PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting my KWs

A4oli
12-16-2005, 02:43 PM
I noticed when adjustingmy KW suspension, that just to raise it a few millimetres I have to torque like a madman, and the components are plastic while the wrench is metal (not too smart) So I don't want to break anything. Why am I having a hell of a time time raising the suspension?
I know there's a composite grease, or oil that I might find useful to lubricate the threads... anyone knowwhat I'm talking about?

I gotta get this suspension up cause it just snowed 40cm and the tires were doing fine, and the quattro too... But the car s just too low, I might as well take advantage of the suspension.

jeremy@matrix
12-22-2005, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by A4oli
I noticed when adjustingmy KW suspension, that just to raise it a few millimetres I have to torque like a madman, and the components are plastic while the wrench is metal (not too smart) So I don't want to break anything. Why am I having a hell of a time time raising the suspension?
I know there's a composite grease, or oil that I might find useful to lubricate the threads... anyone knowwhat I'm talking about?

I gotta get this suspension up cause it just snowed 40cm and the tires were doing fine, and the quattro too... But the car s just too low, I might as well take advantage of the suspension.

While we don't distribute KW products, I know the difficulties you may be having.

First off, do you have all 4 corners on jack stands?

The Koni kits come with a spray lube to help adjust ride height. Before you raise or lower the vehicle, make sure that you take some brake cleaner, carb cleaner, WD-40 or equivalent(WD-40 would work well to help lubricate the threads as well) and spray off any small rocks, dirt, debris, etc, so those don't gunk up the threads. Then lube with the WD-40 and that should help make it a bit easier.

It'll obviously be more difficult to raise the ride height than lower b/c you are compressing the spring.

HTH,
Jeremy

A4oli
12-22-2005, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the help, this time I let my mechanic do it. I know the guys lubed, but aside from that, i didn't witness the job, I think they may have forgotten to loosen the screw that secures the perch.... I hope not though.

jeremy@matrix
12-27-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by A4oli
Thanks for the help, this time I let my mechanic do it. I know the guys lubed, but aside from that, i didn't witness the job, I think they may have forgotten to loosen the screw that secures the perch.... I hope not though.

NP.

onemoremile
03-17-2006, 06:48 PM
i used Boeshield T-9 bicycle chain lube and it really helped. when making large adjustments, it takes longer to adjust them on the car then it does to remove them and adjust them on the workbench.
http://www.boeshield.nl/index_bestanden/index.jpg

A4oli
03-17-2006, 09:04 PM
I guess you noticed its nearly that time of year again!