PDA

View Full Version : V8 swap pro or supercharger?

JuggernautB5
05-13-2017, 02:37 AM
so I picked up a v8 swaped A4 (02 S6 4.2) for a pretty goof price, runs an drives amazing just wanted to see if anyone whos done the swap and wants more power and if so what have you found? I've been looking at the PES Supercharger (S6) it looks like it would fit perfectly under the hood the only thing I would have to do is remove my hood latch and swap it for some really good hood pins ( ive seen what happens with the cheap ones ) and then I was also looking at the JHM Procharger for the 4.2 S6 and All-Road, It looks like it might work but then again the S6 and all road are a bit wider than the b5 A4 so I don't think it would fit like its supposed to. just trying to get some feed back I love the V8 its awesome an fun to drive but sometimes it just doesn't feel like it has enough nut so looking to add some ponies under the hood

Nollywood
05-13-2017, 03:13 AM
I would go the turbocharged route, single would be easier, too.

pee quu
05-13-2017, 05:00 AM
Keeping everything cool would be more of my concern. V8 swaps like to run on the warm side, I know my does. Which v8 do you have? base, s6 or s8? the 2 motors would be the better ones to boost since they have forged internals .

Nollywood
05-13-2017, 06:46 AM
The regular 4.2 V8 40V has the same crank, and rods as the S6/S8. Part numbers are the same. The only major bottom end differences are the pistons.

It's actually easier, and more reliable to boost the non-S engines, due to the slightly lower compression ratio.

JuggernautB5
05-13-2017, 11:47 AM
Its a 02 S6 4.2 40v and I haven't started beating on it yet so not too sure how warm it runs, and I was only thinking the PES cause it's essential all there all I need to do it put it on an get tuned, a single turbo wouldn't be bad but seems like a lot of custom work would be involved and then running the intercooler and all that good stuff, but the car runs an drives amazing just need to get a proper exhaust on it before I go deaf from straight pipes

pee quu
05-15-2017, 05:00 AM
If I came across a PES core for cheap Id snag it and run low boost. I think I would lean more supercharger than turbo personally

JuggernautB5
05-15-2017, 05:26 AM
Yea gonna keep my eyes open for one rather than buying one brand new which is an arms and a leg

pee quu
05-15-2017, 09:30 AM
Can you still get them new? I thought something happened with the company that needed up with them not offering the kits anymore. If you or anyone you know is handy with fab work you could always make one. I know a lot of people on the forums who have sourced cores and made custom intake manifolds for them. one or two of the guys didn't even tune the motors, they made the units slapped them on and off they went.

BonusParts
05-15-2017, 10:32 AM
PES still makes blower kits, tho last i checked the G2 for the 30v is no longer in production. the owner of the company is a local.

I have a G2 on my 98 30v. it runs pretty good.

key notes: pcv system is TRASH from the factory, so be prepared to revise at a higher frequency once forced induction is applied.

pee quu
05-15-2017, 11:18 AM
motors we are talking about are the 40v 4.2s. As far as PCV goes, just add a catch can

vrmm
05-16-2017, 05:29 PM
If someone says low boost on a turbo, then don't do it ;) I love turbos more than anything, but with a v8 i'd go the path of supercharging if you can tune it. via software or fmu or whatever..

pee quu
05-17-2017, 07:20 AM
Yeah I like the reliability of a super charger too

Fasterd
05-17-2017, 12:06 PM
If someone says low boost on a turbo, then don't do it ;) I love turbos more than anything, but with a v8 i'd go the path of supercharging if you can tune it. via software or fmu or whatever..

why? you realize a supercharger has roughly a 50 percent efficiency against the 60-80% on a compressor... and the fact that supercharging seems to cost more, albeit custom plumbing issues.

PERSONALLY i would utilize a setup similar to the z31 setup on the vg30 (the ORIGINAL 300zx, when Datsun first became Nissan), which employed a single turbo on the drivers side manifold, with a cross pipe meeting up post compressor. you can only make 7lbs imo safely, so wanting the twin makes no sense...the flow required to produce those small charge values don't dictate added cost, you can easily get a 400-500bhp compressor to sing like a champ with 2.1L, remember you need to consider that a gt30 doesn't make full boost until after 4k, but will reach that 7lb mark 500-1000rpms sooner.

vrmm
05-18-2017, 07:16 AM
Maybe it's too early, but I didn't understand a word you just said. I will neither confirm not deny for percentage claims, but sources not via a magazine or thread would be helpful. I'm no sc wizard, but I would bet a kidney they do more than 50%. Even if so, turn that bitch up until you get 100% of what you want. And you have to be joint about plumbing. Wander around the webs for custom builds and where to put the sc is about as hard as it gets. Not to argue.. Just saying. Turbo plumbing is in my opinion a lot harder. Sc you have more none of those issues.

Fasterd
05-18-2017, 08:01 AM
Maybe it's too early, but I didn't understand a word you just said. I will neither confirm not deny for percentage claims, but sources not via a magazine or thread would be helpful. I'm no sc wizard, but I would bet a kidney they do more than 50%. Even if so, turn that bitch up until you get 100% of what you want. And you have to be joint about plumbing. Wander around the webs for custom builds and where to put the sc is about as hard as it gets. Not to argue.. Just saying. Turbo plumbing is in my opinion a lot harder. Sc you have more none of those issues.

turbo plumbing IS way more complicated, hence why i said albeit....meaning besides.....

um magazine? corky bell is the authority on turbo/supercharging so...im gonna bet thats accurate.

dollars against return if you can handle the plumbing turbo for the win.

Nollywood
05-18-2017, 08:35 AM
If you guys are basing your choices on what's easier to fit, then you're going about things the wrong way.

It should be about what's going to produce the most power and torque, and what's the most flexible. From experience, turbocharging is the best option. A supercharger is only worth using, if you're looking to run very conservative boost levels, due to stock CR and no intercooler.

Fasterd
05-18-2017, 01:36 PM
If you guys are basing your choices on what's easier to fit, then you're going about things the wrong way.

It should be about what's going to produce the most power and torque, and what's the most flexible. From experience, turbocharging is the best option. A supercharger is only worth using, if you're looking to run very conservative boost levels, due to stock CR and no intercooler.

i never said a turbo was easier, but rather that it aligns with your postulation that it comes down to superchargers are really only good for low pressure simplicity....otherwise turbos net better gains (and arguably cheaper given the high cost of s/c units)

vrmm
05-19-2017, 06:46 PM
Still a little confused. Supercharging plumbing from my experience will always be easier. Getting it to fit on top of the side of the engine is the only hard part. Power goals are important. I love turbos. I'd only stick with a sc on a b7.

Supercharging in my opinion will be cheaper. 4k at least to turbo to an extent that's worth it. But a used sc from a.... Merc? But a pulley.. Idk. If I buy another b5 that's what I'm doing not. 15k on a turbo to get 500whp. Just have fun. Very opinions. Everyone is just chiming in their own opinion, so all grains of salt. I can fab a twinscroll for you for 500$ which is mostly parts. 630$ used is the way to go. I made around 400hp+ before 1300cc's.

Just know ,you are never getting your money back. So just enjoy it the best you can.

Idk. I've maxed turbo options out for the most part and the one thing I've learned is don't really listen to anyone besides mine hood. Otherwise the forum is littered content gt28r peeps or balls to the wall. My #1 hands down opinion is shoot for the stars from the start. Don't dick around. I spent so much because I always went for more. But if you have it from the start you'll be happy.

Somethingclever youtube channel has 3 of my routes.

To end .just sayin..my opinion too. I'm an open minded guy revolving in realism. Do what your heart desires. You don't have an engine easy to work on.

pee quu
05-22-2017, 05:22 AM
I just like the sound of a v8 with a blower lol

Nollywood
05-22-2017, 06:27 AM
I just like the sound of a v8 with a blower lol

We'll compare notes, videos and time slips, then. Your supercharged V8, vs my BiTurbo V8. [;)]

pee quu
05-22-2017, 11:30 AM
lol, done deal. I personally am not a HUGE big HP number guy so to me the blower is more appealing, seems a little easier to work with tii

BTW finally got the oil cooler mounted. works great!