PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a B5 S4 with a salvage title?

IKE20VA4
12-14-2005, 12:38 PM
So a guy on here wants to trade me his 01.5 S4 for my 01.5 A4 1.8T + $600-$700.

Thing is, the S4 has a salvage title, he says from theft. The car is supposedly good as new minus CV joint and the trip computer display needs to be replaced cause it is fading. No mods on it though.

Now my car on the other hand has a few visual mods and also a warranty to 100k. Other than that, everything is perfect on it.

Opinons please! Also if I have left anything out that needs to be known , let me know.

bitterchild
12-14-2005, 12:44 PM
no offense but why would anyone want to trade a b5s4 for an a4 of the same year for no cash especially if it "only needs a cv joint"?

duhvinci
12-14-2005, 12:45 PM
^^ Exactly!!!

Dave01.5Afour
12-14-2005, 12:47 PM
Yes. I have a friend who buys theft recoverys, fixs them and sells them. He put himself through college that way. I would definitely need to see (I mean inspect) the car and I would run a carfax to see if any other major repairs were done.

As to why he would do it, I don't know but modding a 1.8T A4 has to be cheaper than modding an S4.

qtek16
12-14-2005, 12:47 PM
good point dont do that. something is up

qtek16
12-14-2005, 12:48 PM
carfax is only good if things were fixed through insuranc, my buddy wrecked his eclipse three times, but the carfaxs had nuthing on it because he got it fixed "under the table" if you wanna call it that lol

IKE20VA4
12-14-2005, 12:48 PM
well for one because it has a salvage title and has been a PITA to try and sell with an unclear title. Also he needs to "lighten the financial load, because he is going to school".

I totally see where you are coming from. "IF it is too good to be true, it probably is."

But, it could just be that the guy needs the money and doesn't want to try to keep selling it anymore.

IKE20VA4
12-14-2005, 12:52 PM
all good points.

i agree, the car would have to be gone over w/ a fine tooth comb.

also i know that sometimes not even carfax can tell you if a car has been totaled or not if work is done "under the table"

The car is in So Cal, I am in NW Oregon. That would mean roadtrip or flying down there. 20 hr drive, 2 hr flight. Finding a flight this time of year for cheap...ugh

bitterchild
12-14-2005, 12:53 PM
So you're saying the guy wants to trade for your car b/c yours will be easier to sell? That's downright ridiculous

EVIL-AUDI
12-14-2005, 12:55 PM
So he's a member here as well huh

IKE20VA4
12-14-2005, 12:58 PM
well you are bitter.....[;)]

yes he is a member, Jumpstv4

it says he has 0 posts...blast!

NogaroA4
12-14-2005, 01:00 PM
I almost bought a s4 today with a salvage title...They dont sell for much..You can pick up an s4 from the auction for about 11k that was a theft recovery put about 1k into and for 12k you have a running s4...On the other hand from personal experience I bought my audi a4 that was a theft recovery...and although (knock on wood) my car starts up and drives like brand new it does have a few electrical problems due to it being a theft recovery and not only did the theives steal the parts from the car but then cut the wiring harnesses...so depending on how it was fixed it could be a good deal or it could be the begining of a huge headache

Hassmeister
12-14-2005, 01:01 PM
Trouble=salvage title

Gundem
12-14-2005, 01:03 PM
there i something up. teh way i see it he has hard tiem selling the S4 (maybe) because of other ppl who've actually seen the car and checked it, have seen some pretty critical point. again it's salvage you can never be 100% confident with it...

IKE20VA4
12-14-2005, 01:06 PM
Hmm, thanks Nogaro. He's trying to get rid of his for 13.5k. But all the theft damage has been taken care of. Don't know how it was fixed though. I think he bought it with the salvage title too. The poor car just has a chain of hell strapped to it.

here's the add: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71826

bitterchild
12-14-2005, 01:40 PM
right off the bat neither of those fenders or bumper are aligned right. That took me about 20 seconds.

R-Dub
12-14-2005, 01:44 PM
No F'ing way would I trade my car for that.

BzeB5A4
12-14-2005, 02:29 PM
I'm not saying that theres not something up with the car, but I can at least vouch for saying that the guy selling it is pretty legit.

I bought his BoostGuage & Apexi TT for pretty good prices. Transaction went smooth and fast delivery.

NieFolgen
12-14-2005, 02:38 PM
Depends, if you're planning on keeping it long term, then the title really doesn't matter as long as it wasn't damaged or messed too seriously, and it was repaired well. However, if you plan on ever selling it then a salvage title kills your chances for a good sale. (ie. everybody here who disagrees with the idea of buying a salvaged title car)

MR VTEC
12-14-2005, 03:40 PM
Salvage always hurts the sale of a vehicle because of the unknown's but realisticly how hard is it for a insurance company to total an audi with the price of replacement parts. the person before him probably did an ins job on it. If it was local and i could bring it to my mechanic i would seriously consider a trade. i have a body shop the can line that shit up lickety split.

goldenchild
12-14-2005, 03:51 PM
well its a gamble right off the bat to buy a plane ticket or spend the gas to just look at it. i did however buy a salvaged car before still ran great and everything worked great. obviously the body shop that fixed was the one that gave the lowest bid in no way did an audi dealer perform that shit. but if it was a theft recovery only id do it but yes it will be expensive to mod and if ur a diy guy im sure more of a bitch to work on.

robsilvr85
12-14-2005, 04:11 PM
Why doesn't someone in SoCal check the car out for you?? I'd be easier than driving of taking a flight down there rather than speculating n stuff.

nizmosx
12-14-2005, 04:15 PM
UMMM those turbos on the s4 are about to go, He is trying to stick it to you, If anything buy the car off of him. Drive it around for a while, If it seems kosher sell the a4.

bitterchild
12-14-2005, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by nizmosx
UMMM those turbos on the s4 are about to go, He is trying to stick it to you, If anything buy the car off of him. Drive it around for a while, If it seems kosher sell the a4.

That's not a bad idea but I'm guessing he can't afford to do that. And if that's the case you probably don't want the cost of maintaining and repairing an s4.

IKE20VA4
12-14-2005, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I'm just not financially sound enough to take a gamble like that. That's exactly what I don't want to happen, is trading it up and then having the turbo's or something else take a crap on me.

I like the idea of having someone in SoCal check it out for me. But that just wouldn't do it for me. I just don't think I could trust someone else to basically buy the car for me.

Bitter, about the bumper/fender not being aligned correct. I did see that too. But did you ever think it could possibly be the headlights not aligned right? I know after taking mine off a few times, sometimes if you throw them on really quick it can look a lot like that.

Also I found some interesting information. I was reading the CARFAX. It has had 5 owners....that's always a good sign. On the CARFAX itself it says that 10 states use Salvage title to indicate theft. But California is not one of those 10 states!

Not going for it...I could make a sardine sandwich with all the fish in that car.

BavarianAudi
12-14-2005, 05:32 PM
actually i think CA does salvage theft recoveries.

IKE20VA4
12-14-2005, 05:33 PM
well i'll have to do more research. that was just going off the carfax itself.

b00st
12-14-2005, 09:28 PM
plus you can't get a salvage title insured. i think for us....once they go salvage title...they can't qualify for insurance. maybe for some of the shittier insurance companies but i think its all the same for the top companies. its been a while since i looked into the ruling on it...a buddy asked me about it....he found a salvage titled supra. but we couldn't write.

IKE20VA4
12-15-2005, 12:47 AM
ahh...that would be bad...yeah...i am happy with my A4.

Jumpstv4
12-15-2005, 03:11 PM
well hey...... if your going to talk about someone's car at least invite him the the forum to defend himself. here is goes. the first post made by Scarzie is pretty much irrelevent because my car was never "trashed". if you consider taking off headlights and bumpers trashing a car then all you with "E" codes and bodykits have "trashed" your cars. further more, the originator of this post is offering to trade me 01 A4 which he himself has disassembled over and over. i gave credit where credit was due and told him he had a good looking ride. not once did i say it was trash. As for DannyDeez, you must be one of those suckers that takes your car to the dealer to pump your gas for your. keep in touch with 20VTURBOA4 and maybe he can teach you a bit on DIY. the only valid point made here was by Everybodylikepi. reselling is a bitch, but it still does not discount from the fact that the car is pristine.
Lastly, when it comes down to it, who buys a car based on what other people "tell" them. 20VTURBOA4..... your a DIYer, drive the car, take it to a mechanic, educate yourself with useful information. the carfaqs alone tells you the car has never been in an accident, it was never junked, never sent to an auction, not a lemon, has great miles, no odometer rollback, no frame damage. when you see the car in person it speeks for itself. and yes S-fear, both halves of the car are the original halves.

P.S. ------ the car is sold!!! Funny thing is that the buyer saw my car on this post and took the initative to do some real research. Maybe next time you wont judge a book by its cover and still be driving a sluggish A4.

Jumpstv4
12-15-2005, 03:23 PM
oh ya ....... if you were all really wondering. i really am in medical school at Loma Linda Unverisity. what are you doing with your life?!?!?! i can smell the can of sardines from here!!

bitterchild
12-15-2005, 03:48 PM
you went from defending yourself to losing respect all in one post. The second didn't help much either. Regardless congratulations on the sale.

Evil, please kill this one.

Jumpstv4
12-15-2005, 03:53 PM
for all of you in doubt of the credability of this car read the post made by A-list:

hey peoples havent been on in a looong time..but i was reading this post and i have to say that ive seen and DRIVEN jumpstv's S4.... its a super clean car. the turbos are kick ass like they should(strong, not worn down), interior is clean and exterior is immaculate, from what i last remember the exterior had little to none rock scratches. no big dents or breaks, no big gashes or scratches(which was surprising to me cause i bought an a4(2000) not too long ago and was surprised at all the scratches and small chips it had on the exterior, and compared to jump's s4, i was astonished that mine had so many little blemishes and his ride looked strictly garage kept..yes its a salvage title but dont discredit his vehicle because of that.. its a fine ride and from what i saw there is no evidence whatsoever that it had ever been in an accident.... lol i didnt tell jump this, but when i took it for a spin i took it to a local auto body shop just out of curiousity to ask and see if any of the mechanics there could find a spot where maybe it had been fixed from a prior accident....NONE..so its a legit ride..i almost bought it but i couldnt get rid of my slow ass tip a4(i cant let that car go for 10k,offer i got ONCE for her lol)...so for now im stuck wit.. jus had to give my 2 cents ;O)

Jumpstv4
12-15-2005, 03:54 PM
................ your name says it all bitter child. does your life suck?

R-Dub
12-15-2005, 03:55 PM
Laaaame.

Jumpstv4
12-15-2005, 03:58 PM
you dont even own an Audi.... what are you doing on this site?

Jumpstv4
12-15-2005, 03:59 PM
just like your lame A4. go to school and save some cash R-dub.

R-Dub
12-15-2005, 04:10 PM
Oh noes! Flaming!

Chill out man, I just dont find it amusing when people rip into other on the internet.

Save the drama fo yo' moma [:o]

And just for the record, I do go to school - which is why I dont have a more expensive car - tution is expensivo!

Jumpstv4
12-15-2005, 04:17 PM
"No f-ing way i would trade my car for that" you found the need to add your 2cents and contribute to ripping into someone behind their back... is there no difference? ignorance is no excuse. and yes i know tuition is a bitch, i pay 35 per year for medschool.

R-Dub
12-15-2005, 04:21 PM
It wasnt a rip - it was my opinon, he was asking for out opions when he posted.

And no, I wouldnt, I love my A4 and my ins. company doesnt cover salvs.

And, as bitter did point out, there are mis-alignments that would drive me nuts.

Dont take it as a stab, you sold the car did you not?

Jumpstv4
12-15-2005, 04:27 PM
one simple question..... If several people were talking trash and making assumption of your integrity, would you not be offended?
I am............... that just MY opinion. my insurance AAA gave me full coverage. and like i said, would good does all this talking do, take the initative and check the car out for yourself. even if the car is sold, that doesnt mean you all havent been misrepresenting my credability. not cool!

R-Dub
12-15-2005, 04:43 PM
Lol, ok man. Sorry for emotional stress you got.

flyinb501
12-15-2005, 04:45 PM
Calm down dude. You sold the car so who gives a sh!t.

Jumpstv4
12-15-2005, 04:52 PM
flyinb501 mind your business. everyone giving their opinion gave a shit..... well, so did I. if you dish it out i can handle it. it sounds to me like no one can do it to my face. you were all so eager to post your opinions on this topic and no one wants to ask me a legit question. Bitter Child has even proposed to "kill" me. what's all that about? im tired of dealing with kids. why doesnt a "man" post something. its funny that everyone opposed to looking at my car drives an A4. all those with S4 were atleast open to checking it out. :)

Jumpstv4
12-15-2005, 05:02 PM
flinby501........nice car, looks just like the one i sold. but not quite.

94jedi
12-15-2005, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Jumpstv4

ok douche bag you sold your s4, now get out of the audi scene go to med school. you're done here. be gone.

Evil, put down your diet coke and end this thread before it gets heated.

MR VTEC
12-15-2005, 06:35 PM
it sounds to me like no one can do it to my face.
I want your computer you can see other members and stuff cool! [cool]
This is the internet. And if you told me that you didnt have any reserve buying the salvaged car when you picked it up i probably say you are lying!!! [up] But that neither here nor there... 1

Jumpstv4
12-15-2005, 07:43 PM
hey Mr. VTEC, you type like a 2 y/o. when i say "to my face" its the opposite to shit talking behind my back, which is how this thread originated!! are you that stupid that i had to spell it out. its too bad i love honda's. i have a turbo charged 01 integra LS/VTEC. did the work all myself. and yes i did have a reserve but you wont believe the rediculous offers ive had. 94Jedi...... you sound like a loser. do you live in your garage amongst you "bunch of crap." do you even own an Audi?!?! Where do these people come from sticking their noses where they dont belong.

Quattrocket
12-15-2005, 08:07 PM
P.S. ------ the car is sold!!! Funny thing is that the buyer saw my car on this post and took the initative to do some real research. Maybe next time you wont judge a book by its cover and still be driving a sluggish A4.

WOW. You sound pretty snotty for someone who drives a salvaged S4.

R-Dub
12-15-2005, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Quattrocket
WOW. You sound pretty snotty for someone who drives a salvaged S4.

LMAO!

I dont care who you are - thats funny![:D]

LateraLex
12-15-2005, 08:24 PM
Nice maybe every forum can turn into fight club.
Level up Jumpstv4

bitterchild
12-15-2005, 09:11 PM

Yes it does, thanks for noticing.

you dont even own an Audi.... what are you doing on this site?

Hope you weren't referring to me?

Originally posted by bitterchild
Fuck You

have a nice day

IKE20VA4
12-15-2005, 11:17 PM
i go to portland for the day and all hell breaks loose

IKE20VA4
12-15-2005, 11:40 PM
But anyways...

I didn't know asking for others help was so bad...

I know there are honest people in the world. Don't be mad because I didn't trust you. I don't even know you and you, you had 0 posts on here before. Only 1 other guy had heard of you, through buying something off you. Trust is a big thing for me and I couldn't put it all with you after meeting you over the internet. You need not take any offense to that.

EH6
12-15-2005, 11:46 PM
When bitter said "kill this one" he meant the thread douche

docurley
12-16-2005, 02:00 AM
Bloody hell what happened here!!!

My car is salvage Stolen/recovered that I based my RS4 project but I knew the details of the car and what needed doing so salvage can mean good bargains if you check them out.

But I have to say Jumpstv4 that your reaction to people discussing your car is way OTT and all your doing is fighting fin air and making your self-look very immature.

If someone is not sure about something and requires advice then I see no reason why they should not post up here. People with give their personal opinions on matter even if they don't have all the facts.

This was never a personal attack on you it was on someone who was not known to anyone here. As it turns out you are known by others and you did checkout to be ok but your reaction is uncalled for and I would suggest you calm down because all that will happen is your goner have people tug on your bells.

Now you will take this as advice and calm down or your insult me to in someway its up to you but I think you have well overreacted

diegomatrix
12-16-2005, 02:40 AM
..........funny shit..

all i saw coming out of Jumpstv4's mouth was:

"blah blah blah blah!! blah? blah? BLAH!"

DannyDeez
12-16-2005, 05:08 AM
oh ya ....... if you were all really wondering. i really am in medical school at Loma Linda Unverisity. what are you doing with your life?!?!?! i

Any idiot can go to med school. That impresses absolutely nobody. Why dont you post back if you ever graduate. As for you Turbo LS/VTEC, big deal. I used to be big into Hondas myself before I realized what pieces of shit they are. Once again, that impresses noone.

And where do you get off telling someone to get off the site because they dont own an Audi when you dont even own an Audi. Dick. http://forums.clubrsx.com/images/smilies/thefinger.gif

Originally posted by 20VTURBOA4
I didn't know asking for others help was so bad...

You did the right thing by asking for our help and opinions. He just got mad because we killed his plans to rip you off.

Scarzie
12-16-2005, 07:09 AM
flinby501........nice car, looks just like the one i sold. but not quite.

yea... not quite... nicer... now gtfo of these forums now that u sold that, and go learn about girls in med school since you obviously cant do that in real life...

And i might have been impressed if ive ever heard of that med school...

Jumpstv4
12-16-2005, 08:49 AM
If you've never heard of LLU you must have been living under a rock. The were the first hospital to put an animal heart into a human successfully. educate yourself. browsing through Audizine forums doesnt constitute reading. pick up a book! "any idiot can get into med school?" DannyDeez........ your 23..... i bet your working the 9-5 just to make payment on your shitty S4. i bet you either still live at home or on your car. livin' the american dream! you obviously have nothing that matters to do in life with 640+ posts on this site. i just laugh at you low-life's living your lives through how "nice" your car looks. best part is that all you with A4's try to make you cars look like an S but you still kow your living a lie! Ha. this is all a mind game and you all are playing into it just like i wanted you to. the car is sold, in 13.5k richer. i still drive an 01 santorin S4 (clean title), and i got you all heated. haha

PS.. Scarzie... have you even hit puberty yet? i dont deal with girls....... thats for boys. i could have your mom if i wanted! you dont have to lie to kick it. everyone knows you dont even have a license yet.

Jumpstv4
12-16-2005, 08:55 AM
Im down for the Fight Club too. You all seem like a lively bunch. I call dibs on Scarzie...... the "kid" claiming daddy's car to be his own! I wont mess with Bitter Child though... hes seems to be a bit too fragile with oodles of "hidden issuses". kinda like a salvage vehicle. ha

IKE20VA4
12-16-2005, 10:54 AM
Jumpstv4 I hope you aren't really as worked up as you seem on here. Because you have to understand that on a forum like this people will give their opinion no matter what.

No not anyone can get into medschool, but don't put yourself up on some pedestal just because you are going to medschool. That makes you no better than the rest of us... I have tons of friends who are going to medschool.

I'm done

Evil....Either Sticky it or Lock it! [;)]

joeya103
12-16-2005, 11:11 AM
i was taking a break from studying for my finals, and man, this was quite an entertaining read! =D

how the hell is someone gonna get that offended at something like this? it'd be a different issue if we knew him, saw him face-to-face, then called him shady (if some random screen name on a forum called you "gay", would you get all fired up and defend yourself? if they don't know you personally, why the f*ck do you care so much?).

as far as the internet is concerned, EVERYthing is shady until proven otherwise. and what's wrong with being wary of purchasing a salvage title car?

oh man, thanks for the laughs.

*i also think it's funny how he bashes on A4 owners, implying that we're cheap, while he's pulling out 35K a year on loans for school. getting an expensive and somewhat problematic car is soooo practical and smart buddy. heck, i could be face-deep in debt and get myself an S4 too, but i'd rather drive a nice car and not graduate law school with a mountain of loans.

bitterchild
12-16-2005, 11:40 AM
I wont mess with Bitter Child though... hes seems to be a bit too fragile with oodles of "hidden issuses". kinda like a salvage vehicle. ha

Full of hidden issuses , thanks. I hope you're a bit more meticulous when you're practicing.

EVIL-AUDI
12-16-2005, 11:45 AM
Some of you guys really need to grow up.

BTW don't ask for me to lock things. I will make that choice myself