PDA

View Full Version : Question for Santorin A4 owners...

94jedi
12-21-2005, 10:47 AM
Has anyone painted their front rears and sides like every Silver A4 owner does? if so, where did you get the paint from and how much did you get? I'm familiar w/ paintscratch.com and I think they do have Santorin. I was considering doing the whole s4 thing but it's just to damn expensive. I figure I'll just paint it myself and put the extra money into the engine or suspension.

Please post pics if you have them.

salz2135
12-21-2005, 11:22 AM
I have santorin too and I've been looking into the lowers painted. Paintscratch.com is basically all I could find online. If you decide to do it, are you going to get spray cans? or a pint of paint and a power sprayer?

SantorinA41.8T
12-21-2005, 11:38 AM
Well I havent painted my lowers but I was just looking into getting some cans of paint. There is a DIY on the fourtitude for it with some websites for getting paint:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?&id=1983183

Our paint code is: LZ5K/5J
Make sure that when you purchase the paint you purchase the clearcoat as well for our cars "special" color.

Most of the silver owners do it because dupli-color makes a silver that matchs the cars color perfect, so they can get paint anywhere. (Lucky)

I know that this isnt the answer you were looking for but figured it would be some help for people searching.

-Adam

jones3000
12-21-2005, 11:46 AM
I just went to a body shop and told them to put flex additive in the paint. they already knew though. They do alot of bodykits in the area. Total Performance Collision in Allentown, PA. I got everything (sides, rear, and front) done for about $300.

IKE20VA4
12-21-2005, 11:55 AM
Yeah, $300 is a pretty good deal. That's my DIY on Fortitude. It's very simple to do. You just have to be patient, so it takes a while.
Paintscratch.com would be reccommended by me. I've used them before on my galactic blue jetta. Came out nice. Blue was pretty easy.

dparnas
12-21-2005, 11:56 AM
I did it a few years back. Had a bodyshop do it. Anyone can paint match with the paint code. For the sides, I bought the S4 lower door moldings, instead of trying to paint the soft rubber ones on the A4 and that turned out to be more of a pain than it was worth. If you're going to do the sides, either stay all A4, or go all S4 and do the S4 side skirts too. Since I didn't do the S4 side skirst, the S4 lower door moldings didn't fit properly with the A4 end caps, which caused some "issues" that ultimately I resolved, but it was a total PITA. If you do a search on my user id, going back a ways, I posted lots of pictures at the time.

94jedi
12-21-2005, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by dparnas
I did it a few years back. Had a bodyshop do it. Anyone can paint match with the paint code. For the sides, I bought the S4 lower door moldings, instead of trying to paint the soft rubber ones on the A4 and that turned out to be more of a pain than it was worth. If you're going to do the sides, either stay all A4, or go all S4 and do the S4 side skirts too. Since I didn't do the S4 side skirst, the S4 lower door moldings didn't fit properly with the A4 end caps, which caused some "issues" that ultimately I resolved, but it was a total PITA. If you do a search on my user id, going back a ways, I posted lots of pictures at the time.

thanks I'll do a search...

Thanks for all the input guys...

I guess I'd use spray cans since I don't have a power sprayer of any kind. does anyone know if paintscratch sells santorin in spray cans?

salz2135
12-21-2005, 12:38 PM
yup. I think they sell little tiny touch up bottles, spray cans, and pints for compressor spraying.

ed@mtl
12-21-2005, 01:21 PM
Bodyshop painted my sides skirts, rear lower valence and front bumper.

LateraLex
03-27-2006, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by 94jedi

I guess I'd use spray cans since I don't have a power sprayer of any kind. does anyone know if paintscratch sells santorin in spray cans?

Hey man what did you end up doing, and how did it come out? I have an M3 lip spoiler that I'd like to DIY.

MR VTEC
03-27-2006, 08:45 AM
$300 for both bumpers and sides is a good deal especially if they match well

illbill
03-27-2006, 08:49 AM
posted on AW this morning -

http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/2520849.phtml

Has anyone painted their front rears and sides like every Silver A4 owner does? if so, where did you get the paint from and how much did you get? I'm familiar w/ paintscratch.com and I think they do have Santorin. I was considering doing the whole s4 thing but it's just to damn expensive. I figure I'll just paint it myself and put the extra money into the engine or suspension.

Please post pics if you have them.

LateraLex
03-27-2006, 08:52 AM
Wow... thats DIY? Very nice [up]

94jedi
03-27-2006, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by LateraLex
Hey man what did you end up doing, and how did it come out? I have an M3 lip spoiler that I'd like to DIY.
as usual, my lazy ass hasn't done squat. lol. I'd like to do a m3 lip too.

awahl63
03-27-2006, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by illbill
posted on AW this morning -

http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/2520849.phtml
where'd ya get the sparco pedals and how much...nice job i'm feeling the bbk

boostedup
03-27-2006, 09:27 AM
im curious too, but all i've found is paintscratch.com. Wish there was somewhere local i'd probably already have it done.

Once i get my chip and DV done this week i think im gonna order the paint. I have a gravity fed gun, what amount of paint and clear coat do u guys think i'll need??

illbill
03-27-2006, 09:32 AM
that's not my car

Originally posted by awahl63
where'd ya get the sparco pedals and how much...nice job i'm feeling the bbk

SeanF
03-27-2006, 09:37 AM
well, they say it takes 6 ounces per side... (i think...)

i dont get why the pints are so expensive when they arent much bigger than the spray cans...

LateraLex
03-27-2006, 10:33 AM
as usual, my lazy ass hasn't done squat. lol. I'd like to do a m3 lip too.

Planning any trips to Boston? [;)]

Poopie
03-29-2006, 04:14 PM
I have used paintscratch paint and it matches PERFECTLY. Can't even tell where I painted. I used the can. I'm gonna put in another order to paint my lowers. Its not a priority because I just looked at the pics and they don't make that much of a differnce. Maybe befores and afters would help.