PDA

View Full Version : WTF can VCDS-Lite do?

b5a4erik
04-22-2017, 08:54 PM
Happy Earth Day Y'all,

I've searched AZ and explored the software...

Would someone please tell me, in simple terms, what I Can & Cannot do with VCDS lite using an ebay cable?

So far I've found I can auto-scan codes w/o finding out what they represent, and also have found I can use the scope to see my revs live.

[before I get ahead of myself]

I'm looking to diagnose a gnarly boost problem I've been having for a while now, and am wondering if the lite version of VCDS will be able to serve me well enough.

Thanks in advance,

~ea

LINDW4LL
04-22-2017, 08:56 PM
Free VCDS-Lite:

-Cannot do AutoScan
-Won't display text for all fault codes
-No Basic Settings (so no TBA, Xenon leveling, etc or checking timing on TDI's)
-No Adaptation Saving (so no changing of locking/lights/horn behavior)
-No Output Tests
-No tech support from Ross-Tech

Limitations of Fully Registered VCDS-Lite compared to with a genuine Ross-Tech cable:

-No Generic OBD-II
-Won't work with CAN-Bus vehicles
-Fewer fault code definitions and label files
-No built-in Activation (you'll be limited to a single PC)
-No Advanced Measuring Blocks
-No Acceleration Measurement

b5a4erik
04-22-2017, 09:04 PM
Thanks man,

I actually saw that, but when I was able to autoscan, I disregarded that text.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

If I'm looking to diagnose a boost problem, will VCDS-lite or even the registered $99 version be sufficient? (I figure I might need measuring blocks)

LINDW4LL
04-22-2017, 09:09 PM
Gotcha. The $99 license for the registered version will do anything you need. The most important thing is being able to access all measuring blocks (as you mentioned), then being able to set adaptations, reset the service indicator, etc...

b5a4erik
04-22-2017, 09:30 PM
Word. Leaning towards getting that Registered version, thanks LINDW4LL.

Seerlah
04-22-2017, 09:55 PM
AEB has no MAP sensor, so no logging your actual boost vs requested. But you can log duty cycles and fuel corrections, along with MAF readings. If you have a boost issue, first start with a boost leak test. Or explain your boost issue.

Avant Nate
04-23-2017, 12:25 AM
Problem with the registered version is oly good for 2 installs. So if you change hard drives, new laptop, reinstall os, etc., you only get one do over. I did that, and then bought a used cable and I much prefer the cable.