PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get an '01 A4 1.8T... Things to look for?

Orchid
12-18-2005, 02:56 AM
Greetings folks. My current car is about ready to be set out to pasture, and since I recently procured a new job, it's time to look into a new car. After weighing my options, I find the 2001 A4 1.8T Quattro gives me the best balance of everything I want for the price I'm willing to pay.

I'll be shopping for and test-driving a car (soon, with a little luck), and I was wondering if there's anything on the A4 that I should pay special attention to when buying.

Secondly, are the stock motors pretty sound for making power? I was thinking I'd do the APR Stage 1 ECU, intake and exhaust, and perhaps eventually a new turbo, FMIC, and injectors. Nothing crazy, just enough to make the daily commute a bit more fun.

Thanks in advance.

LateraLex
12-18-2005, 09:02 AM
There are a few things to look for when buying an A4.

-Press down on each corner of the car - if it squeeks than the control arms are wearing out (common problem)
-If the car has over 60K miles find out if the timing belt/tensioner has been replaced. It probably hasn't and costs about 700 to have it done.
-When driving listen for any creaks
-Check if the dash screen is missing any pixels. This is more expensive to fix than you would think.
-See if cruise control/sunroof works

General things to check:
-Look at the coolant. Is it dirty, or have a film of oil on it?
-Check the oil. Was it filled correctly. Did the owner use synthetic?
-Check all electronics
-Check tire tread (measure with a penny)
-After driving see if any drips develop under the car

And most important: Have a mechanic inspect the vehicle!

goldenchild
12-18-2005, 09:14 AM
and make sure it is a sport and has hids ;)

Quattrocket
12-18-2005, 10:50 AM
also, look for a 99.5. If you're gonna want to modify it then this is the best year to go with because it has most of the upgrades as the 2001 but comes with a drive by cable motor, which is better for making big power as the drive by wire ones have an issue with closing the throttle after the turbo boosts over 19PSI.

recordstyle
12-18-2005, 11:09 AM
be smart about choosing and dont jump into one and "settle" for any issues or flags. (my front bumper was "off" slightly and ended up that the mechanic of the place quick-fixed it to look like it was intact underneath but in fact was just siliconed on in a few spots... (couldnt see it until i started changing the fogs/rs4 mesh)

- the timing belt/water pump/tensioner issue is the most common flag - along with the control arms as was mentioned earlier...

good luck with everything

BranCKY3
12-18-2005, 11:10 AM
2001 would be better with just a chip, if you go GIAC. Also, 2001's are getting a new k04 chip with new injectors and all that. Maybe they won't be shafted for mods anymore.

LateraLex
12-18-2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by BranCKY3
Also, 2001's are getting a new k04 chip with new injectors and all that.

They are? [:)]

R-Dub
12-18-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by LateraLex
They are? [:)]

Sweet, now I have something to look foward to when my K03 sport dies.

GIAC does the software right?

BranCKY3
12-18-2005, 12:03 PM
Yea. Check my thread '2001 k04 / closing throttle' it just got some updates the other day.

SFexBOY
12-18-2005, 03:45 PM
Cam tensioner towards the rear of the engine is prone to failing on the 01s. Mine went at around 70K....start with a chattering, followed by engine knocking.

goldenchild
12-18-2005, 04:23 PM
^^^ is that a sensor or actual component of the internals? also did u get a cell from it?

BranCKY3
12-18-2005, 04:27 PM
It's an actual component.

SFexBOY
12-18-2005, 04:28 PM
actual unit, no sensor. Luckily it was still under warranty, and the dealer swapped it out with a new one. I did get a CEL from it, and really REALLY loud engine ticking/knocking.

SFexBOY
12-18-2005, 04:36 PM
also another recurring issue i've had with my 01.5 is my coilpacks popping up. On the newer B5s, the coilpacks aren't screwed down, and have a tendency to pop up (causing your car to misfire). If you do encounter this problem, make sure your spark plugs are torqued down to spec (22lbs)...and make sure to firmly push the coilpack all the way down into the valve chamber.

BarryT82
12-18-2005, 04:56 PM
Get a quattro also.