PDA

View Full Version : Running APR K03 programming with a K04...

badassbaldie
12-24-2005, 05:09 PM
Here's my Dilemma:

I think my ECU went out on me. Thought it was the fuel pump and/or relay. We tested the pump and it was OK. Replaced the relay and it still died. Disconnected and REconnected the ECU and it worked for a day. Well, the car just went down again today. I had several people tell me it might be the ecu.

Found an APR chipped ECU with a tip chip but it is K03 programming and I have a K04. WHAT AFFECTS (PERFORMANCE/RELIABLITY) WILL THIS HAVE ON MY K04?

If I have to get a new ECU, my first choice is GIAC since I eventually want to go with pc-16 setup. Price on this ECU seems to be decent so that's why I am considering it. I just want a setup for the time being until I can spend the extra cash.

Thanks for the help.

$teady$upreme
12-24-2005, 06:13 PM
using a K03 program won't give u the maximum performance out of a K04 i guess~

a4rings
12-24-2005, 08:06 PM
DON"T DO IT, some guy here on Audizine just recently blew his engine after a week of driving a ko4 on ko3 programming.

Poopie
12-24-2005, 08:21 PM
i think it blew a day before he was going to upgrade his software. Pay for the software just to be safe

TJHUB
12-24-2005, 10:13 PM
I doubt you'll damage your car running K03 software on a K04 turbo. I did it for about 3-4 weeks. It's really not recommended because it'll cause your car to run lean. If you don't beat on the car and stay away from high rpm, you should be fine temporarily.

I ran my car pretty hard those 3-4 weeks with K03 GIAC software. The car was a monster compared to my old K03 turbo. It may have been a case of "lean is mean". The car does not feel faster with K04 software. It seems pretty much the same, but I don't have to worry about taking out the motor because it may be running lean.

If you can, get the K04 software. You're always better off playing it safe.

BTW: No ECU has a Tip chip in it. That's the TCU that gets the Tip chip. Did you mean the ECU is for a Tip tranny?

Aliel
12-25-2005, 03:15 AM
That would be me the guy that blew his motor... I runned my K04 in dahlback k03 programming and I was gonna get th PC-16 on monday and my engine blew sunday 4 am in the morning. Run the correct software with the K04 cuz you wont have a warranty that your enigne will last. When my engine blew I was doing 40 mph in third gear at around 3000 rpm so no high rpm at all. Just be safe man.

badassbaldie
12-25-2005, 09:06 AM
Well, I disconnected and reconnected the ECU and it is running again. THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS!!! Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

BTW: No ECU has a Tip chip in it. That's the TCU that gets the Tip chip. Did you mean the ECU is for a Tip tranny?

Yes, that's what I meant. The ECU is programmed for a tip. (Forgive me for I was at work typing the original thread.) My car already has a tip chip, or so I was told by the previous owner. I don't know what kind it is though. I'm assuming it is the same programming as my ECU - Wetterhauer. Am I able to use the tip chip with let's say, GIAC?

Is there anyone out there that wants to sell a GIAC chipped ECU for a Tip? I'd prefer K04 programming but I will settle on k03 if I have to. I can always get it flashed. I'd also consider just a stock ECU if someone has it lying around.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

badassbaldie
12-25-2005, 09:53 AM
Also, is there any APR programming that I can run with a K04?

alen
12-25-2005, 10:50 AM
no there is not. i'd wait and stalk the classifieds here and on AW for a GIAC ECU, k03 or k04.

badassbaldie
12-25-2005, 10:56 AM
no there is not. i'd wait and stalk the classifieds here and on AW for a GIAC ECU, k03 or k04.

I hear you there bro, the only problem is that my car isn't running now and I need it for a daily driver. I do have a Honda Ridgeline but it's a lease and I don't want to rack up the miles. Not to mention the gas milege isn't anything like the A4. 80 miles each day tends to take a toll...

bitterchild
12-25-2005, 11:29 AM
I've got stockers

badassbaldie
12-25-2005, 11:38 AM
I PMed you bitter...