PDA

View Full Version : A simple fuel filter change made hard...

badassbaldie
12-29-2005, 05:41 PM
Well, I figured that I would change the fuel filter seeing that I'm approaching 100K. Easy enough, right? Wrong!

First of all, while taking it out, I broke the upper fuel line (to the motor):

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/6235IM000504-med.JPG

Second, I open the box for the new filter and they gave me the wrong damn one! One has banjo bolt fitting (mine) and the other is just a clamp on:

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/6235IM000503-med.JPG

Of course, the dealer is closed. Now I've got to get the right filter and I also have to replace the short portion of fuel line that snapped. And to top it all off, the filter looked clean inside...[headbang]

BarryT82
12-29-2005, 05:59 PM
I just changed mine today. How the hell did that line break? Did you cut it or was it dry rotted?

Quattrocket
12-29-2005, 06:06 PM
yup, Ive got the wrong one too, luckily I saw it was the wrong one right before I removed the old one.

badassbaldie
12-29-2005, 06:20 PM
I just changed mine today. How the hell did that line break? Did you cut it or was it dry rotted?

Nope, it wasn't dry rotted. I noticed there wasn't a bracket bolt so I figured it would pull out easy. Come to find out that someone must have replaced it before because the bracket was zip-tied. It was an MFer getting it out and that was why. I think I might have pulled too hard and I noticed it was snapped.

yup, Ive got the wrong one too, luckily I saw it was the wrong one right before I removed the old one.

Yes, I should have checked before hand. But that would've been too easy. Oh, and quattro, I did have a full tank of gas! haha You and I open a garage and we would be out of business in about 2 days!!!

SpoolIt
12-29-2005, 07:03 PM
LOL damn ECS sent me the wrong one. (1st time anything has gone wrong with them too). Luckily I also noticed before i took the old one off. The one with the nipples is from the fronttrak really common mistake i guess [rolleyes]

mike-2ptzero
12-29-2005, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by SpoolIt
LOL damn ECS sent me the wrong one. (1st time anything has gone wrong with them too). Luckily I also noticed before i took the old one off. The one with the nipples is from the fronttrak really common mistake i guess [rolleyes]

I think the B6 also gets one with just nipples and it is under the car not tucked up near the tank.

badassbaldie
12-30-2005, 07:34 AM
Oh, and of course, no one has the fuel line in stock so I can't get it until Tuesday. Five days for a 20 minute job...Sounds about right in my garage!! [wrench] [=(] [headbang]

BarryT82
12-30-2005, 08:21 PM
20 minutes if you don't have any problems. For some reason one of the fuel tank bolts wouldn't line up right so I had to move it around until I could get it where I needed it. I wish I had a lift.

badassbaldie
12-30-2005, 10:11 PM
Oh, and of course, no one has the fuel line in stock so I can't get it until Tuesday.

I couldn't wait that long, or at least wanted to try piecing it together. I bought some 1/4 ID fuel line hosing and clamps from Pepboys and it went together pretty well. Cost me about $4.00 in parts vs. $20 and being without a car for 5 days.

20 minutes if you don't have any problems. For some reason one of the fuel tank bolts wouldn't line up right so I had to move it around until I could get it where I needed it. I wish I had a lift.

You didn't drop your tank, did you? The only issue I had other than snapping the line was one of the other lines were kind of in the way. I was able to move it around (carefully this time) and got the filter back up in its spot.

LateraLex
12-31-2005, 09:56 AM
Fuel filter job is a PITA without a lift. Audi really crams that thing in there. [:(]

4ingDrive
12-31-2005, 10:41 AM
What town are you in baldie?

badassbaldie
12-31-2005, 11:03 AM
What town are you in baldie?

Southwest suburbs - Frankfort/Mokena area. You are up near Schaumburg, right? I think I talked to you a while back when I had my other A4.

4ingDrive
12-31-2005, 11:09 AM
Oh yeah, I'm in Hoffman Estates. Not sure how far that is from you though.