PDA

View Full Version : Engine Knocking With No Codes

ActiveMonkey
03-26-2017, 03:49 PM
Ok, back story. I had a K03s with the 034 Motorsport Stage 2 tune (91 octane with car delete) and all worked well. I wanted a little more for my daily driver to I picked up and installed a new K04, and off I went to have 034 Install the new TT225 386cc injectors and flash the ECU with their K04 tune.

3.22.17 - 034 Motorsport just installed the new injectors and tune. I got in the car and drove off it felt fantastic! Until it didn't. [facepalm] After less than a few miles it was knocking and leaning out under anything more than light acceleration.

3.23.17 - I call 034 Motorsport and speak with their tech who asks if I can come back in. So I grabbed my work bag and off I went to 034. They found a leaky PCV Valve, pressure tested, and tweaked the tune. I leave 034 Motorsport again and it is working great! Until it didn't. After 20 miles the knocking and leaning out has reemerged as if nothing had been changed. [headbang] I called back and they asked me if I could come in the following day. Sadly my schedule did now allow this.

3.25.17 - Saturday I am scanning the car myself and the engine was throwing p0133 (O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response [Bank 1 Sensor 1]) & p0136 (O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction [Bank 1 Sensor 2]) codes. I go down to the auto parts store and pick up a new Bosche upstream O2 sensor/ A/F Sensor and downstream O2 Sensor. I disconnect battery, install only the upstream sensor, reconnect, etc. POOF!!! Like magic it is running AWESOME! until it didn't. [=(]

3.26.17 - After feeling the knocking and leaning out come back on Saturday evening i am pretty frustrated. I started scanning faults and the engine throws a p0136 (O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction [Bank 1 Sensor 2]). I cleared the code and POOF!! Awesome again! Until it didn't. After a bit of driving the knocking and leaning out is coming back although so far not as severe and now NO CODES. I have a new downstream o2 sensor, but how the hell could that have an effect?

3.27.17 - After more driving the knocking is back at full force and happens with anything more then very light acceleration. Anytime there is any boost at all it starts knocking.

3.29.17 - I drop off the car in the pre-dawn hours so 034 can figure this thing out. 034 Motorsport said everything was good mechanically. They then put back the stock injectors and flashed the ECU with my previous tune which was the 034 Stage 2 K03 tune. They then said the error codes came right back and think there may be a problem with the ECU itself. Adil said he would have Sonu call me in the morning to discuss the next steps but that 034 would likely put in a temp ECU to see if the codes came back of if not then it is the ECU.

3.30.17 - Well the morning came and past with no call from 034. At 12:15pm I called them and spoke to Sonu who said he spoke to Adil about the car. Now on Wednesday evening Adil had told me that they flashed back to my old tune and reinstalled the stock injectors but that it was still throwing codes so he thought bad ECU. When I spoke to Sonu, he didn't know that had already happened and didn't know anything new. I told him to check with Adil and find out the status of the car and let me know the game plan of what would happen and when. He said he would do some work on the car, run some logs and call me this evening. 6:38pm and no call.

3.31.17 - I called 034 Motorsports in the morning and they said the car was ready. They found a problem with the way the tune was coding the injectors. They made some adjustments, completed a 8 -9 mile test drive and the problem did not come back. They went on to say the ECU was still throwing codes and they believe the ECU to be faulty and that a replacement is needed. I said I would find replacement and bring it to them once in hand. The problem came back 30 miles from the shop...

4.2.17 - I find an ECU and order it.

4.4.17 - I call 034 to schedule a time to come in and get the new ECU flashed. I speak with Adil and let him know the ECU was on order and I'd like to schedule a time at the end of the week. He said not to do that now, but to just call him when I received it and he'd fit me in.

4.5.17 - ECU arrives

4.6.17 - 4:18pm I call 034 Motorsport and leave a voice message for Adil letting him know I have the ECU and I'd like to schedule a time. No return phone call.

4.7.17 - I call 034 Motorsport at 9:54am to see if I can bring the ECU in for it to get flashed. Adil said they were too busy today and the soonest he had available was between Tuesday 4/11 and Thursday 4/13. I explained that I had tried to schedule a time with him this week and they he said he would fit me in. He just reiterated that they were busy and to check my schedule to see when I could bring it in next week. It really came across as a zero fucks given on his part. I said I would have to check my schedule and call back. When I call speak with Sean call back Adil it out to lunch. Sean is able to schedule me for 1:30pm on Monday 4.10.17. After nearly 3 weeks of dealing with this, it would be nice if this finally works.

***FINAL UPDATE***
4.10.17 I went back and it was the tune. I was told the tune would get stuck in some sort of diagnostic loop and then begin messing up. I would have liked more explanation but i believe that could only come from the tuner and it seemed there was no way i would be able to speak to him. It really felt like i got no info on what had happened and what went wrong.

Over all this is how it felt at the end. "Hey, i know we said it was everything else, but it was our tune that was bad but now we've fixed our mistake and well... something was wrong with it but it's good now. sorry for the trouble and having you replace some things that were unnecessary and for saying your ECU was broken but it works now so... see ya."

I have attached a link to a data log i did. Once i went WOT in 2nd gear it knocked and leaned out.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EtaXwKjoVnTlykCz3AeovK4bBGY4YYS79CBRjLZJ1Mg/edit?usp=sharing

Any thoughts and suggestions on where to go next would be appreciated.

RENOxDECEPTION
03-26-2017, 04:30 PM
Thoughts:

It works again because when you clear the codes the ecu relearns, same with when you disconnected the battery.

Have you ever messed with the torque of the knock sensors?

ActiveMonkey
03-26-2017, 04:58 PM
Agreed that the ECU relearns, however disconnecting the battery every day is not a viable solution.

I have not touched the knock sensor. the only sensor i replaced with the upstream O2 Sensor.

ActiveMonkey
03-26-2017, 09:28 PM
Strangest damn thing again. When driving to dinner it was knocking and going lean under acceleration and then it threw a p0130 (O2 Sensor Circuit [Bank 1 Sensor 1]). When I left dinner I though what the hell, cleared it and once again POOF, it runs awesome!

I don't get it...

Updated logs to show before and after dinner.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

skirt
03-27-2017, 11:31 AM
Just a thought, maybe your fuel pumps running out of pressure, i see you have upgraded injectors but nothing about a FP upgrade

ActiveMonkey
03-27-2017, 03:03 PM
If the engine were constantly running lean I can see that being a potential problem however since it runs perfectly after clearing the codes, I don't think it's a pump issue.

RENOxDECEPTION
03-27-2017, 03:10 PM
Get a tune from k0mpressd :p

I'm sure he has one for k04/tt injectors.

If it runs better get your money back from 034.

ActiveMonkey
03-28-2017, 10:21 PM
Right now I'll take what ever tune runs. I am beyond frustrated with this. I went a simple K04 and injectors to avoid these types of issues. As of now I have replaced the upstream o2 sensor twice, changed the maf, changed the spark plugs, and it still goes lean and detonates.

It ran perfectly on the old turbo and tune. Only 3 things changed... turbo, injectors, tune.

I just don't get it.

RENOxDECEPTION
03-28-2017, 11:00 PM
There's also VLMspec in Truckee...Jared is a cool guy, can't vouch for his tunes personally, but I've heard good things.

ActiveMonkey
03-29-2017, 05:14 PM
3.29.17 - Today 034 Motorsport said everything was good mechanically. They then put back the stock injectors and flashed the ECU with my previous tune which was the 034 Stage 2 K03 tune. They then said the error codes came right back and think there may be a problem with the ECU itself.

Not really sure how to feel about this. The car runs great and without issue it's whole life and of all the possible days the ECU could fail, it chooses to fail on the day they flash it with their K04 tune? I'm not saying correlation equals causation but that's one hell of a coincidence.

They said some other guy would call me in the morning to discuss this more.

RENOxDECEPTION
03-29-2017, 10:55 PM
Find an 018ch/m ecu on ebay or in the classifieds

ActiveMonkey
03-30-2017, 06:43 PM
3.30.17 - Well the morning came and past with no call from 034. At 12:15pm I called them and spoke to Sonu who said he spoke to Adil about the car. Now on Wednesday evening Adil had told me that they flashed back to my old tune and reinstalled the stock injectors but that it was still throwing codes so he thought bad ECU. When I spoke to Sonu, he didn't know that had already happened and didn't know anything new. I told him to check with Adil and find out the status of the car and let me know the game plan of what would happen and when. He said he would do some work on the car, run some logs and call me this evening.

6:38pm and no call. With such outstanding reviews all around I am really suprised at my experience so far.

I would like to say that Sean has been great. Very polite and seems to genuinely care and makes sure you are informed as to what is going on with your car.

ActiveMonkey
04-07-2017, 01:39 PM
3.31.17 - I called 034 Motorsports in the morning and they said the car was ready. They found a problem with the way the tune was coding the injectors. They made some adjustments, completed a 8 -9 mile test drive and the problem did not come back. They went on to say the ECU was still throwing codes and they believe the ECU to be faulty and that a replacement is needed. I said I would find replacement and bring it to them once in hand. The problem came back 30 miles from the shop...

4.2.17 - I find an ECU and order it.

4.4.17 - I call 034 to schedule a time to come in and get the new ECU flashed. I speak with Adil and let him know the ECU was on order and I'd like to schedule a time at the end of the week. He said not to do that now, but to just call him when I received it and he'd fit me in.

4.5.17 - ECU arrives

4.6.17 - 4:18pm I call 034 Motorsport and leave a voice message for Adil letting him know I have the ECU and I'd like to schedule a time. No return phone call.

4.7.17 - I call 034 Motorsport at 9:54am to see if I can bring the ECU in for it to get flashed. Adil said they were too busy today and the soonest he had available was between Tuesday 4/11 and Thursday 4/13. I explained that I had tried to schedule a time with him this week and they he said he would fit me in. He just reiterated that they were busy and to check my schedule to see when I could bring it in next week. It really came across as a zero fucks given on his part. I said I would have to check my schedule and call back. When I call speak with Sean call back Adil it out to lunch. Sean is able to schedule me for 1:30pm on Monday 4.10.17. After nearly 3 weeks of dealing with this, it would be nice if this finally works.