PDA

View Full Version : Greddy Intercooler Installation...Pics

quattro8239
12-16-2005, 12:20 PM
Just got done installing the greddy IC on my 99.5 A4. Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure and anyone that's looking to do this.
Thanks to dvs and nizmox for all the help!

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/7533DSCF0091-med.JPG

Brackets from home depot these are the 8" straight brackets used in conjuction with the ones supplied in the kit. I also used that bolts that came with the kit to connect the brackets the distance wound up working out perfectly just below the rebar.

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/7533DSCF0092-med.JPG

The left side was a little tough to install since the ac condenser hoses had to be pushed down, but all in all even with the drop in the intercooler from the original greddy intentions everything still fit great.

More pics of the left side
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/7533DSCF0095-med.JPG
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/7533DSCF0096-med.JPG

Now the right side... the way I decided to install this side most people who have done it probably would not agree but it works for me as the pipe was to low to clear the frame of the car behind the headlight...I used a 90 degree rubber pipe from the stock intercooler piping while cutting the metal 90 degree portion of the piping off, then comined them by the peace I cut off.
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/7533DSCF0094-med.JPG
Waiting on t-bolt clamps for this since there is no lip to hold the commection togather, better safe then sorry.
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/7533DSCF0093-med.JPG

Overall it wasen't to difficult, I was hoping to find a way to remove the stock hose from the throtle body but found that the headlight was in the way of a straight shot, I tried this with 2.5" piping maybe with smaller piping the size of the greddy pipes it might work.
Can't tell you guys how it feels because my car is still on the recovery from the accident, waiting on my hood bumper and software.
Any questions feel free to ask.
Again thank you to dvs18t and nizmox.

tkarwin
12-16-2005, 01:10 PM
Good writeup. I have a few questions; Did you have to lower it that much to clear the stock bumper support? Or why did you lower it so much? How much did you pay for it and where did you purchase it from?

Overall it looks great and I will look forward to hearing some driving impressions. Good luck, Ted.

A4Rob
12-16-2005, 01:12 PM
Lookin good

quattro8239
12-16-2005, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by tkarwin
Good writeup. I have a few questions; Did you have to lower it that much to clear the stock bumper support? Or why did you lower it so much? How much did you pay for it and where did you purchase it from?

Overall it looks great and I will look forward to hearing some driving impressions. Good luck, Ted.

That's exactly why, I'll be using an S4 bumper with this setup, I think it would come down to low for the stock bumper, but I can't say for sure. The price was 650 or 670 shipped from ebay.

tkarwin
12-16-2005, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by quattro8239
That's exactly why, I'll be using an S4 bumper with this setup, I think it would come down to low for the stock bumper, but I can't say for sure. The price was 650 or 670 shipped from ebay.

Awesome! can't wait to see the finished product!

Monchichi8
12-16-2005, 01:52 PM
very nice!looks killer! hope it work as good as it looks

Quattrocket
12-16-2005, 01:57 PM
Im curious. why is it that the Greddy unit is so raved about and supposed to be the best unit available and its only 650. while the other brands cost in excess of 1000 dollars and are smaller and inferior? seems pretty gay to me.
P.S. Great write-up, Im gonna have to use it when i install my Greddy.

AB18
12-16-2005, 02:04 PM
Paul and Austin are both good guys, and know so much about these cars.

bitterchild
12-16-2005, 02:10 PM
greddy is tube/fin. the price is a result of price dumping a la ebay. You won't see that from apr, evoms, etc.

Just compare the price of exhausts for a civic and your a4. $350 to $650

nizmosx
12-16-2005, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Quattrocket
Im curious. why is it that the Greddy unit is so raved about and supposed to be the best unit available and its only 650. while the other brands cost in excess of 1000 dollars and are smaller and inferior? seems pretty gay to me.
P.S. Great write-up, Im gonna have to use it when i install my Greddy.

The reason why is greddy is a japanese brand and all other brands are euro. Euro companies feel that they can charge more. I dont think anyone here will say greddy is crap. Plus if you look at turbo kits for japanese cars they are a lot less than the apr kit and the pes kit why. Because euro brands know that they are the only ones who are producing such products so they can charge up the ass. Anyone who has the mentality that THIS PART COSTS MORE SO IT SHOULD WORK BETTER, is out of their mind. The only argument against the greddy and its cheaper price is the fitament. You have to cut the bumper. Other euro intercoolers are so expensive because suposedly you dont have to cut anything. But i have heard of people who have purchased the evo unit and had to cut their stock bumper. I yet to see anyone who buys the greddy complain about it and like it says in this post, install is not to shabby. Enjoy buddy your gona love this unit. AND MY NAME IS NIZMOSX NOT NIZMOX but i kinda like the sound of it. hehe

Quattro, you should grab this unit or talk to tony aka bitterchild to get you set up on the new sport unit. Should also be a great cooling device. THe core looks superb with its bar and plate design and the piping looks flawless. Both units should be able to properly cool your pc 16 unit.

bitterchild
12-16-2005, 02:16 PM
sport, not race. race/competition is more in the 600hp range

nizmosx
12-16-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by tkarwin

This is a different method of installing the greddy. Austin came up with this method and quite frankly i think its the only way the greddy should be installed. The way greddy intended for it to be installed is exactly how outkast sl has it but that method deems the bumper suport. The suport gets hacked up and half the core is covered by the stock bumper. Thus less flow to the core and you better not get into a fender bender. Austins method wich is the way this one is installed does not cut up the bumper suport at all. This is a similar install method to what you see on the new evos. THats why the evo core looks so low as well (because it is mounted under the bumper support). With the greddy installed like this, you can not use the stock bumper, unless you have some sort of lower lip on it. If anyone has any other questions please feel free to contact me as i have done endless amounts of research and installed two greddys on my car.

nizmosx
12-16-2005, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by bitterchild
sport, not race. race/competition is more in the 600hp range

Fixed it bitter, the post now reads sport. sorry im trying to type fast at work and answer everyones questions.

quattro8239
12-16-2005, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by nizmosx

Quattro, you should grab this unit or talk to tony aka bitterchild to get you set up on the new sport unit. Should also be a great cooling device. THe core looks superb with its bar and plate design and the piping looks flawless. Both units should be able to properly cool your pc 16 unit.

I'm confused lol what exactly do you mean?...I just installed the greddy

Rosati
12-16-2005, 02:59 PM
Wow congrats.

Final pics?

where in jersey are you from?

Cliffside park here.

-Rob

nizmosx
12-16-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by quattro8239
I'm confused lol what exactly do you mean?...I just installed the greddy

Quattro8239 i was talking to quattrorocket when i told him to pick it up. hehe sorry for the confusion

ExpLlclT
12-16-2005, 04:50 PM
[up] [wrench]

quattro8239
12-16-2005, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Rosati
Wow congrats.

Final pics?

where in jersey are you from?

Cliffside park here.

-Rob

Mount Olive North Jersey by Rockaway and Morristown I've been trying to find some people around here that are as much into their car as I am...

Devious27t
12-18-2005, 10:11 PM
Glad that you are happy with the finished product and also that the pictures i supplied could help you. i wish i could have helped you more but i am in the middle of a remodel at my house and havent been on the computer much which is why it took me so long to send those pics to you. Like nismo said if you have any more question feel free to hit me up.

that goes for anyone else who might want to do the DVS install method [;)] for the greddy FMIC. I run 1.5 bar with my T28 everyday and the IATs are incredible. I think I might have to work with paul (nismosx) and those who have installed the setup with the S4 bumper and create a writeup to do it this way.

Oh and for those who want to see just WHY this method will NOT work with a stock bumper I have pics of that also [:p]

OutkastSL
12-18-2005, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by DVS18t

Oh and for those who want to see just WHY this method will NOT work with a stock bumper I have pics of that also [:p]

yup, this method and a stock bumper will mean no lower valance of the oem stock bumper.

AvantSpeed
12-18-2005, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by OutkastSL
yup, this method and a stock bumper will mean no lower valance of the oem stock bumper.

I imagine that cutting out the lower valance will cause it to sag over time. Also what did you guys do the smog pump on the passengerside pipe?

geeboyjibber
12-18-2005, 11:43 PM
Austin(DVS18t) also helped me by providing me with pictures on where to cut the radiator support. I didn't know that there was an "Austin method" when I installed mine but I figured it out that way too. Paul(nizmosx) is also a great guy to deal with, Ive had nothing but positive experiences from both of these dudes.

nizmosx
12-19-2005, 12:21 AM
thanks geeboy, and your manifold is on my car as we speak, i notice the car is pulling longer in higher rpms now. let me know when you get hp numbers for the 2.8 my bro is looking for stuff done

01'A41.8T
12-19-2005, 11:52 AM
Looks real good contrats. I may give this a try. DVS I pm'ed you.

RedRocket
12-19-2005, 12:00 PM
Good work, gotta love the winter DIY action [:)]

bitterchild
12-19-2005, 12:06 PM
winter in jersey is nothing compared winter in canada :p

RedRocket
12-19-2005, 12:16 PM
Probably pretty close. I mean, which part of Canada? Nanavut? If we're talking Nanavut, you can kiss your sweet DIYin' ass good bye.

But here in the GTA, it's just accross the lake from NY State. I'd bet jersey is colder....

nizmosx
12-19-2005, 12:30 PM
California gets colder in the winter. i think its reached as low as mid 70's =D

RedRocket
12-19-2005, 12:32 PM
California, I bet you have to go to a musium to see rust? And guess what, you can use salt on the roads too! :)

nizmosx
12-19-2005, 12:55 PM
lol

quattro8239
12-19-2005, 01:25 PM
I was so excited about gettin it installed that I didn't even realize my fingers were numb...good times lol

Rosati
12-19-2005, 01:50 PM
im sorry, what are your mods?

this is on a stock turbo?

alen
12-19-2005, 04:24 PM
where could i pick this unit up for $600-650?

also, i assume that units for the 00-01 models come with the MAP sensor flange?

quattro8239
12-19-2005, 04:41 PM
My car is set up for the pc16 program, ko4, 3"dp, 310cc inj., adj. fpr.

I got mine on ebay just do a search for a4 intercooler and it should come up. And yes it does come with the spot for the sensor for 00 01.

nizmosx
12-19-2005, 05:24 PM
Yes this kit comes with the map sensor flange. The problem is this kit doesnt come with a map sensor flange eliminator for us non drive by wires. Wich makes you have to drive to home depot to buy some aluminum and silicon sealant to seal off the location. Quattro maybe you should take a picture of the custom eliminator you made so it clarifies it for those who need to install this cooler.

alen
12-20-2005, 09:49 AM
Is this the same unit, 2.25" piping with the MAP flange included?

Item Number: 8023383885

http://www.ebay.com

and type in the number since i can't link the item.

quattro8239
12-20-2005, 11:31 AM
link dosen't work

blacka41point8t
12-20-2005, 11:42 AM
ur radiator is damn clean...

Rosati
12-20-2005, 01:26 PM
i think we need some pics.

quattro8239
12-20-2005, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by blacka41point8t
ur radiator is damn clean...

That's because it is brand new lol

Sherpa
12-21-2005, 12:30 AM
I have this intercooler on my B5 and it gets my stamp of approval.

http://www.mnaudi.com/mymnaudi/images/201/DSC_4184.jpg

alen
12-21-2005, 08:56 AM
shoot your whole car gets my stamp of approval :D

Devious27t
12-21-2005, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by 01'A41.8T
Looks real good contrats. I may give this a try. DVS I pm'ed you.

i tried to pm you back but your pm box was full. i need some measurements. clear out yourbox and i will try and send the pm again.

alen
01-05-2006, 11:29 PM
the little sinusoidal pipe along with the wires is extra, right? not to be used with this IC. also, what did you do with your PS line?

quattro8239
01-06-2006, 09:47 PM
what power steering line??

quattro8239
01-06-2006, 09:52 PM
here is an update
pics with the bumper
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/7533DSCF0113-med.JPG

Right now it's pushing down the bumper a little bit so I'm going to have to raise it up a little bit there's still about an inch of space between the intercooler and supoort bar.
So I finaly got to drive it today and let me tell you it feels awesome. The only comparison I can make is to my old intercooler. The car boosts fast and to 16 psi like it used to with the stock intercooler. When I had my fmic w/ 2.5" piping I was only able to boost 14psi and was running rich because of it. So far I'm extremely satisfied. I also got to log the drive around with vag-com and timing looks great.

littlewhite
01-07-2006, 12:35 AM
Looking good ! [up] I'm looking forward to get mine later this yr