PDA

View Full Version : 3 inch down pipes 1.8T FWD

B5 Gang
05-03-2017, 05:18 AM
Been little hard finding down pipes that are 3 inch for a FWD 1.8T. I know one of you fellas got one of these bad boys. Help a fellow B5'er out! Thanks guys and gals.

Davdraco1
05-03-2017, 07:07 AM
Are the exhausts not the same between Quattro and frontrak?

MetalMan
05-03-2017, 07:21 AM
The downpipes are different between FWD and Quattro. The hanger location is the largest difference in my experience.

On my FWD I used a Milltek 2.5" downpipe meant for Quattro, and just cut off the hanger. I meant to get a new hanger bracket welded on but never did. Now that same downpipe is on my Quattro, still without the hanger.

Mattr567
05-03-2017, 09:06 AM
The downpipes are different between FWD and Quattro. The hanger location is the largest difference in my experience.

On my FWD I used a Milltek 2.5" downpipe meant for Quattro, and just cut off the hanger. I meant to get a new hanger bracket welded on but never did. Now that same downpipe is on my Quattro, still without the hanger.
Yeah there isn't much in the way of fwd aftermarket downpipes.

I wonder if B5 Passat ones would work.

Sent from my A0001 using Audizine mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87676)

walky_talky20
05-03-2017, 09:37 AM
I ran a Labree downpipe without the bracket connected (using a B3 trans, so it didn't line up) and I had huge problems with the turbo>cat converter gasket and bolts loosening up, and even the manifold>turbo bolts backing out. Basically my turbo was trying to fall out the car. Once I hooked up the downpipe mount, the engine/exhaust movement no longer tranferred all the way up to the turbo and everything stayed tight and right.

Killawife
05-03-2017, 05:38 PM
You can buy one for the quattro, cut the mount, move it to where its supposed to be and weld it back. easy peasy. Dont forget to put some heat resistant paint on or it will rust quickly. I mad my own downpipe by welding a 2,5 " pipe to the decat pipe.

B5 Gang
05-05-2017, 05:15 AM
Sounds good, I just thought they would have made one for our applications. Oh well, sawing and welding it is.