PDA

View Full Version : Will a manual awm engine mate to a auto tranny?

Quattro420
04-24-2017, 09:15 AM
I have a auto 1.8t awm with bent valves and a running 1.8t awm manual can I use the manual engine in a auto car?

B3trayus
04-24-2017, 09:31 AM
Short answer is yes. You just need to swap ecus, or it'll be Christmas tree city, and/or it will run like crap.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bordom
04-24-2017, 10:08 AM
Short answer is yes. You just need to swap ecus, or it'll be Christmas tree city, and/or it will run like crap.

What? Not at all. An auto crank has the bushing on the end of the crankshaft which is needed for the TC and flex plate to mesh properly.

Also, keep auto ECU's to auto cars and manual ECU's to manual cars. If you put the manual engine in the auto car, then keep the auto ECU

B3trayus
04-24-2017, 10:37 AM
Short answer. I don't know why the other half didn't post. That's my bad. I'll own it. It involved swapping cranks, too.
I've always operated under the "same ecu for same engine rule", so it has never been an issue. Maybe I was confused as to what he was asking.

walky_talky20
04-24-2017, 10:57 AM
If the valves are bent, swap the heads. Done.

Boredom is correct, the manual crankshaft is different and will not work with a torque converter/flex plate. There are methods to go the other way (auto engine bolt to manual gearbox), but what you describe is not practical.

Swapping the cylinder heads is the easiest and best method to repair here. Or just replacing the valves and leaving your manual engine complete (to sell or something).

And on the AWM there is no "manual ECU" or "Automatic ECU". They are identical part numbers. You simply code them to either (A) talk to the trans computer about shift-related things or (B) not...do that.

Quattro420
04-24-2017, 11:32 AM
Ok sweet wat happened is the timing chain sprocket teeth on the exhaust cam is missing all the teeth, the intake cam is off time by quite abit, I have a complet manual motor I wanna use I would assume it's plug and play for most part but was unsure or crank shaft I know you need to grind the crank on an auto to make it work in a manual but was unsure of the other way thanks

walky_talky20
04-24-2017, 01:52 PM
Yeah, there is no grinding trick to go the other way. The torque converter centering bushing is really important in order to not break things terribly. There is no way to put one in a manual crank without significant machining to the crankshaft.

Just swap your cylinder heads and you'll be golden.