PDA

View Full Version : Noob question on compression testing

maxiz1
03-22-2017, 06:59 AM
Hi Guys,
Forgive me for asking this basic question. According to my read up, the compression test should be done after the engine has been warmed up to the operation temperature, then the spark plugs are to be removed. How would you run the risk of stripping the threads while the engine is hot? I always leave my engine to cool down overnight before loosening even 1 bolt.

Turbo_B5
03-22-2017, 07:01 AM
Hi Guys,
Forgive me for asking this basic question. According to my read up, the compression test should be done after the engine has been warmed up to the operation temperature, then the spark plugs are to be removed. How would you run the risk of stripping the threads while the engine is hot? I always leave my engine to cool down overnight before loosening even 1 bolt.

What? You have a less risk of stripping and breaking shit working on a warm engine over a cold one.

Sent from Uranus

Davdraco1
03-22-2017, 07:16 AM
What? You have a less risk of stripping and breaking shit working on a warm engine over a cold one.

Sent from Uranus

Your fine. Go slowly if your worried. But honestly everything is expanded when hot, meaning looser fit.

maxiz1
03-22-2017, 03:55 PM
Thanks guys. Prior to this, my mechanic said one of the cylinder ring has worn out. Can I just change the ring to an oversized one or should it be like changing the whole piston/ring/conrods?

Turbo_B5
03-22-2017, 03:57 PM
Thanks guys. Prior to this, my mechanic said one of the cylinder ring has worn out. Can I just change the ring to an oversized one or should it be like changing the whole piston/ring/conrods?

Simply new rings and a cylinder hone/refresh. You shouldn't need to bore it out for oversized rings. get an engine shop to make sure they are still in spec.

Sent from Uranus