PDA

View Full Version : So here we go BAT Build

jjh81
07-10-2017, 12:55 PM
Well I have been lurking and now I'm ready to take the dive. I have decided to do a big turbo build on my 99 a4 Quattro aeb. I'm not sure of what turbo to get though so here's a small list of what I think I'm going to put into this build and maybe I can get some more help. Plus some incite.

The build will be.

AEB Block

IE Rods
Weisco Pistons
Over sized exhaust valves
Upgraded springs and retainers
1000cc injectors
spa t3 manifold
Im thinking cts ic setup but if its only good for 450 anyone have a suggestion
of course all arp rod main and head bolts
thinking about using cometic headgasket unless there is something better out there
just going to hone the block
and going to be running maxxecu plug and play unit
will also upgrade fuel rail and fpr
and put a 225 walbro and a inline pump in if necessary

turbo????

As I said any help is great let me know what I'm missing will be picking up rods and pistons and ecu before the end of the month hopefully unless I can get a used built motor I'm looking at which id rather honestly and just do a refresh on it.

B3trayus
07-10-2017, 01:14 PM
BAT=Big Ass Turbo.
Just in case some one was thinking about asking. Hahahah

Now, what # is your block?
I'm assuming you are using the 058, since it's AEB.
Some use aeb components with the 06b ATW. There's a few differences, but since you are building from the ground up, it may be something to look into

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jjh81
07-10-2017, 01:35 PM
Yeah 058 yeah I dont want to stroke it or anything like that

thedanplasse
07-11-2017, 06:20 AM
You'll need machine work to the block most likely with new pistons. You need the right clearances, and there's a chance with the block that there will be some wear in the cylinders. Get it measured before buying pistons. Runnig arp main studs will require allign honing of the mains as well. What are your HP goals? You might not need oversized exhaust valves depending on HP goals. What head are you running.

jjh81
07-11-2017, 08:48 AM
Really an align hone for main studs I've built a few import motors and never had to do that is it a euro thing or an Audi thing? Im going to have my machine shop look at the clearances and cylinder walls before I buy any pistons I agree I may need more than a hone we will see. realistic hp goals 500whp id like 650 or up but idk if its possible lol. I'm running a 058 AEB head.

Seerlah
07-11-2017, 10:17 AM
ATW is 058 with a small port cylinder head and drive by wire vs drive by cable on the AEB 058. 06B is the B7 A4 block when referring to the Audi platform.

thedanplasse
07-11-2017, 11:34 AM
Really an align hone for main studs I've built a few import motors and never had to do that is it a euro thing or an Audi thing? Im going to have my machine shop look at the clearances and cylinder walls before I buy any pistons I agree I may need more than a hone we will see. realistic hp goals 500whp id like 650 or up but idk if its possible lol. I'm running a 058 AEB head.

With different torque specs comes different tolerance and clearances. It would be the smart thing to do. But hey, it's your crank. 650 is a tall order but it can be done.

ATW is 058 with a small port cylinder head and drive by wire vs drive by cable on the AEB 058. 06B is the B7 A4 block when referring to the Audi platform.

You'll just have to run your dbw tb.

jjh81
07-11-2017, 12:31 PM
The motor is an 058 aeb

jjh81
07-14-2017, 07:43 AM
bump no other help i read and read and cant find more info

Believer
07-14-2017, 10:26 AM
What is the question again? I'm a bit confused on the discussion of DBW throttle bodies here. His car is AEB large port head, 058 block, drive by cable unless I missed something.

If you aren't stroking, I am not seeing any reason to even consider pistons unless the block is out of spec. If everything is in spec, hone, rings, stock pistons, rods (and bearings), done.

As for the main studs - I would bolt it all up, torque to spec and see how the tolerances spec out using plastigage. If it is out of spec there are over/under sized bearings or you could speak with a machine shop about your best option.

I didn't see upgraded camshafts on the list. The stock ones, especially the intake cam, will become a limitation with your power goals.

Clutch? Not too familiar with a lot of the aftermarket clutches but you'll need something serious to hold that power level. Check out RingerRacing for a pretty wide variety of clutch options. TTV in the UK makes very high quality billet flywheels - they offer 240mm options which will hold more power than a 228mm clutch while utilizing a less aggressive disc.

For the turbo, I would imagine you're looking at a GT35+ sized turbo. There's lot of options out there from Borg Warner, Comp Turbo, Garrett, even Holset. You've got to determine which one will suit your goals best. 500 AWHP is roughly 625 HP at the crank assuming a 20% drivetrain loss, some would argue there is even more loss than that. For 500 AWHP then, you will need a turbo capable of flowing 625 HP worth of air.

thedanplasse
07-14-2017, 11:28 AM
For some dumb reason i thought he had a 06a car and was swapping an aeb in. hence the throttle bodies

Wet0willy01
07-14-2017, 12:33 PM
For the turbo, I would imagine you're looking at a GT35+ sized turbo. There's lot of options out there from Borg Warner, Comp Turbo, Garrett, even Holset. You've got to determine which one will suit your goals best. 500 AWHP is roughly 625 HP at the crank assuming a 20% drivetrain loss, some would argue there is even more loss than that. For 500 AWHP then, you will need a turbo capable of flowing 625 HP worth of air.

FWIW I made 630 AWHP on an HTA35R with an 06a with stock pistons (amb cast w/19mm wristpins btw) on 93+meth. It's definitely on the laggy side with stock displacement.

thedanplasse
07-14-2017, 01:18 PM
FWIW I made 630 AWHP on an HTA35R with an 06a with stock pistons (amb cast w/19mm wristpins btw) on 93+meth. It's definitely on the laggy side with stock displacement.

I got a killer deal on 20over JE forged pistons, so I bought those, but I also had some wear in the cylinders. IE forged rods with 20mm wrist pins. ARP main, and head studs, 058 block. Port, and polish head with stock sized Ferra exhaust valves, stock intake valves, IE springs, and retainers. I'd like IE cams but....who knows when those will be available. holset hx35 with a tims turbos .63 hotside.

jjh81
07-15-2017, 10:15 AM
What is the question again? I'm a bit confused on the discussion of DBW throttle bodies here. His car is AEB large port head, 058 block, drive by cable unless I missed something.

If you aren't stroking, I am not seeing any reason to even consider pistons unless the block is out of spec. If everything is in spec, hone, rings, stock pistons, rods (and bearings), done.

As for the main studs - I would bolt it all up, torque to spec and see how the tolerances spec out using plastigage. If it is out of spec there are over/under sized bearings or you could speak with a machine shop about your best option.

I didn't see upgraded camshafts on the list. The stock ones, especially the intake cam, will become a limitation with your power goals.

Clutch? Not too familiar with a lot of the aftermarket clutches but you'll need something serious to hold that power level. Check out RingerRacing for a pretty wide variety of clutch options. TTV in the UK makes very high quality billet flywheels - they offer 240mm options which will hold more power than a 228mm clutch while utilizing a less aggressive disc.

Thanks for the incite that was the information I was looking for I would rather not do anything with the pistons unless i have too so I hope I can get away with just a hone I have been looking at a few company that carry cams for our cars and I think I'm going to try to see if I can get something from cat. I am familiar with drivetrain loss so yeah i need to shoot for the higher end of the numbers I'm looking at.

Believer
07-15-2017, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the incite that was the information I was looking for I would rather not do anything with the pistons unless i have too so I hope I can get away with just a hone I have been looking at a few company that carry cams for our cars and I think I'm going to try to see if I can get something from cat. I am familiar with drivetrain loss so yeah i need to shoot for the higher end of the numbers I'm looking at.
No problem. Looking forward to what you decide and your progress!

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk