PDA

View Full Version : Importance of replacing crank/cam seals during t-belt?

elduderino200
03-22-2017, 06:22 PM
I'll be replacing the timing belt for the first time on my car (my first, not the car's first) and with the kit came the two cam seals plus the crank seal.

If there's no signs of leaking should I go through with it? Or let them be? Are these the type of parts that will fail eventually and having the front end apart is the perfect time to do them? Or is there no danger to keep them if they don't show signs of wear/damage?

If replacement is wise, I'm seeing more, one-off, VAG tools (tool 3203, tool 3240BL) to get them in and out. Are they necessary? Or will a small pick to get them out and a large tube to get them in be fine?

Thanks!

99 2.8 AHA

bern_10
03-22-2017, 06:42 PM
As long as they're not leaking, I wouldn't touch them. I have not had to replace my crank/cam seals yet and have had the car for 140k miles.

b5v6
03-22-2017, 08:51 PM
Replace them, they're easy and cheap. Gonna suck to go back in there with it being a V6. Oil leaking can lead to the premature breakdown of other components. If you're the type of person that won't go back in when you notice a slow leak do it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seanf86
03-23-2017, 08:25 AM
If the seals you got are the PTFE seals with no spring in the back side be very careful installing them, even the dealer had issues with my crank seal when my car was in for mechanical damage insurance claim (oil pan smashed, pickup tube ripped off) I tend to leave that stuff if its not leaking, on the other hand a properly installed PTFE seal is supposed to last longer.

I've done 1 cam seal on my 2.7t and I think maybe 1 cam seal on the other 3 1.8ts we have plus the dealer installed crank seal and all 4 cars are high mileage. I wouldn't change anything until its leaking.