PDA

View Full Version : to part-out or not to part-out?

audi49
06-05-2017, 01:23 PM
I have a banged-up but operational A4 for sale right now. Not getting much interest. And I really don't want to just give it away.

https://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/6145246822.html

For those that have done it, it is 'worth' parting-out? 'Worth' meaning the $$ one gets and the time it takes to disassemble stuff and ship, etc? Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks!

seanf86
06-05-2017, 02:54 PM
I find its only worth it if there is something on the car you want to keep. example, bought a B5 A4 with S4 interior and body parts just for the front bumper and wheels, sold the rest. Got my money back and maybe a little more and "free" front bumper. B6 S4 avant I parted with a friend, was his old car that was total loss by insurance, he wanted the exhaust and I wanted the coilovers, wheels, brakes and interior bits. Sold the rest, came out even and "free" parts. 2 years later we're still finding stuff we pulled from that car.

Thats the only situation I'd part out the car, have you thought about hitting the rear quarter with some rubbing compound and trying to straighten it out and buying a new drivers door and hood, it would look pretty nice then and you can probably ask $2500

audi49
06-05-2017, 05:58 PM
have you thought about hitting the rear quarter with some rubbing compound and trying to straighten it out and buying a new drivers door and hood, it would look pretty nice then and you can probably ask $2500

Thanks for the feedback. I've thought about doing that and keeping it (for my son). However between the cost of that (and the time)... decided to just sell and get a few bucks for it. Thanks again.

Cactus Avant
06-05-2017, 07:38 PM
Parting out is a pretty lengthy process to be honest. I agree, unless there are some parts you want to keep, or some parts that will make some decent money quickly, its probably not worth parting out honestly. Unfortunately B5s aren't worth as much as they used to be, so parts aren't worth a lot either. Especially pre-facelift parts. Looks like your car has some pretty common parts, so it shouldn't be hard to find a couple nice pieces for it. a silver hood and silver door for example are typically pretty easy to find for cheap. So it might be worth fixing up a little and keeping, or selling after that.

The unfortunate truth is, its hard to find enough interest in a prefacelift, silver-on-tan B5 part out these days. I parted out a prefacelift cactus green-on-terra cotta a couple years ago, and I wasn't even able to sell a lot (given, I took a lot of the interior lol)

LA4
06-06-2017, 07:42 AM
I find its only worth it if there is something on the car you want to keep. example, bought a B5 A4 with S4 interior and body parts just for the front bumper and wheels, sold the rest. Got my money back and maybe a little more and "free" front bumper. B6 S4 avant I parted with a friend, was his old car that was total loss by insurance, he wanted the exhaust and I wanted the coilovers, wheels, brakes and interior bits. Sold the rest, came out even and "free" parts. 2 years later we're still finding stuff we pulled from that car.

This has been my experience. Bought parts car for the good body panels. Sold rest to make up the money paid for the car.

Parting out to make money is definitely possible. However, the car should be purchased really low. Given the choice between selling the car as a whole to get ~$1500 (which is the situation you're in now) versus parting it out and getting $2000, I would sell the whole car every day. Parting out will take a lot of time. Time to disassemble, time to list, time to spend dealing with buyers, etc. It is not worth the extra $500 or so that you would obtain (in my opinion.)

If this were a non-running car that would fetch $250 at a scrapyard vs $1500 in a partout, it would be a different story.