PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for turbo build

cwatson427
05-17-2017, 06:51 PM
Hey guys I'm looking for some advice on upgrading my stock turbo. Now my stock k03 is blown and I bought a holset hx30 along with a spa manifold and custom intake mani. Now I'm trying to put it on and get it running and do alot of mod upgrades as I go so my questions are.....I plan on putting on a intercooler too so what I was wondering is do I definitely need to upgrade the injectors and fuel pump at the time of the build or can I do it after I get it all bolted up and running? Also I have a stage 1/2 tune so another thing I was wondering would that work with the upgraded turbo? Pretty much I'm trying to just install the turbo/intercooler and upgraded intake mani but is that possible to do without upgrading injectors and fuel pump and will it be ok with the tune that's been already done? I have aftermarlet exhaust already. So pretty much I was wondering if I could bolt on what I got and if it would be alright till I do the other mods? This is my first turbo car and build and I'm just learning as I go. I do all the work on my cars but my previous car was a civic so I'm just learning about turbo's as I go. Any help/advice would be HUGELY APPRECIATED! Car is a b5 2001 a4

macwithdacheese
05-17-2017, 07:04 PM
Hi man,you will need another tune your turbo has quite a difference with the k03..upgraded injectors to but no pump required if you dont pass the 350hp..i also recommend getting new rods or set your turbo to a lower PSI to be safe for your engine.

Rodgman15
05-17-2017, 08:20 PM
Oh boy. You need to do some research, and I mean no offense by that.

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/1-8t-turbo-upgrade-information-93439/

Read this, word for word. Then, check back in here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

vrmm
05-18-2017, 07:03 AM
I have never been a fan of rodgmans post/link. It's full of good info that is, NECESSESARY, but it's one guys opinion I've learned. You're more than welcome to gt30 on like 4 pounds and not have issues as far as blowing up goes.. At least I wouldn't think.

Keep your fuel pump. 630cc injectors at least (I sold mine on cg for 60$) you'll need top hats. I'd personally go 1300 modified bosch. But... I always planned to go bigger. No drive ability issues. The top mount spa will fit am Hx35 and beyond that I'm not sure. Twin scroll will drop high boost by at least 500rpms. You can use a rubber drain line and a 10$ ebay barbed adapter to fit your pan 4an oil feel or whatever the manufacturer recommends. DO NOT SPEND 300+ on a down pipe. I'm still really bitter towards 034 for that. Never fit. Huge rip off. 2.5" piping for intercooler is good to go. Treadstone something or other is what lots use around here.

Idk.. I don't know if that is even what you're asking for, but it's what you're getting. I'd go 76r hands down, but that's once again my opinion. Technically I'd go Hx35 with rods no need for pistons.

vrmm
05-18-2017, 07:04 AM
You should do everything else first, but you should be fine running a few psi till you "get everything else"

thedanplasse
05-18-2017, 07:22 AM
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/187836-So-you-want-to-build-your-engine-A-Complete-Newb-Writeup

Read this. If you want to upgrade, but don't want to do a full build, I'd do a simple FT, or ko4. Maybe an off the shelf 630cc uni tune.

cwatson427
05-18-2017, 12:11 PM
Hey guys I wanna thank each of you who responded. Now I already have the vband downpipe for the holset hx30. So I have the turbo, spa mani, bigger intake mani, turbonetics wastegate,downpipe and exhaust. I bought the kit off a fellow b5 owner and he told me it was pretty much plug and play and ready to go. The tune is pushing 17 psI that was already done to the car by the previous owner. I'm trying to do it myself and learn as I go as I have with the shit load of repairs I've done myself on my cars but I'm just not familiar with turbos and just starting out. But I wasn't sure if changing the injectors and intake manifold to a bigger one will that screw anything up with the tune that's already been done? I bought the kit for around 1k and I've been waiting to do it for almost a year as this car is my daily to get to work everyday. I read that write up on the turbo guide but those were garret turbos. So vrmm you think 630cc are ones to go with? I'm just trying to learn as I go and get familiar with everything. Guess the best way to learn is hands on but I don't want to screw anything up and I don't wanna pay to have it done because I am eger to learn.

thedanplasse
05-18-2017, 12:24 PM
You have to find a tune that will work with what you want out of the car. The tune will determine what injectors, maf ect ect you need to get.

cwatson427
05-18-2017, 03:46 PM
Thanks that's what I was planning but my hole thing is I have a blown stock k03, so my question was can I put the holset turbo, bigger intake than stock, intercooler and run it safely and conservatively with the tune I already have and not get the full potential till I get around to change the injectors and tune? Is that ok/possible? So that was my problem. I'm just new to this and wasn't sure if I could change intake and turbo and just run it with the tune it has and then get the tune, injectors, maf, fuel pump (if it needed) and whatever else. It's my daily and work crazy hours so I waneed to see if I could take out blown turbo, install new one, install intercooler and have it running ok and go from there? I'll say it again too I really appreciate all the help cause it's honestly a hopeless feeling having the new turbo, all the money I need for whatever parts but lack the knowledge to know about how the tune goes when upgrading intake and turbo. I could pay a shop but I really wanna try to do it and learn. Thanks. Just trying to get it installed and running then do whatever mods to reach full potential. Fiqured underpowered would still pull harder then the ko3. Is it possible?

Bordom
05-18-2017, 08:46 PM
Stay out of boost and you'll be fine.

If not, you can play the lottery and find out if you'll win the "Windowed Block" jackpot, or find out your little 1.8T is being a brat and rage quitting by melting all its pistons.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

now2ai8
05-19-2017, 04:57 AM
Don't do it. You will blow your motor at 17 psi with that turbo. The stock injectors are barely able to hand a stock k03 at 17psi. Sure, you can technically slap on that turbo and TRY to stay off boost. But, all it takes is a single heavy foot and there goes your motor.

This setup is going to require a new tune. No way around it. Grab large injectors to leave yourself room for upgrade. I recommend 1000cc just in case you want to run e85 in the future or a larger turbo. That way, you only need one tune with future turbo upgrades. Motoza is pretty good. They do remote tuning to your specifications for around $600. Or you can grab eurodyne maestro 7 and tune yourself. But that requires some knowledge on tuning.

BUT, there is a half ass way to run the setup you have temporarily. You can run off a low wastegate psi. You can adjust the internal wastegate actuator to crack open at 5 psi. Then, just unplug the n75 electronic connector to force the ecu to run at the wastegate psi. Of course, you'll want a boost gauge to make sure everything is working as intended.

But if you want my opinion, your daily driver shouldn't be messed with. It is too important. Too many things can and will go wrong when you mod shit.

Rodgman15
05-19-2017, 05:32 AM
Don't do it. You will blow your motor at 17 psi with that turbo. The stock injectors are barely able to hand a stock k03 at 17psi. Sure, you can technically slap on that turbo and TRY to stay off boost. But, all it takes is a single heavy foot and there goes your motor.

This setup is going to require a new tune. No way around it. Grab large injectors to leave yourself room for upgrade. I recommend 1000cc just in case you want to run e85 in the future or a larger turbo. That way, you only need one tune with future turbo upgrades. Motoza is pretty good. They do remote tuning to your specifications for around $600. Or you can grab eurodyne maestro 7 and tune yourself. But that requires some knowledge on tuning.

BUT, there is a half ass way to run the setup you have temporarily. You can run off a low wastegate psi. You can adjust the internal wastegate actuator to crack open at 5 psi. Then, just unplug the n75 electronic connector to force the ecu to run at the wastegate psi. Of course, you'll want a boost gauge to make sure everything is working as intended.

But if you want my opinion, your daily driver shouldn't be messed with. It is too important. Too many things can and will go wrong when you mod shit.

^^^THIS. I wouldn't even attempt wastegate pressure on that turbo with that setup. Do it right or pay the price!

GOODBYNAAIR
05-19-2017, 07:09 AM

OP has an 01 car so flash tuning is the way to go! I have Motoza running my GT2860rs and have had 0 problems with my tune! I will also say that Dave is great to work with, If you email him he can tell you what you Need injectors maf ect ect based off what your trying to do with the turbo you have.
Side note : as said above if you don't want to get into rods and all that maybe something like a FT would work better?

http://motozaperformance.com/MotozaPS.html

my $0.02 good luck