aftermarket decks would have pre outs. Besides the crappy amps built into decks sure weren't designed for sound quality but for a comprimise for power output.