PDA

View Full Version : Engine temp in cold weather

CaSp3r9
12-15-2005, 11:15 PM
I have a 1998.5 A4 1.8t with APR software (peaking at 18 psi) with a stock k03 and a stock intercooler. During the summer my temperature guage would always hover around the center mark, where it should be. But now that its winter (approx 30-35 degrees F during the day) up here in Portland, Oregon, my temperature guage hovers around the first mark up from "C", I have yet to see it even reach the second mark, let alone get anywhere close to the half way mark. I was curious if you other 1.8t owners out there experience this same ....problem? If it's even a problem? I try to get my car as warm as possible (atleast 20-30 mins of driving) before I push it hard because I worry the engine is too cold. My car runs perfectly in this weather, It feels very strong all the time. I just don't want to damage anything.
Thanks guys! [a4]

drlandry00
12-16-2005, 06:33 AM
colder weather equals colder ambiant temps equals colder engine temps, there will be no heatsoak whatsoever. I love winter temps because it keeps everything cool. beat the shit outta the car and you will see the temp gauge go up. Mine does what you speak of also, hell, my oil temps are even cooler. the cooler the engine runs the better. no worries man. just gotta love the pulls you get after about an hour of driving at 30deg!! that is all COLD CRISP air flowing into the engine!

and on this post, dave L became a 4 ring general!!!!! i may lay to rest now![az] [az]

jbrentd
12-16-2005, 06:37 AM
cold air = higher density = more O2

CaSp3r9
12-16-2005, 08:52 PM
yeahhhhhhh i love how hard it pulls, i was just kind of worried cuz my engine temp barely lifts off of cold even when im driving hard.

bender
12-17-2005, 12:46 PM
are you talking about coolant temp or oil temp? because you mention that it hovers around center mark. That's normal for coolant temp but def way too hot for oil.

I've only seen my car went that high once and that was pulling a trailer up to mountain with snowchains on my tires on a major highway.

If you are talking about coolant temp then you probly have a stucked thremostat. cars would run rich and you'd get sucky mpgs.

soupie69uk
12-17-2005, 12:51 PM
Yeah i would expect the coolant temp to still reach 90*C whatever the weather.

But i would expect the oil temp to stay very low as it hardly moves at the best of times and if mine does its when the car has been getting a bit of a hard time and when the turbo is glowing.

k0mpresd
12-17-2005, 01:24 PM
if your coolant temp gauge is only reaching a tick mark or two above the "C" then something is wrong...the car should always be up to temperature no matter what the weather...your coolant temp sensor might be bad

if youre talking about oil temps then that is somewhat normal...it will prob run a touch cooler in the winter than the summer

b00st
12-17-2005, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by k0mpresd
if your coolant temp gauge is only reaching a tick mark or two above the "C" then something is wrong...the car should always be up to temperature no matter what the weather...your coolant temp sensor might be bad

if youre talking about oil temps then that is somewhat normal...it will prob run a touch cooler in the winter than the summer

yeah second that.
it like 10 degrees outside and i just got back from a drive and the coolant temp runs dead center. my oil temp gauge is just slightly lower than usual. In spring through fall oil temp for me runs slightly higher than the 2nd tick. with winter here...it runs just shy of the second tick mark.

.:AJ:.
12-17-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by k0mpresd

yea i would be worried if my temp gauge didn't move up farther, even in the winter with cold weather. Up here in seattle ive been starting my car in low 20 degree weather, and while i have to drive a couple miles, my temp gauge eventaully rises to the center ( btw in my 99.5 1.8t)

CaSp3r9
12-17-2005, 03:58 PM
hhmmm.... yeah it could just be a sensor, my 1.8t is a 1998.5 with 109,000 miles, so naturally sensors and stuff are going bad. I am talking about the coolant temp by the way, my oil temp is where it should be. When its warmer out, my coolant temp reaches the center mark where it should be within a couple of miles so I'm not completely sold on the fact that its a sensor... I'm really not sure though. It's probably just cuz its 25-30 degrees around here all the time, I'm not too worried about it; my car is running very well.
Thanks for the responses guys!

k0mpresd
12-18-2005, 06:23 PM
if youre oil temp is normal and your coolant gauge is only showing a mark above C then something is wrong and you need to get it fixed..it is more than likely the coolant temp sensor, it is NOT because its 25deg outside

part # 059 919 501 and seal N 903 168 02

CaSp3r9
12-21-2005, 10:30 PM
thanks k0mpresd - I'm not exactly sure what it is though... the guage is kinda messing with me becuase today it was around 55 degrees out and my coolant temp hovered around the center mark for most of the day. It's probably a sensor going bad, I'll check it out.
thanks for your help guys! [a4]

bitterchild
12-21-2005, 10:44 PM
Sounds like an electrical connection affected by ambient temperature. Check the sensor and the associated wiring.

littlewhite
12-22-2005, 02:03 AM
Mine has been moving down below center and up in the past 6 months. When i did my big service @ 65K, i replace the temp sensor. IT still goes down like 2 marks from center and then goes back up to the center and back and forth and so on. . . (maybe sth is still wrong??)
When it went from center to like C then back up... thats when i figure is time to replace the sensor ($5)

CaSp3r9, which part of LO u in? I was just back to WL last weekend to visit my parents.

CaSp3r9
12-22-2005, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I'm not too worried about it because although I like to have fun in my car, I AM fully aware of the fact that, even though my car is chipped, I DO still have a k03 turbo so it really isn't that fast...[:(] The point is, I'm not tempted to floor it every second I'm in it, so I'm not worried about pushing my engine when its cold.

blackknight - I'm in the westlake area of LO. Opposite side of the lake from where you were. Thats cool your parents are locals. Where in West Linn were you? Are you coming back anytime soon? We should organize a meet or somethin [:)]
[a4]

littlewhite
12-22-2005, 10:46 PM
I'm like @ the border of LO and WL. Across and above the university on hwy 43. [up]

MyAudiA4
12-23-2005, 08:08 AM
It's the thermostat. That's what causing your coolant temp to fluctuate as much. When it's cold out, you'll be fine but carefull when it's starts to get hot outside. You will overheat your engine and that's not good for your Turbo. It's happened to me on a Mustang I use to own 5 years ago. As long as the weather was cool I was fine. When it got hot, my engine overheated and stalled, would not start until it cooled down then it would work fine until the engine overheated again.

RedRocket
12-23-2005, 08:22 AM
^^^Well that depends on if the thermostat is stuck shut, or stuck open. I think his is stuck open.

RedRocket
12-23-2005, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by drlandry00
colder weather equals colder ambiant temps equals colder engine temps, there will be no heatsoak whatsoever. I love winter temps because it keeps everything cool. beat the shit outta the car and you will see the temp gauge go up. Mine does what you speak of also, hell, my oil temps are even cooler. the cooler the engine runs the better. no worries man. just gotta love the pulls you get after about an hour of driving at 30deg!! that is all COLD CRISP air flowing into the engine!

and on this post, dave L became a 4 ring general!!!!! i may lay to rest now![az] [az]

Are you joking? The engine has to be a certain temp to be running correctly. Otherwise it will wear horribly, and produce crap emissions....

What an uneducated ass-spoken post.

CaSp3r9
12-23-2005, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by blackknight
I'm like @ the border of LO and WL. Across and above the university on hwy 43. [up]

Hey... yeah, Marylhurst! I've been in that neighborhood a few times. That's cool.
Happy holidays!

cbass
12-24-2005, 12:12 PM
Just my .02, I fully agree with Red Rocket. There is no way that your coolant temp should ever be anything other than straight up, unless it is still warming up. I would be willing to put money on a thermostat stuck open (happened to my car at about 109,000miles) or a bad coolant temp sensor (mine is still good though).

BTW, I have that exact same year too. Thermostats stuck open are quite common, and they're pretty easy to replace also. Might as well do it with that many miles on there.

diegomatrix
12-24-2005, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by RedRocket
Are you joking? The engine has to be a certain temp to be running correctly. Otherwise it will wear horribly, and produce crap emissions....

lol.. 2nd..

no, wait... actually, let's all drive when the oil temp is at zero degrees... you'll get more hp =)

btw, merry christmas [up] [az]

drlandry00
12-25-2005, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by RedRocket

I understand that the engine has to warm up properly to run its best. And that is how I typed it. I think that everyone knows that you certainly do not beat on a car if it isnt warmend up... however, when the engine is 400000 deg. I dont think it will run very well..

However, if it is warmed up and there are cooler ambiant temps, then YES the car will run better. Cooler air means lower temps means cooler air intake means better performance. As long as it is properly warmed up..

and i awata slap the shit outta you for talking shit like that..

diegomatrix
12-25-2005, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by drlandry00
colder weather equals colder ambiant temps equals colder engine temps, there will be no heatsoak whatsoever. the cooler the engine runs the better. that is all COLD CRISP air flowing into the engine!

i think you are mistaken in the reason why cars perform better with colder temperature and that's why he said shit to you so you don't spread this misinformation.....

think density

drlandry00
12-26-2005, 01:03 PM
[az]

alen
12-26-2005, 03:22 PM
I agree with MyAudiA4. We have the same thing on our 90S (12v engine) where the coolant temp is very very low. It's most likely because the thermostat is stuck open and keeps the engine cool.

BarryT82
12-26-2005, 03:32 PM
Thermostat would be my guess too. The coolant temp. sensor would cause a check engine light.

k0mpresd
12-26-2005, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by BarryT82
Thermostat would be my guess too. The coolant temp. sensor would cause a check engine light.
not always...the sensor can fail and send an inaccurate signal to the cluster causing an eratic temp gauge

littlewhite
12-27-2005, 02:16 AM
I replace my coolant temp sensor and the needle still goes down a mark then back to center and back down 1 mark etc etc. . . will look into thermostat and replace that hopefully soon