PDA

View Full Version : Calling Vogtland/Koni Guru's (Installed this weeken ran into problems)

A4orce84
12-19-2005, 09:52 AM
Hey Guys,

Had a few issues installing my Vogtland/Koni's this weekend, thought I'd throw it out there maybe TJHUB or someone can offer any help.

I'll have pictures and things up after I get everything working. But basically Sunday installed the rear's went fairly smoothly. Got to the fronts ran into some trouble...first off wasn't sure how to adjust the Koni's for the fronts. Backs had the little volume adjuster knob that you just moved, while the fronts from what my friend figured out stiffened as you rotated the nut from the top.

Well after getting everything put on and the car back on it's wheels, goign for a short cruise there is a very noticeable creek/thud sound coming from both passenger and drivers side front wheels. We took off the passenger side since it's more noticeable, and took everything apart, remounted it, same sound.....Not sure what exactly is causing it. Driving home on the highway I found the noise to have quieted down, either due to speed or road noise either one...but at speeds less than 40mph...going over bumps you can definitley here some kind of thump. My friend described the sound as his mom's Buick with the bushings going out.

So that's where I am, suspension is on the car, and it feels better...but I'm having these weird thump/thud sounds when I go over bumps coming from the front of the car. Any and I do mean ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mike at PureMS just informed me it could be a bolt at the top of the strut, but I still want to hear other opinions...

--Asif

Starting
12-19-2005, 09:58 AM
Sounds like you didn't tighten the top shock nut enough and it is moving around against the rubber top part.

Starting
12-19-2005, 09:59 AM
You need to fully compress the front shock in order to adjust the rebound.

A4orce84
12-19-2005, 10:16 AM
Are you sure it's probably just that top bolt? Could it possibly be anything else?

imola_Jon
12-19-2005, 10:20 AM
I installed the same setup about a month ago w/ no problems.

Adjusting the fronts is a little tricky to get them set just where you want them. Compress the piston shaft all the way, then slowly tighten the shaft w/ an allen until it sinks about 1/8". Keep the shaft compressed & set your dampening. Take a % of the number of turns from lock to lock to figure out the stiffness. Clockwise=stiffer, counterclock=softer. PMS told me the piston would turn about 2-2.5x, but mine seemed to only go about 1.75x. I just made little points a reference w/ a sharpie to get it as close as I could.

Hope this helps out.

imola_Jon
01-03-2006, 04:05 AM
Did you figure out where the noise was comming from? I was out of town for the weekend & noticed some rattling over big potholes comming from the front. Figured I'd asked, before I tear everything apart again...

Russ D
01-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Starting
Sounds like you didn't tighten the top shock nut enough and it is moving around against the rubber top part.

Exactly.

Same thing happened to me, but just on the passenger side because my air compressor was running low when I tightened the top nut. Next day, took it apart and torqued it on with a fresh full compressor, reassembled and all was quiet again.