PDA

View Full Version : Questions about buying 97 B5 A4

modfan61
05-22-2017, 04:39 PM
Hey all, as the title suggests, I'm looking to buy a 97 A4. Car has the 2.8 and 5 speed, high mileage though, 192k.

I had an 01 C5 with the 4.2 but the trans blew, and dont have the time to do a 6speed swap in it. Sold the car last week..

Is there anything specific I should look for chassis/body wise. Did the B5 chassis have the same water drainage issues as the C5?

What else should I look for?

Mattr567
05-22-2017, 05:15 PM
I'd steer clear of >98.5 unless its like a really rare color or something. With the high mileage a lot is probably gonna be worn out. I'd look for a 1.8T also.

KSEADUB
05-22-2017, 06:11 PM
192k is less than 10k a year, so its not really high miles. The V6 has its issues (timing belt, oil seals, pcv system etc) but they can run forever if you've diligent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

modfan61
05-22-2017, 06:22 PM
192k is less than 10k a year, so its not really high miles
True, when you look at it that way..

The guy is being stationed overseas and really wants to sell the car first, so I think I can get a good deal on it. I'm not worried about drivetrain so much as I am with similar issues that it may have as my A6 I had...

king84
05-22-2017, 06:38 PM
My car started off as a 97 A4 12v V6 Quattro, 5-Speed. There's not much of anything you can do to the 12v engine in terms of aftermarket, but if you take care of the engine, it can go a long way.

Whatever you decide, make sure you're happy with whatever you want.

KSEADUB
05-22-2017, 10:59 PM
True, when you look at it that way..

The guy is being stationed overseas and really wants to sell the car first, so I think I can get a good deal on it. I'm not worried about drivetrain so much as I am with similar issues that it may have as my A6 I had...

Ah yes. Sorry, you did mention that. What specifically did you run into on the A6? The b5 has some drain issues if you let the vents under the battery tray clog up. Keep em clean and it shouldn't be a problem. Ive also heard of leaky sunroof drains drowning the TCM in the passenger footwell, but since its a manual, you shouldn't have to worry about that.

modfan61
05-23-2017, 03:09 AM
king84, I thought it was a 30v, and the earlier 2.8s were 12v? We'll see when I look at it tonight

What specifically did you run into on the A6?
I never had issues with the drains under the batteries, or even the sunroof drains. The housing for the cabin air filter was a terrible design, and the gasket underneath was junk so if the car was parked at the right angle, the water couldn't drain, and after taking a corner... *splash*. Being a 5spd I still don't need to worry about cooking the computer, but no one likes water in the cabin!! [o_o]

KSEADUB
05-23-2017, 10:59 PM
Hehe. Very true.

modfan61
05-24-2017, 03:11 AM
Well, the deal didn't go very well... he was looking for someone that didn't know what they were looking at.. Met with the guy yesterday, got out of my car, I smell oil already, and suspected valve cover leak. D/S this time. He said it was because he spilled some oil putting some in yesterday. How do you spill oil on the other end of the engine when the cap is on the P/S valve cover???[confused].. he said he had to put some coolant in. Great, then I knew it was losing coolant somewhere (and he looked like the kind of guy that would throw whatever he could find in it). Besides that, there was numerous issues with the body that weren't seeable in the posting so I didn't even drive the car