PDA

View Full Version : Funny smell.......and I need help!!

gUrLsCaNdOiT2
12-28-2005, 08:17 AM
[confused]

I need help...

Lately my 98 B5 2.8q has this odd smell almost like burning
rubber or electrical burning!

I live in CT and it does get cold but lately its been warmer than usual and my car still has that smell. It's not constant and doesnt last long.

I've had my car since May and this is the 1st winter for her with me, and it just started recently!

I've searched all posts since last year, about "smells" and found similar references to what I'm dealing with but didn't find the reason for it or the cure!

My car is running perfectly fine with no issues at all...

Can anyone tell me where this is coming from? and How to fix it?

[wrench]

jeremy@matrix
12-28-2005, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by gUrLsCaNdOiT2
[confused]

I need help...

Lately my 98 B5 2.8q has this odd smell almost like burning
rubber or electrical burning!

I live in CT and it does get cold but lately its been warmer than usual and my car still has that smell. It's not constant and doesnt last long.

I've had my car since May and this is the 1st winter for her with me, and it just started recently!

I've searched all posts since last year, about "smells" and found similar references to what I'm dealing with but didn't find the reason for it or the cure!

My car is running perfectly fine with no issues at all...

Can anyone tell me where this is coming from? and How to fix it?

[wrench]

Hmmm....where is the smell coming from? Only on cold starts, then it goes away?

gUrLsCaNdOiT2
12-28-2005, 09:39 AM
I can't tell where it's coming from, it's random and usually after I've been driving for a while.

Brooksthepro
12-28-2005, 01:54 PM
it may be your clutch burning. Are you pretty hard on it? such as launching or alot of downshifting?

edit: did you just get your oil changed? the person that did it may have spilled a little bit on the engine. and the oil is just burning off....

k0mpresd
12-28-2005, 02:00 PM
I can't tell where it's coming from, it's random and usually after I've been driving for a while.
i think maybe what jeremy is asking is it more noticeable on the inside or the outside of the car? front/back?

not a rotten egg smell is it?

kombi
12-28-2005, 05:13 PM
It could be a small fluid leak migrating from the engine area to the exhaust and burning. Check all fluid levels, trans too.

TheBlueMartin
12-28-2005, 05:15 PM
Cam adjuster seals.....

jeremy@matrix
12-28-2005, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by k0mpresd
i think maybe what jeremy is asking is it more noticeable on the inside or the outside of the car? front/back?

not a rotten egg smell is it?

Yes, inside, outside, front, back, etc.

jeremy@matrix
12-28-2005, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by TheBlueMartin
Cam adjuster seals.....

Cam chain tensioner gaskets was my initial thought as well but SHE states it's a rubber or electrical smell.

gurls,
How many miles do you have on the A4?

k0mpresd
12-28-2005, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by jeremy@matrix
but he states it's a rubber or electrical smell.

gurls,
lol [;)]

bitterchild
12-28-2005, 06:44 PM
it is the 21st century... [confused] [eek]

TheBlueMartin
Originally posted by jeremy@matrix
Cam chain tensioner gaskets was my initial thought as well but he states it's a rubber or electrical smell.

gurls,

I had a LOT of people come in with 'rubber burning smells' that turned out to be cam tensioner seals leaking onto the down pipes. Its a good guess for someone that just bought that car and doesnt know whats wrong with it...

AudiSnawb
You have an oil leak.......... my car does it too....

jeremy@matrix
12-29-2005, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by k0mpresd
lol [;)]

Edited, sorry Gurls!

Thx k0mpresd.

jeremy@matrix
12-29-2005, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by TheBlueMartin
I had a LOT of people come in with 'rubber burning smells' that turned out to be cam tensioner seals leaking onto the down pipes. Its a good guess for someone that just bought that car and doesnt know whats wrong with it...

It's most likely depending on mileage. I would guess she has at least 65k on the car, probably more like 75k. Gurls?

Future2
12-29-2005, 07:16 PM
i had the same problem. it was a chicken nugget under the seat.

gUrLsCaNdOiT2
12-30-2005, 08:08 AM
Hey guys... girls know some things... [:p]

jeremy@matrix:

There's alot of miles on her, I think she just rolled 125K... bought it with 110k... alot I know!!

It's mostly on the inside of the car, and the weird thing is it has smelled since I posted this... figures...

I'm not sure what it could be.. I do need to have my oil changed! I was thinking it was an oil leak too but I when I got the car the both valve cover gaskets were leaking, and the smell was different it smelled like burning oil, and mostly smelled outside the car.... I'm lost!!

Thank you EverYone!!!! I appreciate all the HELP!!! [:D] if there is anything more you great guys can think of... let me know!!!

Brooksthepro: it's tiptronic, no clutch... havent mastered 5spd yet : )

TheBlueMartin: I'm going to check the cams/seals..etc Thank you!

k0mpresd: No rotten egg smell, and it's inside the car for the most part/coming from the front of the car almost makes you think it's the heat vents...??

audisnapr
12-30-2005, 08:42 AM
your nose knows best gurls. I would start sniff'n around. Just don't do it while other ppl are watching, they'll think you are insane. Get down on the floor of the front seats and poke around a bit - most of the electrical is fully covered, so you won't see much, but you might be able to determine if the smell is getting stronger. My honda used to do that. Very distinctly electrical smell. It wasn't any of the things the guys listed above in my case. Turned out to be a stereo wire that was rubbing on a piece of exposed metal and was shorting from time to time.

If the smell doesn't pan out somewhere in the cockpit, do the same under the hood. Look around the lights and anything else electrical that warms up after use.

Lastly, check the back seat. There is a ton of electrical crap under our back seats. You never know.

gUrLsCaNdOiT2
12-30-2005, 09:48 AM
I'll try that... Thank you

I have no shame I'll do it with people in the car, my friends all think Im crazy anyway... LOL [:p]

jeremy@matrix
12-30-2005, 02:08 PM
Hey guys... girls know some things... [:p]

jeremy@matrix:

There's alot of miles on her, I think she just rolled 125K... bought it with 110k... alot I know!!

It's mostly on the inside of the car, and the weird thing is it has smelled since I posted this... figures...

I'm not sure what it could be.. I do need to have my oil changed! I was thinking it was an oil leak too but I when I got the car the both valve cover gaskets were leaking, and the smell was different it smelled like burning oil, and mostly smelled outside the car.... I'm lost!!

Thank you EverYone!!!! I appreciate all the HELP!!! [:D] if there is anything more you great guys can think of... let me know!!!

Brooksthepro: it's tiptronic, no clutch... havent mastered 5spd yet : )

TheBlueMartin: I'm going to check the cams/seals..etc Thank you!

k0mpresd: No rotten egg smell, and it's inside the car for the most part/coming from the front of the car almost makes you think it's the heat vents...??

Nothing electrical/rubbery comes to mind for us. Have a sniff around.

TheBlueMartin
12-31-2005, 08:22 AM
I'll try that... Thank you

I have no shame I'll do it with people in the car, my friends all think Im crazy anyway... LOL [:p]

In that case, take some pictures of you gurls trying to find the smell and post them!! Nothing hotter than chicks in A6's [;)]