View Full Version : :-((( Freak'n Symphony Removal )))-:

12-26-2005, 02:43 PM
hey all... hope everyone has had some time off during the "holidays"

Anyway - in my efforts to try and install a blitz-safe I first need to remove the head-unit. How the freak'n hell does that thing come out? I spent all day trying to pull it and the only thing I managed to accomplish was slice my finger on the dumb little tools to pull the unit and brake the corner of the face plate off?

There's gotta be an easier way?

Seems like after f'n around with it all day, two of the four locking mechanism don't really even respond anymore. I've tried forcing it, talking dirty to it, nothing works.

Help please. It' needs to come out now for sure. Have to fix that stupid face plate now too.

12-26-2005, 04:02 PM
Damn that sucks. Not to be insulting here but are you sure you have the right tools? The ones I used which worked perfectly for me are these which I got from my dealer for like $12



When these clicked in, I wiggled the unit out a bit on each side at a time until I could slide it all the way out.

I hope that helps. It sounds like maybe the clips are damaged. That happened to another member here...wonder if he ever got his unit out.

12-26-2005, 04:12 PM
Once the clips are in you should hear a click if they disengaged the spring. Then just grab from the tape deck hole and pull.

12-26-2005, 04:12 PM
Here are some tips i have not sure of they are usefully or not. Probally easier to do it with 2 people without the tools. Do one side at a time and then pull that side out a bit. Then go to the other side.

12-26-2005, 04:16 PM
thanks for the reply nate... yup, I've got the correct clips, although mine aren't as fancy as those - hence the sliced finger.

damn dude, I tried everything. I think the clips are damanged cause one of them never "clipped" in and now a second one really isn't clipping in.

it seems like the unit is loose, I can wiggle it in and out an 1/8" or so, but it feels like it's hitting something on the way out.

I don't know... at a loss [:(]

12-26-2005, 05:03 PM
I had the same problem with my removal and key. It takes a little patience. I was able to get my unit out by working one side applying pressure to the side of the removal keys, then working the other side. Little by little the unit with shimmy out (kinda like moving a large piece of furniture by yourself). It should be easier... good luck!

12-26-2005, 05:43 PM
sounds like you might have broken the clips in the radio.

12-26-2005, 06:07 PM
hey guys... ok... finally got her out. Since the face plate was already broken, I figured it was time to just start wrench'n. Jammed a screw driver into the spot where the face plate broke away and just had at it. Finally it popped free. After a little more screw driver work, I got it out with no further damage to the aesthetics of the unit.

Turns out, two of the clips were folder nearly in half. I can almost guarantee the guys at the stealership did it the last time they replaced the head unit. I had it replaced twice under warranty cause it would just turn off and on randomly. You could never catch it turn off then back on, but you could see it out of the corner of your eye. Once in in a while it would turn off and start the cd back to track 1.

Anyway, thanks for your help. Guess I have some repair work to do before I move onto the blitz safe. Thinking of going all aluminum center console now.

12-26-2005, 10:31 PM
Bummer it's damaged, but at least you got it out!

12-27-2005, 04:54 AM
Sorry Joe, got your mesage too late, but it seems like I wouldn't have been able to help much anyway.[:(]

12-27-2005, 11:46 AM
no worries evil - you are right, there was really nothing anyone could have told me to help the situation. Those clips were totally bent in half and were acting as L-brackets preventing it from sliding free.

All is installed now. Repainted the shifter face plate while I was at it. That rubber coating they put on there at the factory just looks like ass after 5-6 yrs of use. This time, instead of using that tool grip spray paint, I just used Duplicolor gloss black. After it dried I did a real nice sanding job with 2000 grit wet/dry paper to dull it up and smooth it out. I really like that look now. May go ahead and re-spray my custom gauge cluster to match.

Thanks again guys.


12-27-2005, 11:48 AM
I am diggin the all custom stuff[up]