PDA

View Full Version : T3 T04E Oil Restrictor?

Tanzimur
04-28-2017, 04:33 AM
Hey guys! been running a T3 T04E 60trim setup on my 1.8t, using the supplied pin hole size restrictor that came with the turbo. Long story short im getting oil blown by the seals for sure. Running -4an oil feed to said restrictor, which is literally size of a needle no bigger. And a 10an drain,so its big enough lol. Now this is obviously a journal bearing turbo i hear people say all the time that restrictors are for ball bearing turbos. Or engines that produce hi oil press. need them as well which is kind of a dumb question but which is true?

Just trying to stop blowing smoke on wot apps, and take offs or anything else having to do with smoking while driving the car lol.

Tanzimur
05-04-2017, 06:54 PM
Bump!?!?

Seerlah
05-05-2017, 02:13 PM
Our vehicles have higher oil pressure then most other vehicles. So even with the oil restrictor, the oil pressure still forces the oil through the orifice pretty extreme. Like...80+psi at WOT extreme. Depending on what brand turbo, some handle it better than others.

For example, I had to step down to a -3an oil feed line to reduce pressure. Along with that, run two different restrictors on my ball bearing Comp Turbo. What brand turbo you have?

Tanzimur
06-06-2017, 03:27 PM
Wow thats extreme haha, but i have a 60 cold and .63 ar hot Cxracing t3 t04e, and beleive me i know china crap but ye. I installed a .065 and the smoking an oil consumption went down but i still get a nice cloud taking off and an even bigger one after i just got done doing a wot pull. Whats next lol. What do people run for a restrictorless line? just -4an fitting?

Tanzimur
06-10-2017, 07:59 PM
bump? would crankcase being vented to atmosphere and not having vaccum cause this?

Rodgman15
06-10-2017, 08:42 PM
Weird. I run a straight -4an with no restrictor on my Holset and it works great, no smoking. Sure the turbo is ok?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Believer
06-11-2017, 06:49 AM
If you have poor blowby, as in excessive, that could cause high crank pressures with no vacuum on the crank case which in turn effects how oil will drain from the turbo.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Tanzimur
06-11-2017, 03:08 PM
Ye thanks for the replys! and thats what was bothering me lol. I am in the process of reinstalling oem pcv setup but with a catch can as well.

Tanzimur
06-13-2017, 09:42 PM
UPDATE: pcv defiantly helped. didn't see much smoke at all. so confident that i cranked her up to 15psi now im getting a little more back lol. Im starting to think i need to step down to a 3an line should i still run the .030 restrictor that came with the turbo? how big of a difference is a 4an to 3an?

Tanzimur
06-14-2017, 12:30 AM
Our vehicles have higher oil pressure then most other vehicles. So even with the oil restrictor, the oil pressure still forces the oil through the orifice pretty extreme. Like...80+psi at WOT extreme. Depending on what brand turbo, some handle it better than others.

For example, I had to step down to a -3an oil feed line to reduce pressure. Along with that, run two different restrictors on my ball bearing Comp Turbo. What brand turbo you have?

do you remember exactly what restrictor sizes you had to drop down to? perhaps i can try same setup lol thanks seerlah!

Believer
06-14-2017, 06:20 AM
UPDATE: pcv defiantly helped. didn't see much smoke at all. so confident that i cranked her up to 15psi now im getting a little more back lol. Im starting to think i need to step down to a 3an line should i still run the .030 restrictor that came with the turbo? how big of a difference is a 4an to 3an?

-4an is 1/4" hose and -3an is 3/16" hose, so only 1/16" of a difference between.

Tanzimur
06-14-2017, 08:56 AM
Thank you for the clarification beleiver! And how many restrictors is too many lol if seerlahs running 2 on top of 3 an line...

Tanzimur
06-16-2017, 06:52 AM
Thank you for the clarification beleiver! And how many restrictors is too many lol if seerlahs running 2 on top of 3 an line...

Bump? I ordered 3 an line and will running a .030 restrictor from the oil housing and a .030 at the inlet of the turbo be too much restriction?

Believer
06-16-2017, 07:26 AM
Can't really comment on what the appropriate size for oil feed is or what the appropriate restriction is. Reaching out to the manufacturer of your turbo is probably the best bet.

Tanzimur
06-16-2017, 02:55 PM
ye i figured lol. Im still waiting for my man seerlah to answer haha since hes got a similar setup why not!