PDA

View Full Version : Stalled in deep snow? Normal?

SN95Audi87
03-15-2017, 09:43 AM
Hey guys,

I have few questions? I had this car for almost 7 years now and I am bit concerned about the situation that I went through this morning. I didn't bother to dig myself out because I know the power of quattro [;)] in the snow but I managed to get stuck a few times before I got out. Mind you I do have crappy all season tires (no-names) in the front and continental dws in rears. I was powering through the foot of snow when I felt like the car wasn't moving, I let down the rpms and the engine stalled in (D), I also stalled in (R) as well.

I was very surprised to see a tiptronic car stall in the snow. Do these cars have a protection mechanism built into drive-train not to exceed a certain amount of torque when no traction is present or there is more of a underlying issue at hand? I do have fluctuating idle in cold weather. My ignition coils are very old and I do have a upgraded ignition conversion in my house ready to install with spacers. Can a vacuum leak cause this issue as well?

thoughts....?

Nate

SN95Audi87
03-15-2017, 11:36 AM
Bump. Anyone?

Spectre1130
03-15-2017, 12:50 PM
Look into the cause for the fluctuating idle, could be a vacuum leak. Use an OBD2 reader or VCDS to get fuel trims and such. Not really a whole lot of diagnosis to go on, sorry.

clause$
03-15-2017, 02:29 PM
You have mismatched tires on quattro?

Seerlah
03-15-2017, 03:14 PM
FWIW, I stalled out today too in reverse plowing out the snow. Most likely like me, just required more throttle.

b6Hate4
03-15-2017, 03:49 PM
FWIW, I stalled out today too in reverse plowing out the snow. Most likely like me, just required more throttle.

Even with an Auto?

Seerlah
03-15-2017, 06:51 PM
Taking a guess!

OverSpun
03-15-2017, 08:42 PM
Do you have a boost gauge to check vac and boost to see if any leak?

SN95Audi87
03-15-2017, 08:48 PM
Look into the cause for the fluctuating idle, could be a vacuum leak. Use an OBD2 reader or VCDS to get fuel trims and such. Not really a whole lot of diagnosis to go on, sorry.

I do have a proper scanner to do this. What should I be looking for?

You have mismatched tires on quattro?

Yep, I blew out my continental dws tires in city ridden with pot holes...I am still debating on getting a winter setup for next year.

Yeah I could of modulated the throttle to prevent stalling but I just let the rpms drop on its own and it stalled which surprised me. Its like the computer couldn't catch the rpms so it could idle.

Seerlah
03-15-2017, 08:52 PM
Same DBW like me, so very logical reason. I also kept at it with the same throttle, then it stalled. Next time around just gave it more gas and good to go.

OverSpun
03-15-2017, 08:53 PM
You only need a boost gauge to check vac leaks. It should idle ~20hg vac @ idle.

If not stable, check and/or change check valves. Move on to keep looking if that didn't resolve it. That's probly the cheapest step.

SN95Audi87
03-17-2017, 09:02 AM
Same DBW like me, so very logical reason. I also kept at it with the same throttle, then it stalled. Next time around just gave it more gas and good to go.

Yeah that's what I'm going to do next time and have proper winter shoes as well. Thanks for tip.

You only need a boost gauge to check vac leaks. It should idle ~20hg vac @ idle.

If not stable, check and/or change check valves. Move on to keep looking if that didn't resolve it. That's probly the cheapest step.

Next mod to get and install. I do not have a boost guage, I should of bought one years ago.

OverSpun
03-18-2017, 07:20 PM
Next mod to get and install. I do not have a boost guage, I should of bought one years ago.

Boost gauge and VCDS should be the first mods. :)

SN95Audi87
03-20-2017, 01:05 PM
Replaced the old coils today with some brand new coils. The idle fluctuation decreased a lot but every once in a while its bouncy. You really can't even feel it but you can see it with your eyes on the rpm tach. Next stop is to check "check-valves", pcv valve, puck valve on the TIP.