PDA

View Full Version : Hunt for a better daily

xthealienatorx
07-09-2017, 09:29 AM
Hey all, been gone for awhile, been playing with big trucks and stuff, but the 100 mile daily commute at 14mpg in the truck is getting old and expensive. I've had my Audi for almost 5 years, was my first car, 01 2.8 Quattro auto. I played the switch cars all the time about a year ago so I drove both, but it got old not knowing what was in what vehicle, and the audi doesn't get any better gas mileage than the truck. I get a out 16.5 in the audi with roof rack and premium, and the cost of premium offsets that difference. I've always wanted to go tdi, but I don't think the initial cost or the slowness is worth it, and last time I asked this question, everyone said 1.8t is the way to go.

I bought a 04 passat a couple years ago for another project, the car ran fantastic, was a 1.8t fwd manual car. As far as I remember(it's been a while since I've messed with this) it just plugs in at the chassis harness, correct? And then use the 1.8t ecu. Now, my car is auto, will the flex plate bolt to the manual crank? I'm pretty sure it will. And I can just get the ecu tuned for auto? I would like to go to a manual trans, I know where a car is with a manual trans(96 2.8 car), if I were to swap the trans I wont need to do anything with the ecu, right? I like the idea of having a manual in my car, but I the only cost I would have just swapping engines is little stuff like gaskets. Also, how different are the a.c. systems? Sorry for the mass of questions, it's been a while since I've been into these cars and it's taking a little for all the info to come back to me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

tar
07-09-2017, 10:26 AM
Sell current a4 and passat, buy 1.8t Quattro a4. Unless u have tons of mods in a4 doing a swap really makes no sense. Imo

xthealienatorx
07-09-2017, 10:37 AM
It's got value to me and I know the chassis is sound, passat is gone, just have all parts from it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Davdraco1
07-09-2017, 12:36 PM
I agree with Tar here. But to answer your question. The flex plate should mount up fine. I would imagine the AC locations and lines might be different, the pump I assume would be the same. Maybe do a P/N check on that. You would definitely need the right harness and related electrical. For what it's worth, why not buy a manual 1.8t with a bad motor and just use your motor. Could probably pick one up for under a grand.

HumbleTurbo
07-09-2017, 03:53 PM
Haven't seen many people swapping a 1.8t manual into a 2.8 automatic, usually the other way around. And I'm not totally sure but wouldn't you have to pay 2.8 prices on your 1.8t vehicle? Which I think are a little more.

I agree with Tar here. But to answer your question. The flex plate should mount up fine. I would imagine the AC locations and lines might be different, the pump I assume would be the same. Maybe do a P/N check on that. You would definitely need the right harness and related electrical. For what it's worth, why not buy a manual 1.8t with a bad motor and just use your motor. Could probably pick one up for under a grand.

I agree with this, buy a blown 1.8t, do a weekend motor swap then rock that as a daily... Then buy the manual 2.8 that you know of and turn that into a damn savage.