PDA

View Full Version : Swapping with S4 cluster

maxiz1
06-14-2017, 05:31 PM
Hello guys,
My 2001 cluster is not behaving properly. The temperature dial oscillates up and down during driving (not in a erratic manner as if it suffers from poor electrical contact). I confirm this via the climatronic display which shows the correct value of 90 degC constantly.

So I'm thinking of swapping with an S4 cluster. Would it be possible to recode it to match with my A4 on the following concerns:

i) The engine RPM and speedometer scale is not the same. For example, for the A4 cluster the 100 km/h mark is at 12 o'clock but the S4 is at 11 o'clock

ii) My A4 is an automatic car. Can I get the S4 cluster for manual and recode it to still display the gear selection P R N D 1 2 3 4?

iii) My A4 is a UK version and has a built in immobilizer. I'd like to swap the immobilizer chip to the S4. But this is not really critical

Thanks guys.

maxiz1
06-15-2017, 05:24 AM
Sorry guys i think i hv jumped the gun to blame my speedometer. This is due the wrong reading of the temperature indicator. I'm wondering since the CTS has 4 wires compared to 2 for newer models, could it be that there are 2 separate sensor within it i.e. one signal goes to ECU/climatronic and the other goes to the cluster? Could it be that the signal that goes to the cluster is faulty? I dont get any error codes.

MetalMan
06-15-2017, 08:47 AM
I'm wondering since the CTS has 4 wires compared to 2 for newer models, could it be that there are 2 separate sensor within it i.e. one signal goes to ECU/climatronic and the other goes to the cluster? Could it be that the signal that goes to the cluster is faulty? I dont get any error codes.

This is quite possible.

Do you have VCDS/VAG-COM? If so, you can enter the Instrument Cluster, and view the coolant temperature being reported to it. If this value doesn't match the temperature reported by the ECU, then the CTS is faulty.

BTW there's a strong possibility you would need VCDS/VAG-COM to assist with swapping in the S4 cluster if you go that route.

maxiz1
06-15-2017, 05:17 PM
Yes I do have Vcds. I think you are right. The frustrating part was prior to this there was a failure on the signal to ECU. Now after I've replaced with a new CTS it happened on the cluster signal. I wonder what kind of parts quality they sell nowadays.

down_n_dapper
06-15-2017, 11:00 PM
You're going to struggle to start the car if you don't adapt the new one to your immo code. The immobilizer code must be the same between cluster and ECU.

Sent from my ZTE A2017G using Audizine mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87676)

maxiz1
06-16-2017, 12:22 AM
I have a local shop that can do wonders with adapting the new keys to immo, deleting old keys, etc. My concern in more of whether I'm able to use the immo function with the new S4 cluster. This is because from what I understand the US market does not have the inbuilt immo inside it. Is it true?

down_n_dapper
06-16-2017, 06:05 AM
I have a local shop that can do wonders with adapting the new keys to immo, deleting old keys, etc. My concern in more of whether I'm able to use the immo function with the new S4 cluster. This is because from what I understand the US market does not have the inbuilt immo inside it. Is it true?

This is true. I'm in australia and we have Immo so I'm on board. You need to give specifics on your old cluster and the new, what year is your car and original cluster?

MetalMan
06-16-2017, 07:47 AM
Yes I do have Vcds. I think you are right. The frustrating part was prior to this there was a failure on the signal to ECU. Now after I've replaced with a new CTS it happened on the cluster signal. I wonder what kind of parts quality they sell nowadays.

Which brand of CTS are you using? If not Genuine, it is highly recommended to use a Genuine Audi part for the CTS.

seanf86
06-16-2017, 10:49 AM
Which brand of CTS are you using? If not Genuine, it is highly recommended to use a Genuine Audi part for the CTS.

This ^^^ I only buy dealer CTS now because I've had trouble with 2 different aftermarket CTS from 2 different manufacturers.