PDA

View Full Version : V8 swap or stroked 1.8T?

JuggernautB5
03-15-2017, 11:08 PM
Hey guy so I've been on the forum about 3 years now, I've had a few B5's A4's and also a B5 S4, rencenlty ive picked up an 01 1.8t 5spd with some miles on it. Right now my plans are to fix everything that is broken an get everything running and driving flawless until I blow up the motor or it dies she has 250k+ on it not sure cause the cluster was changed out to one with less but it's not a big deal because this car is going to a project. Currently the car is in my garage waiting for some new brakes (looking for a bbk, already have S4 spindles on) but while I'm waiting to find some 17z or 18z I'm going to be swapping out the interior with an S4 black interior rather than the grey that's in the car right now an is destroyed so I'm busy with it but the motor runs good in it but once I am done getting everything on the maintenance side complete I'm going to be doing some major updating to the engine currently I have a few different build ideas for the engine and not really sure the pros an cons of everything so trying to gauge some info on my ideas so here they are

Option 1.
Keep the 1.8t doing the internals and put bigger turbo (3076r I was thinking)
Option 2.
Stroke the 1.8t to a 2.0t, build the head with cams and as far as turbo I was thinking twin scroll 35R
Option 3.
4.2 v8 swap out of C5 A6 ( possible PES Supercharger used after its running and all the kinks are out of it)

This car is gonna be used for it all its gonna be my toy drive the hell out of it also to show so that's where I'm not sure Which of these options I'd like to do so just trying to get all the pros and cons for them. I've been into DSM's as well so that's why I was kinda of leaning towards the 2.0 (3 evo's, 2 2nd gen eclipse) but then again to build the 2.0 I could probably just drop the V8 for much less than building the 2.0 so what do y'all think?

mr.agayeff
03-15-2017, 11:20 PM
I have a6 c5 with stroked 1,8t (2.0t) and wanting V8 now ahaha, because of V8 sound and reliablitity for daily using. I am using car daily (driving to work, to groceries and other) and have some problems with coils (I put 4 new rs6 c5 colis, and 2 of them died) and valve stem seals, will solve them and I think it will be good.

yxri
03-16-2017, 06:25 AM
Hey guy so I've been on the forum about 3 years now, I've had a few B5's A4's and also a B5 S4, rencenlty ive picked up an 01 1.8t 5spd with some miles on it. Right now my plans are to fix everything that is broken an get everything running and driving flawless until I blow up the motor or it dies she has 250k+ on it not sure cause the cluster was changed out to one with less but it's not a big deal because this car is going to a project. Currently the car is in my garage waiting for some new brakes (looking for a bbk, already have S4 spindles on) but while I'm waiting to find some 17z or 18z I'm going to be swapping out the interior with an S4 black interior rather than the grey that's in the car right now an is destroyed so I'm busy with it but the motor runs good in it but once I am done getting everything on the maintenance side complete I'm going to be doing some major updating to the engine currently I have a few different build ideas for the engine and not really sure the pros an cons of everything so trying to gauge some info on my ideas so here they are

Option 1.
Keep the 1.8t doing the internals and put bigger turbo (3076r I was thinking)
Option 2.
Stroke the 1.8t to a 2.0t, build the head with cams and as far as turbo I was thinking twin scroll 35R
Option 3.
4.2 v8 swap out of C5 A6 ( possible PES Supercharger used after its running and all the kinks are out of it)

This car is gonna be used for it all its gonna be my toy drive the hell out of it also to show so that's where I'm not sure Which of these options I'd like to do so just trying to get all the pros and cons for them. I've been into DSM's as well so that's why I was kinda of leaning towards the 2.0 (3 evo's, 2 2nd gen eclipse) but then again to build the 2.0 I could probably just drop the V8 for much less than building the 2.0 so what do y'all think?

You should use periods. I guess you never learned anything in school. Anyways I would go v8 route. End of the day much more interesting and probably more fun.

b6Hate4
03-16-2017, 06:42 AM
V8.

Seerlah
03-16-2017, 07:34 AM
Depends on your goal of wanting more up top power or down low usable power.

Nollywood
03-16-2017, 09:39 AM
4.2 V8 40V.

I'm not a fan of the 1.8T motor, regardless of how much power it makes.

b6Hate4
03-16-2017, 09:56 AM
The built 1.8t is a tough choice for some because honestly I have found no matter what gear I'm in, by the time that turbo spools you are already speeding, and heading quickly towards county jail type speeds.

Again, this is MY opinion, for MY car, and the reason a big V8 with some low end punch would be the preferred power plant.

You could of course, get the very best of both worlds and put a rowdy ass 2.7t in.

LA4
03-16-2017, 10:44 AM
The built 1.8t is a tough choice for some because honestly I have found no matter what gear I'm in, by the time that turbo spools you are already speeding, and heading quickly towards county jail type speeds.

Again, this is MY opinion, for MY car, and the reason a big V8 with some low end punch would be the preferred power plant.

You could of course, get the very best of both worlds and put a rowdy ass 2.7t in.

Just my opinion, but I think 2.7T swaps are stupid for a B5 A4. By the time you spend all the time/money you could have just bought a B5 S4. They are so cheap nowadays. Plus you get all the other benefits of an S4, better seats, bumper, brakes, etc.

I vote V8.

TheClutchBoxKid
03-16-2017, 10:44 AM
Don't 2.7 swap it , I heard a wise man say
" don't build a car you can buy "

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87676)

b6Hate4
03-16-2017, 11:11 AM
Just my opinion, but I think 2.7T swaps are stupid for a B5 A4. By the time you spend all the time/money you could have just bought a B5 S4. They are so cheap nowadays. Plus you get all the other benefits of an S4, better seats, bumper, brakes, etc.

I vote V8.

They are pretty stupid.

Seerlah
03-16-2017, 11:19 AM
I like my BT 1.8T. Plenty of usable power due to tune. I find myself driving out of boost 9/10 and power there when I need it. Then the EFR made things that much more tolerable.

Turbo_B5
03-16-2017, 11:40 AM
I choose to v8 swap instead of building a stroker cause its cheaper (I'm rebuilding the whole suspension and drivetrain bushing so not really anymore). I always wanted a v8 the sound [drool], I almost bought a b7 s4. Probably gonna do rods stock bore and a topmount gt2871rs on my beater once the v8 swap is done though. I have a 2.0crank from a golf. thats how close I came to building a stroker.

A1 A2 German
03-16-2017, 11:41 AM
You should use periods. I guess you never learned anything in school.

Do not bring that garbage American mentality here. It's like the most insecure, 14 year old, old and tired, beaten dead horse, rhetoric that plagues every facet of social America, to talk down to each other at every chance possible.

thedanplasse
03-16-2017, 12:02 PM
Do not bring that garbage American mentality here. It's like the most insecure, 14 year old, old and tired, beaten dead horse, rhetoric that plagues every facet of social America, to talk down to each other at every chance possible.

I wasnt going to say anything, but honestly, I was expecting someone to say something sooner..lol [up]

Believer
03-16-2017, 12:05 PM

Damn straight.

Seerlah
03-16-2017, 12:07 PM
Very well formatted [:p]

JuggernautB5
03-16-2017, 12:09 PM
You should use periods. I guess you never learned anything in school. Anyways I would go v8 route. End of the day much more interesting and probably more fun.

Thanks I'm glad your here to to correct my grammar!

Anyways, I too almost bought a b6/b7 s4 cause I wanted the V8 but I love the b5 styling way better an the b6/b7, and it gives me a project to do after I get the driveline and suspension fixed up. Now with that being said I know I need the 4.2 v8 40v, the wiring harness, and also the ecu, but what else is needed?

Turbo_B5
03-16-2017, 01:24 PM
Thanks I'm glad your here to to correct my grammar!

Anyways, I too almost bought a b6/b7 s4 cause I wanted the V8 but I love the b5 styling way better an the b6/b7, and it gives me a project to do after I get the driveline and suspension fixed up. Now with that being said I know I need the 4.2 v8 40v, the wiring harness, and also the ecu, but what else is needed?

http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50232

rodgertherabit
03-19-2017, 09:19 AM
ive been debating this for a while.

Ill probably finish my simple 2867r build on my 1.8t then work on another car/swap.

Ill keep the 1.8t for another project at the end of the day.

JuggernautB5
03-19-2017, 05:56 PM
ive been debating this for a while.

Ill probably finish my simple 2867r build on my 1.8t then work on another car/swap.

Ill keep the 1.8t for another project at the end of the day.

I was thinking of keeping it a 1.8t but seen all the people who do the 4.2 swap an it just looks like a fun swap and more power than a 1.8t and I mean it's a v8 stuffed under the hood how much more of a sleeper could you ask for ..... but my plan is to do the v8 swap get everything running right then throw and APR tune on it drive that for a while an then maybe step up the game later on with a PES G4 Supercharger and then be done with it after that it should be a decent amount of power I'm think 400-450 if I'm lucky

mtwallace85
03-19-2017, 06:29 PM
V8 all the way but I suggest doing your research on PES.

b6Hate4
03-19-2017, 06:38 PM
V8 all the way but I suggest doing your research on PES.

I believe PES is fine as long as you don't use their tune. The software was always the glass jaw of that kit.

mtwallace85
03-19-2017, 07:05 PM
I believe PES is fine as long as you don't use their tune. The software was always the glass jaw of that kit.

That's one of the problems, but the biggest problem is it doesn't have the flow rate to provide a good bump in performance. There's more than enough proof out there. People have tried fixing the problem with different tuning, but the whole thing was an engineering disaster. It's just not worth it regardless of the price.

2 seconds on Google:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/357360-The-real-deal-on-PES-tuning-you-guys-should-love-this

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/484182-JHM-tune-for-PES-supercharged-B6-S4

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/392624-PES-tuning-supercharger-kit

audi@lifeB7
03-19-2017, 09:16 PM
Or why not build the 4.2 and go crazy with it if ur thinking to do a stroked 2.0 remember audis have some power loss if I'm not mistaken is 12% or 20 because of the amazing Quattro

TheRedGlacier
03-20-2017, 04:24 AM
My concern with the V8 has always been that you are jamming an even bigger, heavier engine in front of the axle.. I'd probably only consider it, if I ever felt like cutting the false firewall out, and moving the engine back a little bit. A V8 swap is pretty pointless for me personally, as I have a V8 in my other car. I'd love to ride in a B5 V8 though.

b6Hate4
03-20-2017, 05:23 AM
Or why not build the 4.2 and go crazy with it if ur thinking to do a stroked 2.0 remember audis have some power loss if I'm not mistaken is 12% or 20 because of the amazing Quattro

It's between 20-25%

Seerlah
03-20-2017, 06:47 AM
It's all preference. If I wanted a V8, I would try and afford the 4.0T. Even the B7 RS4 is a very sexy car, yet isn't on my bucket list. Why? Because I would then need to spend more money to have it supercharged. More of a versatility type of guy. And limited to the V8 when I make more power on my current app is unappealing. Of course you can always FI the V8...but then you see where this can go. But once again, all preference. Do what you think you will enjoy the most, and not what another persuades you to do.

JuggernautB5
03-20-2017, 09:15 AM
I know that audi's have some power loss due to the Quattro not a huge deal to me beside if I am going to build the car an put a 4.2 in it, I will put just a stock 4.2 in until I get it running right and everything dialed in and running perfectly before I think of throwing a tune, build the motor or a supercharger on it. an also I never run "canned" tunes I will only run custom tunes because every car is different and reacts differently to tunes so custom is the only way to go in my opinion. This isn't going to be like a weekend project it's going to be a while until it's done and I can source all the parts needed for the swap

Mattr567
03-20-2017, 09:34 AM
My concern with the V8 has always been that you are jamming an even bigger, heavier engine in front of the axle.. I'd probably only consider it, if I ever felt like cutting the false firewall out, and moving the engine back a little bit. A V8 swap is pretty pointless for me personally, as I have a V8 in my other car. I'd love to ride in a B5 V8 though.
I remember that (unless I'm mistaken) the 4.2 is actually lighter than the 2.7TT so it isn't going to be any worse than a S4 in terms of weight distribution.

Sent from my A0001 using Audizine mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87676)

TheRedGlacier
03-20-2017, 09:43 AM
Aha you're right Matt! I see that both engines are 441lbs dry. IIRC, the 4.2 40v is aluminum, and the 2.7T is iron with aluminum heads. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Makes more sense to do the swap haha

thedanplasse
03-20-2017, 12:42 PM
Do a vrt swap. If I could go back to before I bought my aeb, and buy a 12v to throw in, and turbo it, I would've done that instead.

JuggernautB5
03-21-2017, 08:15 AM
Okay so there's a place local to me that has many Audi parts and I can get the 4.2L, wiring harness,and ecu for 1800$ and it comes with a 6 month unlimited mile warranty is that a good deal?

b6Hate4
03-21-2017, 08:26 AM
$1800 is a little steep.

Do a search on www.car-part.com

TheClutchBoxKid
03-23-2017, 04:32 AM
Second that ^ I got a great set up for 800

LA4
03-23-2017, 09:23 AM
Okay so there's a place local to me that has many Audi parts and I can get the 4.2L, wiring harness,and ecu for 1800$ and it comes with a 6 month unlimited mile warranty is that a good deal?

For $1800 you can probably find a C5 4.2 with a bad automatic transmission. Then you can recoup a lot of the money with all the parts you don't need.

JuggernautB5
03-24-2017, 01:27 AM
well it looks like i'm going to be searching else were for the engine. I just liked the thought of a warranty on it all that's why I was interested in the prices. also what engine code is the best one to use? and is the ecu and wiring harness just plug an play for an AWM car?