PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on AWE Tuning's S4 Euro Ecodes?

TurboForTheWin
12-15-2005, 11:11 PM
Well Im not sure if theyre indeed ecodes, but on AWEtuning ( S4 Euro Projectors (http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shared/part_detail.cfm?PMaI=1&PMoI=4&PEI=6&PP=s4_27t_exterior.cfm&PPT=Exterior&IL=S4EuroLights) ), they sell what looks like a complete clear Euro projectors for ~$600...

Is this the same as ecodes + HIDs? Could I use some HID setup (Protocold's) and not spend thousands?

Sorry for all the questions, this is all for my xmas gifts and I want to make sure I buy the right stuff.

salz2135
12-15-2005, 11:43 PM
Halogen ecodes + aftermarket HID kit will not be the same. The true xenon ecode housing has different projectors/reflectors that optimize beam pattern thrown down.

As a side note, I have halogen ecodes with the RS6 HID kit and love it.

TurboForTheWin
12-16-2005, 12:39 AM
True Ecode HID setup would = $1500 or so, correct?

Halogen based HID setup would only run me ~$800?

Also, what is the difference between those "Euro" S4 projectors, and the cleared out Ecodes AWE normally sells for ~$499?

salz2135
12-16-2005, 01:17 AM
Like I said, the difference will be in the projector housing. Also, the halogen ecodes are made for H7 bulbs. The S4 xenon housings are made to take the D2S HID bulb. If you look inside the two housings side-by-side you will se a pretty big difference in the two. Also, there will be differences underside of the lights where the ballast would be mounted for the xenon housing.

TurboForTheWin
12-16-2005, 06:59 AM
Regarding the DS2 bulb kit (ballasts bulbs etc), does anyone sell it cheaper for than $1095?

lowestA4
12-16-2005, 07:23 AM
I was offering a set in the classifieds which sold $750 shipped. I still have one complete set B6 ecodes with chrome housings stocked.

juju4uofa
12-16-2005, 09:16 AM
Guys, I'm absolutely clueless about how to change my lighting system to High Intensity Discharge. From the searches I've done I thought all I needed were Ecodes which I believe cost $500. Do HID bulbs require a different power system than what I have stock? Please excuse my ignornace but can someone please give a detailed description of how this works. Thanks!

salz2135
12-16-2005, 10:47 AM
when you talk about ecodes, you're just talking about the headlight housings. there are two kinds: halogen and the S4 HID housings. halogen ecodes carry the standard H7 bulb. the S4 HID housings take the D2S bulb. HID systems also require ballasts to transform the electric current.

if you buy the ecodes, you will need to purchase an HID kit (bulbs, ballasts, ignitors, wiring harness) to install. if you go with the halogen ecodes you'll need H7 adapters to keep the D2S bulbs from freely spinning in place.

if you go with the S4 HID housings you'll have to get the OEM valeo HID kit or be prepared to do a lot of dremmel work to make kits like the RS6 one fit.

juju4uofa
12-16-2005, 11:08 AM
This is depressing news. Basically I could upgrade to a K04 or get HIDs for about the same price. As sweet as they are I just don't think I can justify the cost. I'm thinking about just upgrading my stock projector bulbs to the PIAA xtreme whites.

salz2135
12-16-2005, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by juju4uofa
This is depressing news. Basically I could upgrade to a K04 or get HIDs for about the same price. As sweet as they are I just don't think I can justify the cost. I'm thinking about just upgrading my stock projector bulbs to the PIAA xtreme whites.

Don't get the PIAAs as a replacement for HIDs. You will not be happy. I had the PIAA lights before I installed my ecode/HID kit and they didn't help much at all. Also, I didn't spend nearly that much. I think I spent about 500 on the housings and an additional 250 for a hella/phillips Gen4 HID kit. Not bad at all. I love the upgrade.

juju4uofa
12-16-2005, 04:28 PM
That sounds more reasonable. Sorry to ask another question but if you can get H7 adapters to put D2S bulbs in halogen ecodes why can't you buy these adapters for the stock halogen projectors on the car now?

salz2135
12-16-2005, 05:25 PM
you can do that as well. ecodes are not the same as the OEM projectors you have on your car. they have different light cut-off points are not street legal (DOT approved). if you don't want ecodes, just buy a xenon kit and install it that would be the cheaper way to go for sure.

juju4uofa
12-16-2005, 06:04 PM
So S4 ecodes with a HID kit would be around $750, Halogen Ecodes with a HID kit would be around $600 (I think they're $150 cheaper than the S4 ecodes) plus the cost of the H7 to D2S bulb conversion, and my OEM projectors would cost $250 for the HID kit plus the H7 to D2S conversion. I assume you mean the ecodes allow for a wider beam than OEM? Is there that much differnce in the ecode housings to justify the $500?

salz2135
12-16-2005, 06:09 PM
honestly, I never had the OEM 1-piece lights so I can't compare. I know that the ecode lights have much more "direct light"--less light is wasted on places where you don't need it. in the US, DOT calls this illegal. In germany it helps them go fast on the autobahn haha. The HID upgrade will be light and day difference from the halogens whether or not you go with the ecodes+HID or just the HIDs in your current housings.

maybe you could just upgrade your current housings and if you don't like it seems like it would be pretty easy to simply swap out your HID kit into some ecodes. sort of a 2 stage light upgrade if that's what it takes.

juju4uofa
12-16-2005, 06:16 PM
Very good point! Last question (I think), I know where I can get ecodes but where do I order the HID kit as well as the H7 to D2S conversion?

salz2135
12-16-2005, 06:22 PM
I bought my h7 adapters on ebay. I got the hella/phillips Gen4 kit off of audizine! a guy named akinaboy was (is?) selling them. check him out. great communication and fast shipping. he might even ship with h7 adapters now.

TurboForTheWin
12-17-2005, 04:21 AM
Salz, one last question as well:

I am going to go the S4 housing route; which HID kits can I run on said housing and where can I find them?

Or would I be better off in US-spec Ecodes + H7 adapters?

juju4uofa
12-17-2005, 08:11 AM
Here is a link BarryT82 sent me of a DIY HID install on OEM projectors. It's a really good right up and like Salz told me earlier if it doesn't work in the OEM lights big deal then buy the ecodes. You had originally planned to buy them anyway.
DIY HID Install (http://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext36.shtml)

salz2135
12-17-2005, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by TurboForTheWin
Salz, one last question as well:

I am going to go the S4 housing route; which HID kits can I run on said housing and where can I find them?

Or would I be better off in US-spec Ecodes + H7 adapters?

If you go the S4 housing route you should check this thread this out:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66306&perpage=20&pagenumber=3

A guy named diegomatrix did the hella gen4 install on his xenon housings. Like I said before, lots of cutting to get the bulbs/ignitors to fit inside the housing.

Personally, I would just get the halogen ecodes and H7 adapters. Some people say that halogen projectors don't disperse the HID light over the road correctly, but it's the route I went and I'm very happy with the results. I would try and get one of those kits from akinaboy if he still has some. He sells top quality stuff for a VERY reasonable price.

EDIT: also, i'm not quite sure what yo mean by "US spec ecodes." ecodes are not US spec. Did you mean S4 xenon housings vs halogen housings?