PDA

View Full Version : 1998 B5 fwd Avant w/ Royal Blue interior

Marcus.M26
04-30-2017, 06:12 PM
Hello everyone,

I have recently come across a 1998 2.8 b5 avant with the royal blue ecru interior and 141k miles.
I was initially confused because i thought all avants sold in the US were quattro (apparently this started in 99 though(?)).

Mostly I was wondering what the rarity of this car would be?
mostly because I do not know how many b5's had royal blue interior, let alone avants. beyond that I do not know how many avants are event fwd.
Are there any benefits to a fwd avant as well? i figure with the v6 and less weight that could be fun. My current car has quattro and I love it so much as well, and I always say to myself that it would be pointless to have a fronttrak audi.

Thank you in advance for all of the feedback and/or discussion. :)

-Marcus

Mattr567
04-30-2017, 08:46 PM
That sure is weird, but fwd avants do exist yes. Avants did start in '98 not '99.

fwd = faster in a straight line with more power to the ground and less weight, with the bonus of better fuel economy. If you live where I live (socal) where it rains rarely and doesn't snow, fwd is just fine. Quattro has its own set of benefits of course.

Is it a manual?

Marcus.M26
04-30-2017, 09:34 PM
It's a tip. It's also $1500.

How rare do you think this combination would be though?

Mattr567
04-30-2017, 09:50 PM
It's a tip. It's also $1500.

How rare do you think this combination would be though?

I would call it quite rare for sure. What exterior color?

Marcus.M26
04-30-2017, 10:04 PM
The exterior is white, i am pretty sure a pearl white. my money would be on magnolia (if i remember the color names correctly) but i am not 100% sure.

b5a4erik
04-30-2017, 11:10 PM
*faster in a straight line from a rolling start

said as a proud owner of a frontrack.

Mattr567
04-30-2017, 11:25 PM
*faster in a straight line from a rolling start

said as a proud owner of a frontrack.
Yeah that too.

Also proud owner of fronttrack :)

Sent from my A0001 using Audizine mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87676)

walky_talky20
05-01-2017, 07:02 AM
I always wondered how many parts were specific to the FWD Avant. Perhaps the gas tank.

Marcus.M26
05-01-2017, 10:04 AM
would the handling be noticeably different between fronttrak and quattro in a dry place on a regular day?

b5a4erik
05-04-2017, 01:14 PM
would the handling be noticeably different between fronttrak and quattro in a dry place on a regular day?

I say, yes. Just the standard difference in feel between fwd and awd... car gets pulled instead of pulled and pushed. Still as effective generally in those conditions though.

TheRedGlacier
05-04-2017, 05:13 PM
The quattro has full IRS, somebody with a FWD, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the FWD only has like a semi IRS/torsion bar combination. If this is true, stock for stock, quattro would be a much better handling car.

quattro- Better launching abilities, more durable 5 speed manual (however I see you said that one has a Tiptronic, I don't know if there is a difference in the FWD tips vs quattro (besides final drive/lack of a rear end). quattro also generally has far more suspension options than the FWD counterparts.

FWD (Fronttrak if you wish to call it that) has less power loss than a quattro, but the tiptronic might even it out a little.. FWD also obviously has the benefit of being a lighter car, which can allow for a very nimble car.

White with Royal Blue would be more rare than not. White is somewhat uncommon, but the blue interior is decently rare, seeing as it was only produced for a couple years. For $1500, as long as the car runs well, and has good maintenance history, I'd say go for it. I got a 2001 manual 1.8T quattro for $1500 a couple years ago, but its also a silver sedan with the onyx interior(pretty much the most common B5 setup out there)

b5a4erik
05-07-2017, 09:31 AM
Seems pretty right to me ^,

speaking of suspension options though, if you do get the FWD and for some reason the suspensions shot, I have my old stock springs laying around that I'd be happy to get rid of for just the price of shipping.

That being said, my car's wearing the classic Bilstein shock + H&R spring combo, which is lower but not too low... handles better as well [up][down]