PDA

View Full Version : Low power going up hills?

SN95Audi87
05-19-2017, 09:51 AM
Hey guys,

I haven't posted here in a while, quite a few things happened over the course of a year. I got the ZF transmission refreshed and new borg warner k03 turbo with all new supporting hardware [wrench]. Right now I have about 5-6k on new parts and everything is trucking a long. My latest issue with the car is that every once in a while I lose a bit of power going up hills between 1000-2500rpms, then when it gets past that it pulls decently. Tune up wise I have new cops, spark plugs, oil cap gasket, prv, new air filter, and I am still waiting to put in my pcv under the manifold. The car has slight variation in the idle with load between 900-950rpms at a traffic light stopped, it doesn't do it all the time. I do however have (3) pending codes which consist of SAI injection, Bank 1 sensor 2: no activity and bank 1 sensor 2: intermittent with a 034 motorsport o2 plug extender for my HF 034 motorsport catalytic converter. Other than that there really isn't anything out of the norm on this car. The car drives decent 90% of the time but that 10% is a PITA drives me crazy sometimes...

Nathanael

SN95Audi87
05-19-2017, 12:38 PM
Anyone?

MetalMan
05-19-2017, 01:13 PM
Which SAI code do you have? There could be a tear in a SAI line that's causing the fault, and is also acting as a vacuum leak causing your low-RPM low-power issue.

Have you performed a boost leak test?

Also with your O2 sensor codes, sounds like you may simply need to replace the secondary O2 sensor. For a while I had similar code(s) and replacing that sensor fixed it.

TheRedGlacier
05-21-2017, 07:48 AM
Since nobody else has said it.. part out.

SN95Audi87
05-21-2017, 06:14 PM
Which SAI code do you have? There could be a tear in a SAI line that's causing the fault, and is also acting as a vacuum leak causing your low-RPM low-power issue.

Have you performed a boost leak test?

Also with your O2 sensor codes, sounds like you may simply need to replace the secondary O2 sensor. For a while I had similar code(s) and replacing that sensor fixed it.

Thanks! This could be a clue why I could never chase down my vac leaks. Now that I think of it, the pump turns on but it struggles to maintain a constant rpm at 1500. It will bounce from 1450-1475-1500-1400, then when the song and dance is over it idles normally.

Does the rear o2 sensor control gas mileage? My city mileage is bad, but my highway mileage is great. I think half of my problems are o2 sensor related.

Lastly, I have not done any test for boost leaks. I really wouldn't know where to start.

Since nobody else has said it.. part out.

I'm gonna drive this car until it can't go anymore. Then I will part out lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davdraco1
05-21-2017, 08:23 PM
To my understanding, rear o2 is only for catalyst Efficency. I could be completely wrong, but I have mine coded out and still maintain normal MPG. Now when my primary o2 was malfunctioning, I figured it out to be about 25% less until it was completely shot and I replaced it. Your issue only dealing with hill is odd. It's not like our cars have rake sensors so the hill shouldn't matter. You putting more load on the engine seems to be the issue. Make a boost leak tester, parts can be had from a hardware store for under 10$, just need acces to compressed air. I would start there. I would also re amend getting VCSD lite. It's free and you can get the wire needed in amazon for under 20$ and prime shipping. That's the o my way I found my bad 02. My car was reading dead rich so it was pulling fuel and my car wouldn't run. Hopefully this would help.

SN95Audi87
05-22-2017, 12:16 PM
To my understanding, rear o2 is only for catalyst Efficency. I could be completely wrong, but I have mine coded out and still maintain normal MPG. Now when my primary o2 was malfunctioning, I figured it out to be about 25% less until it was completely shot and I replaced it. Your issue only dealing with hill is odd. It's not like our cars have rake sensors so the hill shouldn't matter. You putting more load on the engine seems to be the issue. Make a boost leak tester, parts can be had from a hardware store for under 10$, just need acces to compressed air. I would start there. I would also re amend getting VCSD lite. It's free and you can get the wire needed in amazon for under 20$ and prime shipping. That's the o my way I found my bad 02. My car was reading dead rich so it was pulling fuel and my car wouldn't run. Hopefully this would help.

Yeah, I have noticed that when I go up a hill after long drive sometimes that it will feel lazy then pick up the pace. Thanks for the recommendations. I will see what needs to be done to test for boost leaks. I still have my suspicions about the rear o2 sensor, it is orginal and I never replaced it. I only replaced the primary a few years back.

Davdraco1
05-22-2017, 12:53 PM
I've bought aftermarket primary o2 and had them last a few months. If you get them get a Bosch

SN95Audi87
05-22-2017, 01:22 PM
I've bought aftermarket primary o2 and had them last a few months. If you get them get a Bosch

I actually bite the bullet and get OEM. So far, so good!

Davdraco1
05-22-2017, 04:27 PM
Isn't Bosch oem?