PDA

View Full Version : B5 Rear Hub - Can't find one anywhere!

Cruz1n
06-16-2017, 10:06 PM
Hi, I'm new here.. been driving a 98 b5 1.8t (NON-Quatro..) for almost 300,000 miles now. Been a great car! Had my tires replaced over the years and one by one my rear hub threads are getting stripped out.. my wheel now is only held on with 2 solid lug bolts.

Searching every auto parts house that I can find on the web, no-one carries the rear hub for a 2wd a4. My last resort is to helicoil them, but It would be so much easier to replace the hub. Anyone have a suggestion for a good parts source that might have the hub? Even used?

Thanks!

MetalMan
06-16-2017, 10:24 PM
The answer you seek is easier than you think.
FWD rear hub is part of / built-into the rear rotor:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-zimmermann-parts/rear-brake-rotors-pair-245x10/8d0615601bkt4/

Also of note, the rear wheel bearing is sort of built-into the rotor as well. I'd strongly suggest replacing the rear wheel bearings with the rotors, and looking up the procedure in a Bentley manual. It's super straightfoward but you don't want to miss any little detail.

The rear rotor with wheel bearing mounts onto a stub shaft that's part of the rear axle beam.

Cruz1n
06-17-2017, 06:32 AM
Metalman, you are exactly right! I wonder how the parts supplier's missed this when I called them. All they told me was, sorry we only have the front. Thank you.

bikerbob951
06-20-2017, 05:23 AM
MetalMan knows what's up. [up]

MetalMan
06-20-2017, 08:22 AM
MetalMan knows what's up. [up]

Been there, done that [wrench]