PDA

View Full Version : High flow Cat for '98 ?

Hassmeister
12-16-2005, 08:47 AM
My stock Cat fell out of it's flange last night on the way home.

Anyone here have a '98 A4 1.8t Quatt 5-speed with the "Techtonics" High-flow Cat?

Their site says for 99-04. What would be the diff between 98 & 99?

Hassmeister
12-16-2005, 09:23 AM
Never mind. I called them and it will fit my '98 just fine.

I got the downpipe as well. Now the Audi gets some nice X-mas gifts![up]

Hassmeister
12-16-2005, 09:34 AM
Stock Cat from Audi is $800 - - LMAO!

Poopie
12-16-2005, 09:55 AM
how much was your set up?

EVIL-AUDI
12-16-2005, 09:58 AM
I am sure you explained this to the wife as a "repair" and not upgrade correct[;)]

Jeff
12-16-2005, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by EVIL-AUDI
I am sure you explained this to the wife as a "repair" and not upgrade correct[;)]

I told the wife (GF) the turbo "blew up" (K03 -> GT28RS), my cat "failed" (Cat -> Testpipe), stock IC had a crack in it and must be changed w/ the turbo (SMIC -> FMIC).... it's like the boy that cried wolf though... when my motor really blew up eventually... didnt tell her for weeks til she caught on. [:D] [headbang]

Hassmeister
12-16-2005, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Poopie
how much was your set up?

Cat $295
Downpipe $225

$520 total

EVIL-AUDI
12-16-2005, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Jeff
when my motor really blew up eventually... didnt tell her for weeks til she caught on. [:D] [headbang]

Eventually taking the bus everywhere pisses the chicks off[:D]

Hassmeister
12-16-2005, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by EVIL-AUDI

Oh yeah repair Absolutely!

She was in the car last night when it came out. Cussing up a storm how great her Denali is and how bad the Audi is.
I was laughing (quietly) all the way home while babying at low RPM and slow speeds.

I'm going to use the line... "honey it comes as a kit only" and we saved $$$

She'll key in on the money saving bit and like that.

Shhhh.[;)]

Hassmeister
12-16-2005, 10:38 AM
>>>Now if I can get it to my friends shop to put it on his lift.
It's 5 miles away and the flatbed towing company wants $79 hookup fee for the flatbed then additional $40 for the tow... EEK!

I felt bad last night having to drive home that way. Just wonder if I could do it again without creating any damage to the turbo???

Hassmeister
12-16-2005, 11:10 AM
The fantastic factory part....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/Hassmeister/CatJPG.jpg

offroader1006
12-16-2005, 11:54 AM
very familiar sight.

ugh, the aweful noise and drive of shame home

Hassmeister
12-16-2005, 12:36 PM
Drive of shame is right.
All the Ricers I ran into wanted to race me too.
"This not my car, I stole it."

peja
12-16-2005, 12:39 PM
Did you get the loud "pop" sound right as it happened? Scary sound indeed!

Hassmeister
12-16-2005, 10:19 PM
Yeah I did. "Now what happened?"
The sound was deafening and everyone drives by you looking at you as if... "ain't that an Audi, WTF?"
Can't wait for the new parts and the sooner spool up.
Hell of a time to happen... lucky it was not too far away from home.

CaSp3r9
12-17-2005, 02:07 AM
Hey, I have a 1998.5 A4 1.8t Quattro 5-speed. The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago, my stock cat broke in the exact place yours did. Stupid iron flange. I got the Techtonics high-flow cat installed about 2 weeks ago and I love it! MUCH faster spool up and it sounds AWESOME with my Magnaflow cat-back exhaust. PLUS, it's not soo high flow that it throws CEL's, and once you get it, you'll see how high quality it is. TT makes amazing products! The flanges are twice the thickness as the what's on the stock cat and the welds are perfect. Now all I need to do is get the TT downpipe[:)]
Also... make sure you park your car inside where its warm(er) than outside after you're done driving it, especially with this winter weather... As I'm sure you already know, drive it as little as possible. Your turbo will suck in a ton of cold air after the engine is shut off and that can crawl into your engine and cause serious problems real quick. Not to mention it IS straight exhaust coming out of the turbo and it can melt wires inside your engine bay [down]
Let us know how the new setup works out once you get it installed! [a4]

Hassmeister
12-18-2005, 02:47 PM
The parts will be here Tues or Wed, then and friend who has shop near by will let me use his lift. I'll let you know how it goes once it's here.

I have the Techtonics 2.5 exhaust in stainless and love it. Darrell, Collin, Randy, Jeff (Techtonics gang) and I go way back.
They sponsored me for parts for my '83 GTI in SCCA Racing in the late '80's.
Now the car has a 2.0 liter T.T. motor and a 4.25 ring and pinion in it and limited slip diff that they did for me. And more T.T. goodies to boot.