PDA

View Full Version : boost gauge problem

bigcfromcinci
12-19-2005, 09:32 PM
Guys,
I installed my apr vent style gauge the other day & it's like it's not reading right at all.For one,the max it will boost is 7-9psi.It should be holding around 18-20psi.I have the stg3 kit from apr in it.
The only reason I say that is after my FMIC was installed my buddy had it hooked up to a boost gauge & it was holding that every time.
I didn't hook it up to the fpr like some said.I went off the dv instead.
Do you think it could be that TINY (T) fitting that APR sends with their kit?Never seen one so small.

I'm pretty sure nothing is kinked anywhere.I wonder if I got a bad gauge?

Also,if I'm cruising down the highway,it will stay around 17 on the vacuum side all the time...should it be doing that?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

CowboysRock
12-19-2005, 09:43 PM
Even on highway cruising, my gauge hovers around -5 vacuum (GIAC X-chip). This may sound like a stupid question, but is it at zero when the car is off? Believe me, it can be overlooked when first installing it (i know from personal experience). Also, how much vacuum are you at when at idle?

bigcfromcinci
12-19-2005, 09:53 PM
Yes,it's 0 when it's off.
I'm pretty sure the vacuum is around 17 at idle.I'll re-check in the morning to be sure.
That's weird,why would it be 17 @ idle..yet -17 while cruising @ 75 mph.
I think I got a faulty gauge now that you said that about the idling.

Poopie
12-19-2005, 10:14 PM
it should be around -20 idle. and slightly higher cruising

mike-2ptzero
12-19-2005, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by bigcfromcinci
Yes,it's 0 when it's off.
I'm pretty sure the vacuum is around 17 at idle.I'll re-check in the morning to be sure.
That's weird,why would it be 17 @ idle..yet -17 while cruising @ 75 mph.
I think I got a faulty gauge now that you said that about the idling.

It should be around 0 to -10 on the fwy if your trying to hold a steady speed on a flat surface.

Did you put the restrictor part in correctly?

bigcfromcinci
12-20-2005, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by mike-2ptzero
It should be around 0 to -10 on the fwy if your trying to hold a steady speed on a flat surface.

Did you put the restrictor part in correctly?
The part that goes into the back of the gauge?I'm pretty sure I did.I guess I'll take it back apart & make sure nothings kinked.

thanks guys

bigcfromcinci
12-20-2005, 09:29 AM
I hooked it up to the fpr a few minutes ago.This was after talking to a guy at APR.He said since it's a vacuum plus boost gauge,it's mostly reading the vacuum from the dv when it's opening & closing.You think they would have been a little clearer on their instructions.Oh well.
Let's see how it does now.Will report back later.

thanks all!!

mike-2ptzero
12-20-2005, 09:55 AM
I hooked it up to the fpr a few minutes ago.This was after talking to a guy at APR.He said since it's a vacuum plus boost gauge,it's mostly reading the vacuum from the dv when it's opening & closing.You think they would have been a little clearer on their instructions.Oh well.
Let's see how it does now.Will report back later.

thanks all!!

LOL. The line going to the DV has vacuum and pressure since it has to open(vac) and close(pressure) the dv, this is exactly the same thing the line going to the FPR does. Seems that APR should keep that guy away from answering questions on the phone.

Might want to check if the gauge is good. If you have an air compressor, set it to 15psi and put it to the hose going to the gauge. The gauge should also read 15psi, if not then there is something stuck in the line or the gauge is bad.

bigcfromcinci
12-20-2005, 01:14 PM
I hooked it up to the fpr & it works fine now.That's really weird.Wonder why it wouldn't work correctly on the dv line?

It holds around -10 on the fwy now.

mike-2ptzero
12-20-2005, 01:17 PM
I hooked it up to the fpr & it works fine now.That's really weird.Wonder why it wouldn't work correctly on the dv line?

It holds around -10 on the fwy now.

Might be a bad hose to the dv.

bigcfromcinci
12-20-2005, 02:11 PM
I actually like it better going to the fpr..Alot cleaner with ALOT less vacuum hose. ;) I'll replace the hose to the dv to be on the safe side.If that hose was bad,would my car run any different (worse)?

thanks!

nizmosx
12-20-2005, 03:29 PM
if the hose is bad you are more prone to vacume leaks which totally suck. If you just bought that car and have no maintanence records, you might want to take the extra time to just buy yourself some silicon hoses from a random company that sells them, and replace all your hoses. Over time the stock rubber ones tend to crack and create leaks wich leaves you second guessing where your power went. I would also invest a couple extra bucks and either make or buy a vacume tester. I think boostmachine.com sells a nice one for around 35 bucks. You can run that on your car and check for leaks whenever you suspect anything.

bigcfromcinci
12-20-2005, 03:55 PM
thanks nizmosx,
what size hose are most of the common vacuum lines going to the intake or around the intake?
Silicone is better than the rubber?

mike-2ptzero
12-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Silicon or rubber will do. I think you want a 3/16 or 4mm size hose, but its been some time since I had to buy some hoes( I mean hose)[;)]

bigcfromcinci
12-20-2005, 04:25 PM
mmmmm hoes :P

thanks!!

nizmosx
12-20-2005, 04:34 PM
yea you can buy rubber hose at your local auto parts store for around 9-19cents a foot, however for silicon hose, it will cost you rougly a dollar to two dollars a foot. Silicon has been rated to last a lot longer than rubber, and hold up in the long run. I just switched all mine out to silicon and would remain to do this on every single car i own. Specialy when you have a larger turbo under the hood, the heat it creates is far more than your average stock dinky k03

bigcfromcinci
12-20-2005, 04:51 PM
thanks!
I'm going to order some of the black silicone from ECS for 1.79 a ft.
15ft -20ft should cover most of it,don't ya think?

nizmosx
12-20-2005, 05:22 PM
i bought ten feet, and that was plenty, i still have like 4 feet left. but its not bad to have that stuff handy in the garage.

bigcfromcinci
12-20-2005, 08:50 PM
I ordered 10ft from ECS.That should replace most of them.

thanks guys!

SpoolIt
12-29-2005, 12:59 PM
Are you guys just using zip ties or buying new pinch clamps from the dealer? I think I heard somewhere that ties are good upt to a K04. Im in the process of TB change and decided to do all the vacuum hose as well. TIA

mike-2ptzero
12-29-2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by SpoolIt
Are you guys just using zip ties or buying new pinch clamps from the dealer? I think I heard somewhere that ties are good upt to a K04. Im in the process of TB change and decided to do all the vacuum hose as well. TIA

Still using zip ties on my vac lines even with the GT35R and wont be changing them to run 30psi either.

SpoolIt
12-29-2005, 01:12 PM
Excelent!