PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Issues...HELP

ezj
03-19-2017, 05:47 PM
So I have a 2001 A4 1.8t AWM. Since I've had it (about 4 months) I've lost more and more coolant to the point where I have been using up to a full reservoir in 50 miles. I noticed a crack in the reservoir a couple days ago and covered that with duct tape and put some duct tape around the cap until I could get a new cap/reservoir this week. This seemed to solve the issue and I drove about 500 miles yesterday and the car ran fine, lost no coolant, got significantly better gas mileage than it usually would (about 26 mpg vs the usual 14-16), and had normal temps (12 o'clock coolant and about 190-205 oil). But today I go and drive my car 10 miles around town and the coolant temp starts creeping up to about 1 o'clock. I also lost a lot of coolant but left no puddles anywhere. What could be wrong with the car? T-stat or Coolant Temp Sensor?

Luis_Heineken
03-19-2017, 05:59 PM
Start replacing the expansión tank and the cap plus get some coolant. Then, report back, good luck

https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-FWD-1.8T/Engine/Cooling/Expansion_Tank/

gtsingh91
03-19-2017, 07:26 PM
A couple weeks ago I drove my B5 to school and the temp gauge was right at the center but on my way home, the gauge stayed at one line past the center for the whole ride home so I thought it would overheat or something. When I got to my driveway, I turned the car off and back on and it was back at the center and has been good ever since. Could've been a stuck needle or something. Did it only happen once to you or is it always creeping at 1:00 now?

As for lost coolant, check the back of the block by the coolant flange. Coolant temp sensor sits right inside of the flange (green sensor). You should be able to see if it's moist and leaking back there.

Luis_Heineken
03-30-2017, 07:36 PM
Any luck?

NolanB7
04-01-2017, 05:07 PM
This! I too have 01.5 awm 1.8t, it is the girlfriends daily driver, she told me while she was working that her expansion tank was out of coolant, which I had recently replaced a few weeks prior due to the old one cracking. Stopped at her work place and topped her off it is still drinking coolant. Went out of state and car sat for 3 weeks, started it too move it and she put out decent cloud of white smoke. No rough start or missing, no loss of power, and no puddles. So now I am starting to second guess myself as maybe it could be the turbo possibly going or even worse a head gasket/ cracked head. Did buy a new t stat, as I thought that was the original problem but now I am unsure. Please help, any insight is appreciated. Also I noticed moisture down around where the t stat is.... I am pretty sure t stat would not cause white smoke....?

RENOxDECEPTION
04-03-2017, 10:47 AM
This! I too have 01.5 awm 1.8t, it is the girlfriends daily driver, she told me while she was working that her expansion tank was out of coolant, which I had recently replaced a few weeks prior due to the old one cracking. Stopped at her work place and topped her off it is still drinking coolant. Went out of state and car sat for 3 weeks, started it too move it and she put out decent cloud of white smoke. No rough start or missing, no loss of power, and no puddles. So now I am starting to second guess myself as maybe it could be the turbo possibly going or even worse a head gasket/ cracked head. Did buy a new t stat, as I thought that was the original problem but now I am unsure. Please help, any insight is appreciated. Also I noticed moisture down around where the t stat is.... I am pretty sure t stat would not cause white smoke....?

When I had a cracked head it was overpressurizing the cooling system, forcing it to evac, also had huge clouds of white smoke.

Very unlikely that coolant from the turbo is leaking into the exhaust...unless by turbo you mean oil seals...which wouldn't explain your coolant loss.

NolanB7
04-15-2017, 05:54 PM
Update, took the b5 out for a ride too see what it would. Started it and again she blew cloud of white smoke. Ran it for thirty minutes or so. Checked in the bay and I had coolant splatter on the blades of fan closet to passenger side, splatter on the intake or turbo inlet hose. Reeked of coolant and saw slight smoke coming from bottom right side of front fender. Expansion tank was down a third from the min line and temp gauge did not move off center line. Still unsure of what it could be as far as head gasket or turbo going. According too Reno above, for the turbo going it would be the oil seals ( which I get) but still can't explain loss of coolant. Also when I got it home and parked it. G12 was dripping from near the rear or belly pan again passenger side.

Blur2u
04-16-2017, 11:19 AM
Update, took the b5 out for a ride too see what it would. Started it and again she blew cloud of white smoke. Ran it for thirty minutes or so. Checked in the bay and I had coolant splatter on the blades of fan closet to passenger side, splatter on the intake or turbo inlet hose. Reeked of coolant and saw slight smoke coming from bottom right side of front fender. Expansion tank was down a third from the min line and temp gauge did not move off center line. Still unsure of what it could be as far as head gasket or turbo going. According too Reno above, for the turbo going it would be the oil seals ( which I get) but still can't explain loss of coolant. Also when I got it home and parked it. G12 was dripping from near the rear or belly pan again passenger side.

Check the coolant feed line that comes from the front main pipe and runs accross the front engine cover towards the turbo to see if there's leaking on that line. If it's leaking from the rear of the engine, check the coolant flange. It's a known part to leak, especially if that piece has never been replaced. It's a plastic piece that attaches to the back of the block. It's between the firewall and the engine. It's also where the thermostat is housed. Stick your hand behind there to see if it's wet, make sure the engine is cool when you do that.

The flanged looks like this..

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-by-ecs-parts/cooling-flange-replacement-kit/058121132ckt/

If it is leaking i suggest replacing it with an aluminum piece made by eurotuning.

https://www.urotuning.com/Cooling-Flange-in-Cast-Aluminum-B5-1-8T-VW-Audi-p/058121132c-cast.htm

NolanB7
04-16-2017, 02:17 PM
Check the coolant feed line that comes from the front main pipe and runs accross the front engine cover towards the turbo to see if there's leaking on that line. If it's leaking from the rear of the engine, check the coolant flange. It's a known part to leak, especially if that piece has never been replaced. It's a plastic piece that attaches to the back of the block. It's between the firewall and the engine. It's also where the thermostat is housed. Stick your hand behind there to see if it's wet, make sure the engine is cool when you do that.

The flanged looks like this..

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-by-ecs-parts/cooling-flange-replacement-kit/058121132ckt/

If it is leaking i suggest replacing it with an aluminum piece made by eurotuning.

https://www.urotuning.com/Cooling-Flange-in-Cast-Aluminum-B5-1-8T-VW-Audi-p/058121132c-cast.htm

Checked the coolant flange and it was fine no moisture on that or the coolant sensor on top of the flange. It seems like the leak is coming from the front passenger side area. Will check that line tomorrow hopefully.